Touch of Blue (Dondello is back)

drstawl

Banned
Nope- the problem was the server at my ISP. For some reason they've cut off my access to my own web server and numerous other ftp sites. But I can still get this site and my E-mail still works so I did the D/L on the DSL line at work and e-mailed it to myself.
Not as much energy in this tune as your others but that tone was very cool and your technique has improved.
I'd suggest doing that John Winter thing and lay down two rhythm tracks panned hard, and keep the lead closer to center. Maybe move it abruptly when you switch tones on the lead. I wish I could just crank a real amp in my studio ..... :(

Yes, it was a conscious effort to put less energy into this song ... less 'excitable' energy, anyway. I just listened to my previous 3 songs and heard my friend's voice in my head, "Yes Nick, you can do the pentatonic; but do you *really* remember your scales and modes?" This is the resounding yes. I wanted to record something a little more mature, maybe the tube amp brought it out of me. It really is a beautiful sounding amp...

Hi folks! I've finally recorded something new. It's not very long, but I recently bought a new amp and I had to record something with it. It's an all-tube Fender Blues Deluxe, about 3 or 4 years old, bought it used. Anyway, I think you'll enjoy the song (it's a bit of a departure for me, but my lead guitar playing has improved again!) ... thanks for always supporting my stuff!

www.mp3.com/dondello

Super good sound...great tone on the guitar...I ran it through my home stereo and cranked it...felt like I was in the same room with you.......gibs

"artists.mp3s.com" is where I get re-directed when I go to the address you gave. Is there a problem with mp3.com?
Same behavior when I just go to their site and search for Dondello. It returns a positive search result and then directs me to a non-existent page.

Worked for me, must just be mp3.com being testy......although for about an hour this morning, HR.com was unavailable...maybe there's too much traffic now that the virus thing has calmed down....gibs

Thanks, GT. After avoiding it for a few days, I compared the mp3 with the N-track WAV master, and the mp3 file lost a LOT of the feel. The mp3 almost sounded like somebody was playing a tape with DNR on that wasn't recorded with DNR. Loss of highs. Despite S2K's advice, I'm still using BladeEnc; maybe that's the problem. Anyway, thanks for listening, everyone! Still waiting for ol' S2K's response, but I guess he's pretty busy with the Comp CD that I have nothing to do with. :( Ciao!

That smokes man!!

I'm always up for some tasty guitar playing and your "view" on the blues is certainly very refreshing... if you deliberately wanted to record something more "mature", then you've certainly pulled it off.

Great work!!

Way to go Dondello. That was a sweet little number, and damn good and tasty playing I must say.
bobbo

[This message has been edited by bobbo (edited 05-11-2000).]

Man I just love listening to your shit Dondello....every single time you post, you're like 100% better than the previous post. And every time it seems to come from the heart...or at least someplace *real*. Totally cool.

The sweet spots in this tune...

0:32 to 0:40 ... the kind of move that makes me go 'errrrrr'

0:45 ...is it just me or I can hear you grunting a bit? I hear somethin in the background. Maybe I'm just imagining it. One thing I always thought cool about Buddy Guy's style is that he's always groaning & grunting while he's playing...really getting into it.

1:13 to 1:20 ... same as the first one. Dude that's a really perrty change...

Killer tone. The only thing that would help is a bit more vibrato...grab those fuckin strings & shake the piss out've em. :)

There's something really natural about your sound. Maybe it just takes me back to those jams that I miss so much.... I might just have to buy that DAM CD when you get it done.

Slackmaster 2000

It really means a lot hearing this from you guys; thanks. I always thought it was neat documenting my growth over the past couple years, luckily I'm not the only one. :) I was on a bit of a plateau, as they say (check out "Lot Six", my most boring, uninspired work) ... but my first tube amp seems to have set me back on the right road. Actually, I was sitting in my bedroom picking away the other day through my original amp (the one a I recorded the previous songs with, a Squier Sidekick, ugh) and I thought I had lost everything I'd gained! It was strange... But yesterday, I hopped back on the BD, and all is still well. :)

Thanks again for listening. S2K: I don't remember grunting, but I may have been possessed by someone who can actually play... so who knows? All three guitars (yes, the bass still uses my old trick) are first take. I actually recorded about 10 lead guitar tracks because it was so fun to play with, but I still ended up using the first one for the mp3. The switch to overdrive is all footpedal ba-by, not an overdub. :)

S2K: I listened to it again, and at 00:45, I'm pretty sure it's my cat meowing in slo-mo (bass track). She doesn't like my new amp, and tells me so as often as she can.

Back