Too much wah?

Sage97

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=248672

It's the second song called Milky Way. Hate to say it but this is a rather boring acoustic rendition of the 80s song. Nothing special at all.

I just bought a wah and wanted to add it to this song. It's somewhere around the middle and the end part of the song.

I thought it added a funky quality to the song but now I'm not sure if it even needs to be there. The whole things still needs a lot of work - especially my wah playing.

I'm no lead guitar player that's for sure. Let me know what you guys think.

woah, yeah man keep that! Nice, nice, it makes the song. mabe if you add little sections of wah after the 1st middle part just a short "wahhhhahhwahhh" in there and maybe in the last chorous before the ending wah you double it up with the clean guitar (the clean guitar still dominating it of course though).

but yeah, not bad man. :D

Sage97 said:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=248672

It's the second song called Milky Way. Hate to say it but this is a rather boring acoustic rendition of the 80s song. Nothing special at all.

I just bought a wah and wanted to add it to this song. It's somewhere around the middle and the end part of the song.

I thought it added a funky quality to the song but now I'm not sure if it even needs to be there. The whole things still needs a lot of work - especially my wah playing.

I'm no lead guitar player that's for sure. Let me know what you guys think.

Hey Sage97,

The wah is a very sweet effect when used in the right context, I think you used yours in just the right context, very fitting of the song!

The wah can give a very fluid sounding effect, I love the wah!

Nice work, very subtle use of the pedal!

I have a tune on my Soundclick page called "Hyperactive Wah Wah" where I used the pedal all the way through it!

Thanx for sharing with us Sage97.

Gorty :)

You guys are too kind. Really appreciate the compliments.

hrwmusic,

Will try to add a little bit more wah as you recommended.

Gorty,

Will check out your hyperactive wahwah when I get home. Can't from work.

Thanks again.

Nice tune man...excellent vox. Nice guitar tone. (I also dug Seether.... :D )

Again, nice vox. How'd you record, and process them? They sound very natural, but sit very well in the mix. For such a sparse tune, you got it all sounding very good man. The wah is NOT too much. You used it as an effect, and it enhances the tune well.

Excellent man......... :D

Dogman said:
Nice tune man...excellent vox. Nice guitar tone. (I also dug Seether.... :D )

Again, nice vox. How'd you record, and process them? They sound very natural, but sit very well in the mix. For such a sparse tune, you got it all sounding very good man. The wah is NOT too much. You used it as an effect, and it enhances the tune well.

Excellent man......... :D
Dogman,

You certainly have the best avatar I have ever seen. Didn't you use to have a yellow bus or something?

I used an NTK for the vox through RNC and RNP into an AKAI DPS 16. That's pretty much it.

Seether was an experiment with 2 OD pedals and different settings on an EQ pedal. All mic'd with a 57.

Primarily a vocalist, I know my playing needs a lot of improvement but I'm practicing guitar like crazy.

Thanks for listening.

Gorty said:
Hey Sage97,

The wah is a very sweet effect when used in the right context, I think you used yours in just the right context, very fitting of the song!

The wah can give a very fluid sounding effect, I love the wah!

Nice work, very subtle use of the pedal!

I have a tune on my Soundclick page called "Hyperactive Wah Wah" where I used the pedal all the way through it!

Thanx for sharing with us Sage97.

Gorty :)
Holy crap Gorty!! I hope someday I'll learn to play like you.

I am not worthy.

Sage97 said:
Holy crap Gorty!! I hope someday I'll learn to play like you.

I am not worthy.

Hey Sage97,

Practice,......That's all it takes, and a love for the guitar!...Put those 2 together and you will get there! :)

Thanx for the morale boost! :)

Gorty

Gorty said:
Hey Sage97,

Practice,......That's all it takes, and a love for the guitar!...Put those 2 together and you will get there! :)

Thanx for the morale boost! :)

Gorty
I have those two......what's missing is natural talent.

But that's never stopped me before so I'll keep trying.

Vocals sound excellent man. I like the acoustic tone alot, its not bright or harsh in anyway. Back up vocals sound really nice. Think the wah sounds great, not overused at all. I don't have any real mix comments other then for some reason at the very begining of the song I got a really weird high pitched tone, checked it twice thinking its probably soundclick - still maybe soundclick, just a heads up. Great song man, listening again - love those vox.

Take care
gary

gbav said:
Vocals sound excellent man. I like the acoustic tone alot, its not bright or harsh in anyway. Back up vocals sound really nice. Think the wah sounds great, not overused at all. I don't have any real mix comments other then for some reason at the very begining of the song I got a really weird high pitched tone, checked it twice thinking its probably soundclick - still maybe soundclick, just a heads up. Great song man, listening again - love those vox.

Take care
gary
Thanks Gary.

Can't seem to hear the high pitched tone you're referring to. Do you think it is a technical problem or is it in the recording somewhere?

Hey man,

Tune: Very very nice. Nice rendition. I don't know the 80s version. So I know this version only.

Playing: I like the playing very much. Very cool.

The Wah: I think just a touch less wah would fit in more. Just a notch down on the wah dial. But even as is, it sounds really really nice. :) This is just on the solo (time: 2:17 - 2:45). The wah in the rest of the song sounds really cool just the way it is. :) I wouldn't recommend changing the wah on anything else.

The kind of song that I will wanna listen to again. :)

Great touches on different notes in the background behind the acoustic. :)

Great tuff, Sage. I"m not a guitar player so I got no idvice to give, but I loved everything from the sound of the acoustic, your vocals, and the wah is just right to me, nice and sweet. Don't be so modest about your playing, it's great.

Thanks Bigbubba and RAMI. Really appreciate the compliments.

Sometimes I think that it won't be too bad if I get fired at work so I can stay home and record all day. :)

Back