Time Signature Frenzy

Most impressive! Sounds like you had the rare band that had talent at every position. Blazing guitar sheesh-nice sweep picking action. Cool change of gears around 3:20. I can't even imagine coming up with something like this much less getting a whole band to learn it. The recording was pretty good too-my only complaint was the bass-it was a little high-endy-but no biggie-Thanks for the tune-

Strat

Whoa, it would take me a fair amount of listens to analyze the time changes. I know you're in 4/4 a lot of the time :) Odd time signatures, especially with anticipations are hard to figure out. I'ts funny, I have a tune called "Desperate Measures" that changes time a lot, although not like this.

BTW, I kind of like the trebbly bass- reminds me of Chris Squire.

Jon

Pretty damned cool. I'll have to listen again tomorrow when I'm not falling asleep but this is serious stuff.

Thanks for your time. This song was deinitely a doozy to record. The part where the guitar is starting to layer after every pass is in 17/8 but the mid section is what I never actually sat down to figure out. My favorite part to play is the samba ride pattern over the double bass drums. That's a weird beat to play. Fun though!
Thanks again,
RF

Incredible Musicianship

This is definantly a stand out track. Major talent in all areas, Im sure you know this. I might have missed this but which instrument did you play in the group? What bands were or are your influences?

forgot

I forgot to ask what type of gear you used to record this? Mics, board, recorder? etc....I would like to hear a little more kick in the mix, but it sounds pretty dang good.

Thanks Wireneck!
I'm the drummer on that song. It was recorded at Prairie Sun Studios in Cotati Ca. I can't remember off hand what all the gear was but I do remember a bunch of 57s on the toms, 81s for the overheads and I believe I had RE20s on the bass drums. All the rooms were big and live! the song was actually recorded live and in one pass accept for all the obvious guitar overdubs. the keys went direct as well as the bass. The media was 2" 24 track.
I have a lot of gripes about the mix also.... I totally agree about the bass drums! They should be pumpin! Though the bass cuts through, I think it needs some bottom punch!
Our big influence at the time was Racer-X. We were sooooo close to getting signed by Shrapnel Records. The music scene started to turn fast and the deal fell through.
Oh well.... it was fun making the CD.

Anymore?

Do you have anymore tracks that sound like Drastic Measures? Blazing guitars and Complicated time signatures did go out quickly but I still appreciate and enjoy this type of music. Alot of Swedish metal bands that I listen to were heavily influenced by this type of stuff so maybe thats why I still enjoy it. I think the day will come when people get off the whole "I tune my guitar strings down untill they fall off" tangent and learn to play their instruments again. Maybe? haha

Wireneck said:
I think the day will come when people get off the whole "I tune my guitar strings down untill they fall off" tangent and learn to play their instruments again. Maybe? haha

I tune my guitar strings down until they fall off..

do you think I could learn?

sam

4/4 with the odd measure here and there....

woulda sounded cooler if you tuned your guitars down a minor third as a minimum.

Retract my statement

Ok B. Sabbath I retract my statement. I just mean that im tired of everyone tuning down, using the same exact tone, and riding an open note the entire song (Korn, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Flaw). Wasn't trying to say you arent capable of playing because you use a certain tuning. My bad

Dude.. your stuff rocks... :D I love hearin' the ol' Neal licks again... :p I listened to a bunch of em and they all have nice recording quality and nice performances... good stuff.

WATYF

WATYF

Where are you hearing the Neil licks? I could swaer I got away from that! :)
Thanks for the comment about the music. I wish I could say I wrote Drastic Measures but I didn't. It was my old guitar player and Keyboard player. All the others were pretyy much my creation with the exception of Lemonade.
Okay the REST of the songs came from mine and Brett's noggin'.Brett, who is an excellent guitar player had lots of input and him and I....well we just gel whhen it comes to writig some off the wall stuff. The song Eyes on Me was written for someone who gave us some lyrics to music to. We kind of didn't want this to take place again so we made the song kind of scary. If you listen to the words you can see the contrast between the two.

Thanks again,
RF

F#$%ing Awsome

Great tune, 4/4 with nice odd signatures, definately groovin though. Definately need the double bass drivin the song. Strong feet but couldn't tell because it was cut out.

Sounds like the band had a 4 hour bondfest (goldeneye for N64) a half hour before you wrote this tune.

Its perfect. I will play guitar like that one day.

Back