Time to share again...

soundprizm

Hey everybody! It's been a while since I shared music hear... I'm calling all the critiques! hehe.. I always have a problem with the low end, and vocal levels... Check out "Closer"

CLOSER

Hey, this sounds pretty good. Reminds me of V.A.S.T. Difficult stuff to mix, I guess. You did a good job.

The addition of the steelstring is nice, it's just tiny bit too loud though. Perhaps compress it a little?

I'd choose a longer reverb on the vocals in the choruses I think, this one is a bit too 'roomy'.

Timing is somewhat shaky at times.

Nice job however, soundprizm

Hey Pedullist, thanks for the reply man... V.A.S.T.? Never heard of them. The steel string is too loud? Hmmm... I have to pay real close attention to hear it, maybe it's my monitors? I agree that the reverb needs to change on the vocals: I'm gonna redo that today. Could you tell me where the timing sounds shaky to you, that's no good, if so, I must re-track it. Thanks again for the reply! :D

Nice job. Going for a big produced sound, which I like! Some fine playing there, but there were a few timing issues (noticed one right out of the gate, about 15 seconds in or so)

I hear the sound you are going for. Normally I might say, too much verb, but I think it works well for what you are going for here. Kind of gives it a cool ambiance.

Some good changes in the song. Nicely done. It does sound a tad bottom-heavy but not too bad.

Nice job overall!

:D

I'm going to transcribe your lyrics : FIRST LISTEN
-------------------------------------------------------------

gnaoooww wheeay yeeah fuh my destiny

so ptley mayuh dee ah way ee chee

reachy closer

fah snu way

ehz zu flay whe tha we cu tay

away kin fee uh we ka tay

aaaa ayyyy ayyyy

sometimes, I 'cn see

for miles and mile

miles and mile across the ocean

uh gn dreams

dreaming ... oosen deeb

whas sen ways

tares zen bre en dez en gabe

-----------------------------
I'm at about 1:20 now
-----------------------------

The rythm guitar is 12db to loud. The bass is 9db to loud.

tube warmed crunch rythm guitar does not have to be LOUD to be powerful. The natural sonic characteristics of tube crunch guitar make it powerful at any volume, that's why they invented it.

How loud the guitar is a decision your listener makes when they turn up the volume on thier system.

Your vocals are buried, stepped on and worthless with this mix.

You deserve better, we deserve better, the song deserves better.

Any geek can smear reverb all over a vocal and slam crunch guitar on the lead vox ...

Don't cheat us on the vocal.

HEADROOM, you have none.

Meters, you aren't looking at them.

Reverb you are using to much.

Review others mixes and learn.

I wouldn't spend any time on you at all if you didn't have talent and promise.

drop all the instruments to levels that you think are absurdly quiet, take all the effects off the voice and start from there.

Every move you make from that point forward, justify it.

I can't go anywhere with this mix, because there is nowhere to go. You need a starting point for us to make suggestions from.

Welcome to the board.

Hey... Thanks for the replies guys!! I'm lovin' it...

boydrj - Thanks man... yeah, I'm goin' for that big produced sound, as you put it. I'm still not seeing the timing issues though!! Where are they exactly?!! :confused: As for the bottom end, I want it pronounced and too be felt, but I don't want it drowning everything out. I want the sound Taproot gets from their song "Poem". Thanks for the compliments man.

studioviols - This was the post I was waiting for!! You rock studio... Looks like I made up another language with this song huh? hehe... or I should say you did. :D I totally agree tho, the reverb/amount I'm using is making the vocals very muddy. The rhythms too loud huh? I never heard of the natural sonic characteristics thing you were talking about. Interesting... I'll be messing around with that. Headroom, I'm not sure how to create it with making the .wav a lower volume level. The reverb IS too much. The meters I don't pay attention to because the clip meters lie on software. I am gonna take all of this back, and re-mix the song. Thanks so much for the feedback, I'll be using it.

I'm gonna go to work on this sometime soon, I should have a new mix by tommorrow or the next day. Thanks again guys, you rock!

~Sound

I agree about the guitar being too loud. The bass didn't bother me.

Drums are a tad off time at 0:23 and 0:39 and really badly at 2:26 (as well as a few other places, but those are the most obvious).

Too many effects on the vox for sure. And it is buried in the mix.

Alright guys... Mix 2 is here! Personally, I think the vocals are way too loud. I tried all your techniques you mentioned Studioviols, and that tube guitar thing is right. :D About the drums being off time, personally, I think that's crazy. I listened to 2:26 over and over again, you must be mistaking the drums not following a specific beat pattern as off time. Too used to computer-generated drums? I dunno... can't hear it... Thanks again guys!! :)

~Sound

soundprizm said:
Alright guys... Mix 2 is here! Personally, I think the vocals are way too loud. I tried all your techniques you mentioned Studioviols, and that tube guitar thing is right. :D About the drums being off time, personally, I think that's crazy. I listened to 2:26 over and over again, you must be mistaking the drums not following a specific beat pattern as off time. Too used to computer-generated drums? I dunno... can't hear it... Thanks again guys!! :)

~Sound

This is a much better mix!

As far as the drums, I didn't say the sucked or anything...just slightly out-of-time at places. Didn't notice it as much tonight, so maybe I was just tired or something when I listened the first time. As far as 2:26, well, I see that it's not really our of time, but it really sounded that way last time I listened. Probably an illusion from the mix.

Vocals are just fine.

Back