Three Nine Inch Nails remixes I did.

I am not sure I follow what you have done exactly.

You have taken NIN song and kept the original music and lyrics and vocals, but just moved them around a bit and added some sounds of your own to it? :confused:

I would have to be able to listen to the actual NIN song, to compare. I did like the sounds I heard though. My favorite is the "Heart of it All"...not only did I like the music, but I loved the preacher in it. It fit right in. Is that in the original, or did you do it? I not only liked the rhythmatic flow of it all, but I loved the words he spoke. So refreshing to hear it said, without a coloring of man's assumption.

So I am not much help eh? :D

true-eurt said:
I am not sure I follow what you have done exactly.

You have taken NIN song and kept the original music and lyrics and vocals, but just moved them around a bit and added some sounds of your own to it? :confused:

I would have to be able to listen to the actual NIN song, to compare. I did like the sounds I heard though. My favorite is the "Heart of it All"...not only did I like the music, but I loved the preacher in it. It fit right in. Is that in the original, or did you do it? I not only liked the rhythmatic flow of it all, but I loved the words he spoke. So refreshing to hear it said, without a coloring of man's assumption.

So I am not much help eh? :D

Ok here's what I did with the 3 tracks...

1. Perfect Drug basically contains no outside elements that did not originally exist somewhere in the track. A lot of it has effects added, sections were dissected and reassembled, sometimes lengthened or shortened. I took a few existing elements and inserted them into other areas of the track where they did not exist before, etc... More or less a typical internal type remix using no new or foreign sections.

2. A Warm Place originally was a piece that featured no drums or rhythm. So what I did to that track was to take drum samples from the same CD (The Downward Spiral), and synced them up to fit with the composition. The instrumentation excluding the drums was left untouched, and 100% of the remix work was done to the drums you hear.

3. At the Heart of it All was originally what you hear now...minus the portions of the preacher. It's something that came to me one early morning...I was remembering that track and how moving it was by itself, and I thought it would be a great idea to try and add portions of a preacher talking on top of it. There are only 3 large portions of the preacher talking that were added, he pauses at times but it's still a continuous piece. Amazingly enough (as you may have read in that thread) no efforts were even made to sync things up. I actually planned to, but as soon as I did a rough draft where I just copy/pasted the speaking parts over, I realized it matched up extremely well on its own, so I left it alone and had a final product in 20 minutes time. That track is probably the coolest thing I've ever done musically, and I plan to do some more as soon as I get my hands on some more CD's of sermons and such.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope that explains the before/after a bit better. If you haven't heard the originals, I'd definitely recommend getting them one way or another. :)

NIN - The Downward Spiral (Halo 8, 1994) has "A Warm Place"
"The Perfect Drug" can be found on "Lost Highway OST" which is a 5-star soundtrack IMO. It is also on an EP by NIN called "The Perfect Drug Versions" (Halo 11, 1997)
"At the Heart of it All" is found on "Further Down the Spiral" (Halo 10, 1995), a remix album of songs on "The Downward Spiral"

i don't wanna start the same shit over and over again but ... if you are trent, why don't you work with the master tapes? you know? that's the kind of shit i wanna hear.

I was going to go to a NiN concert this weekend in Saratoga because I read an interview that said Trent got off drugs and got himself together. Then this morning, I followed your links and read one with 'you'(musicman) saying that you came up with one of your ideas for the remix when you got high last week. Now that particular post is gone but either way, whether you're Trent or not it looks like you're a phony. Looks like Dave Matthews instead now :eek: :D

I have no idea what you're talking about but no, I am not Trent. It seems I have to explain this once a month.

So now that I've gotten the monthly explanation over with, does anyone have any feedback?

Here is my take on it....I think you did a nice job on the tearing apart and putting back togather. I understand this is something to practice with. Why not take a piece of your own though, or one that is not yet an established work of art to work with? I mean, it seems a bit ....I don't know how to put it. Like if someone took the Mona Lisa, and rearranged it how they wanted it to be. You are in a way, making a statement you can do it better. I am not much on covers anyway. I do like some, but definately prefer to listen to someones original work. I am fascinated by it. I do love the way you inserted the preacher....but, NIN would have a fit perhaps!! :eek: Are you a musician, or do you only engineer? If you only engineer, then may I suggest that you find some of us here, whom may be willing to let you work with one of our songs? One that is not established as finished yet? :D :D :D

Sorry if I have angered you. I am not good at wording some things. My remarks are taken the wrong way sometimes....most of the time.

If you are a musician, I would love to hear your own creation and what you can do with it, using your engineering skills, which seem to be very good. :) :) :) :) :)

true-eurt said:
Here is my take on it....I think you did a nice job on the tearing apart and putting back togather. I understand this is something to practice with. Why not take a piece of your own though, or one that is not yet an established work of art to work with? I mean, it seems a bit ....I don't know how to put it. Like if someone took the Mona Lisa, and rearranged it how they wanted it to be. You are in a way, making a statement you can do it better. I am not much on covers anyway. I do like some, but definately prefer to listen to someones original work. I am fascinated by it. I do love the way you inserted the preacher....but, NIN would have a fit perhaps!! :eek: Are you a musician, or do you only engineer? If you only engineer, then may I suggest that you find some of us here, whom may be willing to let you work with one of our songs? One that is not established as finished yet? :D :D :D

Sorry if I have angered you. I am not good at wording some things. My remarks are taken the wrong way sometimes....most of the time.

If you are a musician, I would love to hear your own creation and what you can do with it, using your engineering skills, which seem to be very good. :) :) :) :) :)

Rawr! I am angry! LOL j/k. I understand your views completely. :) I happen to be more fond of covers than you, but it doesn't mean we have to be mortal enemies. :D

I am a musician and have posted a few works over at that other site. I tried to pick some songs that weren't widely popular and two of them are pretty minimalistic in nature so I thought they'd be good building blocks to start a new hobby. I've only recently started engineering other peoples' works for fun and it got good responses so I thought I'd share here and see if there was something I could improve as far as mixing.

You bring up a couple good points, I should start offering to engineer some of the tracks people post here, it would definitely give me more to experiment with. And I also will work on recording more of my own pieces and remixing some that I've already done. I wish I had the creativity I used to, I'd be writing a lot more original songs, but until my seemingly permanent writer's block clears up covers are all I've got.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Trent Reznor said:
Rawr! I am angry! LOL j/k. I understand your views completely. :) I happen to be more fond of covers than you, but it doesn't mean we have to be mortal enemies. :D

I am a musician and have posted a few works over at that other site. I tried to pick some songs that weren't widely popular and two of them are pretty minimalistic in nature so I thought they'd be good building blocks to start a new hobby. I've only recently started engineering other peoples' works for fun and it got good responses so I thought I'd share here and see if there was something I could improve as far as mixing.

You bring up a couple good points, I should start offering to engineer some of the tracks people post here, it would definitely give me more to experiment with. And I also will work on recording more of my own pieces and remixing some that I've already done. I wish I had the creativity I used to, I'd be writing a lot more original songs, but until my seemingly permanent writer's block clears up covers are all I've got.

Thanks for the feedback. :)
You are very welkom Trent!! I joined up at the KMA....I won't be there much though, just like the other place's other place!!! :D ...this is my nesting place! :D

I hope you get your music mojo back!!

A special word or heartfelt phrase, presented in a special way, can rock the silence of the heart, stir the boredom of the bwain, lift you up and over the wall and take you through the writers maze.... :D ;)

True :)

true-eurt said:
You are very welkom Trent!! I joined up at the KMA....I won't be there much though, just like the other place's other place!!! :D ...this is my nesting place! :D

I hope you get your music mojo back!!

Thanks for joining KMA, it's great to see you there as well as here. I won't try and rip you away from HR. :D

true-eurt said:
A special word or heartfelt phrase, presented in a special way, can rock the silence of the heart, stir the boredom of the bwain, lift you up and over the wall and take you through the writers maze.... :D ;)

True :)

Great stuff there! I tried to google it to see who wrote it and it appears you have! I appreciate the inspirational words, I just may use it to get my mojo back. :)

Trent Reznor said:
Thanks for joining KMA, it's great to see you there as well as here. I won't try and rip you away from HR. :D

Great stuff there! I tried to google it to see who wrote it and it appears you have! I appreciate the inspirational words, I just may use it to get my mojo back. :)
LOL!! yeah, those are my words... :D Thanks, I really hope you get it back!! :D

Back