thoughts on songs

Rainhard

hey, I posted on here a little while ago about my songs i recorded. I know that the recordings are really raw, but thats because i have limited equipment. I'm just really interested in any input about the songs i have written and recorded .

I'm planning on releasing an EP sometime in the future, but not recorded at home. these songs on my Myspace are just my own recordings.

any comments/criticism are welcome and encouraged. let me know what you all think. www.myspace.com/rainhard

jordan.

I agree that the drums are probably the weakest element here - they lag a bit and suck energy out of the songs, and sometimes lapse into a 2/4 sort of polka beat. Not bad - just not as good as they could be.

The songs themselves are catchy and radio-friendly, and blend some interesting elements. For my taste, I'd work on making the changes a little less generic/predictable, and varying the sonic texture more. Maybe throw a quiet passage in the bridges to add variety, or some acoustic instrumentation. The guitar playing sounds really good, although there are some tuning issues on How Did This.

I'm listening on headphones so I won't comment on the details of the mix. Maybe the vocals could use a bit more presence - some crisper high end and less low-middle.

well thanks for the replys and criticisms. Yeah I do agree with the drums being the weakest part of my tracks. I can't seem to get solid drums at all. But that probably has to do with the fact that i'm using sm57's to record the Kick drum?

well thanks for the replys and criticisms. Yeah I do agree with the drums being the weakest part of my tracks. I can't seem to get solid drums at all. But that probably has to do with the fact that i'm using sm57's to record the Kick drum?

Could be...maybe try an LDC on the kick if you've nothing else. But pop filter it.

Last edited:
Could be...maybe try an LDC on the kick if you've nothing else. But pop filer it.

... because if you don't, you'll blow the diaphram...

The only nit I could find is the drums too. That and the low-fi from the site.

Maybe you should trigger a bass drum sample instead. Actually no - the playing isn't great either.
The guitars are a little fizzy but myspace players do evil things to music.
The song seems pretty good and needs some treatment.

Back