Thought On Song Mix- Tiny Tin Can Demo Song

AaronChapman

Tried something different with this mix. Tried to isolate the guitar in audition and give it some garage fuzz. I then had the fun idea of using a wine bottle to create some harrowing tinny guitar sweeps for some ambient noise and background riffs. I like the dark western feel this achieves; however I'm not sure if I've overdone it on some parts. Also, not sure how I feel about the vocals. I like the simplicity but am wondering if I should add some more energy into the vocals? Looking for any input. Thanks

Tiny Tin Can (From Demo Album "Bartender My Glass Is Half Empty") by Aaron Chap | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Lyrics:
City boy with a tiny tin can,
If they only knew you once had a plan.

Little girl with your floral dress,
If they only knew the scars of your past.

English man speaking so damn fine,
If they only knew what was on your mind.

Bitter man sitting all alone,
If they only knew you can't return home.

I thought it sounded pretty cool. Keep up the good work. You could maybe mix the vocals a little more forward so you can hear them better. The lyrics looked cool but I didn't hear what you were saying when I was listening.

Thanks, mate. I definitely need to add some clarity to the vocals then because you're the second person to mention that. I'll spend some time fixing the vocals and then update this thread to see what you all think.

There's too much energy down low between the vocal and the guitar/drone. I'd take some out of both, but probably a good notch out of the vocal.

What do mean exactly by too much energy? Too much chaos or too many sounds competing with each other on the lower frequencies? I'll try to clean the vocals. I'll try to reduce the low end to see if that helps .

What do mean exactly by too much energy? Too much chaos or too many sounds competing with each other on the lower frequencies? I'll try to clean the vocals. I'll try to reduce the low end to see if that helps .
yes, just too much content crowded into the same or maybe overlapping frequency bands. Reducing the vocal LF is needed. Try that and see if it cleans it up enough.

Really cool sounding. Agree with others. roll off the lows on the vox and maybe add a clarity around 5-6K. I "almost" think there is too much air and not enough presence in the instruments...but that is merely a personal mixing decision. Good job

Bit of low-end rumble in there, I believe. But the tone of the guitar and vocals sounds pretty good... I think.

Back