"The Third Engine's A Charm" REVIEW

Gidge

Lapdance Test Dummy
Even with a lot of my favorite CD's/Tapes/Albums, theres almost always that odd track or two or three that I always skip over....obvious filler.....

This CD by Chris Harris and Friends has none of these.....Ive listened 3 times straight through so far (funny how that number 3 pops up;) ) and i have no inclination to skip any of these tracks.....Even having heard all of the songs before, hearing them all at once as a collection is a powerful experience....The songwriting is just plain great as are the vocals, which tend to remind me of Jon Bon Jovi (with a twang).....

This may not be a sonic masterpiece, but its not shabby either (its quite good, and definitely doesnt suck) :p After hanging out at HR.COM for 3+ years, im thoroughly convinced that some of the best talent is, sadly, unsigned.....its been a few years since i purchased a commercially released CD (and no Im not a Napster/Kazaa freak)......none of the CD's on any of my changers right now are major label stuff.....keep it up guys....

Chris, thanks dude for sharing this.....

Michael "GIDGE" Guidry

I'm bootlegging copies out of the trunk.....take the Denham Springs exit off of I-12 and you'll see the billboard.....

HOLY SHIT!!

(chris) <------------------------- passed out on the floor.

WOW. Man, Mike...that was pretty cool of you. I mean, I'm kinda' speechless...which is NOT normal for me.

Pete - Like I've said before, anybody here who wants one is welcome to it. Just PM me your mailing address.

Thanks Gidge...now never post another non-music thread again!

:D

I just got my copy today and I've been through it twice--I wonder what happens the third time?:D

To begin, Chris has put together not only a great CD but the packaging is pretty amazing too--a full booklet with lyrics, photos and comments, not to mention a cover and a nice CD label with graphics and song listings. Hey--part of my avatar is in there too! This package is really an added bonus--very well done. So I'm wondering--how does this man find the time to write an albums worth of great stuff in 7 months, record it all, do the artwork, hang out on the board here, work a full time day job and see his familiy? Chris, you must never sleep.

Alright, on to the songs. Chris says some of 'em are made up, but they all sound like they are written from experience. In fact, thats what I love so much about these tunes--they sound "real" and full of true human experience. Part of its the voice too--it sounds honest and convincing. Very enjoyable to listen to for me. Great phrasing to boot.

The centerpieces of the album are "Old Yeller" and "Every Chance I Get", both with a father as the subject matter. Yes, Old Yeller is about a car too, but its more about the man who owned the the old bucket. Wisely, the writer gets deep into the song before he reserves his sentiments about his dad. He almost casually mentions that the car has wasted away "since he passed" as he discusses how nothing lasts. By not saying much at all, the last verse is as powerful as anything I've ever heard. Like a ton of emotional bricks. Chris lets us fill in the missing pieces.

"Every Chance I Get" tackles the emotions associated with death head on. Its no simple 'I miss you dad' song either. It deals with anger, rage, regret and ultimately love. Its deep. You know when you hear it, this isn't some made up story--this is the writer baring his soul. Again, the ring of truth is all over this one.

All the songs are great listens. "Supposed to Do" is one of those songs I'd love to hear somebody like the late Otis Redding do a cover of, because its got so much soul. 'December" is great in its own right. I just heard "Right Now" for the first time today. Its got that simple but infectious groove reminiscent of the Poco, Neil Young and CS&N days. Speaking of CSNY, "Crossing the Bar" sounds like it should have been on the first CS&N album. "Christmas Wednesday" just may give us the final frame of who this Chris Harris might be in person!

There are some minor technical imperfections, here and there. However, the songs and performances are so good, who's got time to nitpick?! Personally, I can't wait for the next release. And I know that since Chris has new gear and keeps reading the hot tips on HR, he's just gonna get better and better.

.....Got mine yesterday. (prompt delivery to boot:) :cool: )

I havent had the chance to go through the CD yet, but I'll echo what was said about the packaging. COOL! Class stuff Chris!
By this time tommorrow, I should have this sucker worn out.

Thanks bro, ...very very cool!

g w/ a proud 5

Crawdad wrote what I was thinking....and I didn't even pay him. To paraphrase....Dude this CD is awsome! Seriously, his response should be a printed review of your CD in your local newspaper.

Very few CD's impact me like this one did. It's sooo real, and so easy to identify with. And it's sooo contrary to what I hear on the radio anymore that I really think it belongs there, on my radio dial standing tall next to all the crap that keeps getting there instead. It reminds me of all those classic CD's (no I'm not gonna name them cause yours is truly a unique experience) in the past that I spun over and over and over and never got sick of. I think this will be the same.

Your songwriting really is excellent...at times genius in fact. I think the last verse Old Yeller is the pinnacle of the songwriting that I've heard from you so far. and christmas wednesday is the funniest song i've heard this year. and bottle of wine sounds like something that billy joel might have written. and every chance i get is still my favorite. and you should make a whole song based on that first ditty. and your daughter should sign up for american idol now (or maybe not on second thought, she sounds like she has real talent).

so in closing i really look forward to hearing more from you and i do want to know how to buy copies. please don't respond, "go to your local computer store and get a cd writer and some blank disks".

But...I...What I mean is... Umm...

Stammering...that's all I can do here.

Now I think I understand why record companies ship FREE copies of albums to radio stations... It just sounds better when it's FREE! ... LOL. Seriously guys... you all SHOULD like it, because you all made it.

Pete - I'm sending out another batch on Monday, and yours is in it.

Crawdad - Thanks again. I had the same idea as erichenryus about using your words as a review. Did you get my check? roflmao. :D

erichenryus - Friend, you didn't have to do that. Since you asked, There's a "micro-tiny-not-even-big-enough-to-be-indie-yet" Indie label here in Texas that's shown some interest in re-recording and distributing it (after it's fixed), but I'm pretty sure their distribution capacity ends at the Texas borders. When and if that happens, you can bet your ass I'll let you know where/how you can buy it. Ah, the prospect of purchasing an "Eric Henry" product warms my heart too.
Honestly, Gidge, while I sincerely appreciate it, this thread is difficult for me; everybody who's been here for any length of time has already heard all of the album, and this BBS is crawling at a snail's pace these days, and I'm not really planning on changing anything on there myself...so this serves no real useful purpose (except, to embarrass me, which can be an end unto itself, I suppose).

BUT I DON'T CARE!!! KEEP 'EM COMIN'!!!! TELL ME I'M GREAT!!! TELL ME THE WHITE ALBUM PALES IN COMPARISON!!! THAT'S THE ONLY WAY I'M GONNA' GET MY WIFE TO LET ME DO ANOTHER ONE!!!!

(seriously...let it go. Anybody who wants a free one can PM me with their addy, and I can promise you, it'll be worth every cent... Anybody need a new coaster??)

-The Humbled One

Chris, you crack me up! Oh, and take my review and tell everybody in Texas it was from some music critic in New York. Yes, lie! Believe me, nobody will know! I mean, we all need a little hype now and then. Isn't that how the majors play the game?

i forgot to comment about the packaging. very nice. and i just realized the page with the old yeller and every chance i get has a picture of your father, right? nice touch.

Ya' know.....I used to think the White Album was at the pinnacle of the music writing art, and Dark Side of the Moon seemed like a good work. How misguided I was. Chris Harris' new Cd is.....oh wait. I haven't heard it yet. But am I getting the tone right Chris?
I want to be another critic in the cover blurbs and I'm auditioning.
I know we've heard all this stuff....but we've heard it in MP3 form and I'm sure this is going to be so much better. looking forward to it. :)

sweet home....texas?

Hey Lt. Bob,
I'm sitting down right now to work on Sweet Home Chicago. Just wanted you to know that and I'm too lazy to PM you so I'm hijacking this thread to tell you that.

Lt. Bob said:
I know we've heard all this stuff....but we've heard it in MP3 form and I'm sure this is going to be so much better
Nope...I think the MP3's actually sound better. It adds some otherwise missing highs or something. :D I have no idea what I'm doing. :confused:

Anyway Lt. Bob, a batch is going out Monday, and yours is in it...everybody in the U.S. (lower 48) who asked for one should get it Wednesday. As for you Utah residents, can you tell me what part of Texas Utah is in? I'm having trouble locating it. :D

Well now I want one too ! Check your pm's chris.

I keep playing "Old Yeller" over and over .... it's a very "durable" song. Just like to check all those lyrics to I can sing along with the right words ;)

dres said:
Well now I want one too ! Check your pm's chris.

I keep playing "Old Yeller" over and over .... it's a very "durable" song. Just like to check all those lyrics to I can sing along with the right words ;)
Hey dres...I PM'd you back, but your mailbox is full. I'm sending some to Australia on Wednesday, so include your address in the PM and it's yours.

BTW - Ever heard of Kasey Chambers? I know she's from your part of the world, and I don't think she's "famous" here in the states, but she's a great talent. Anyway, I think some of the other tunes are more in that vein.
___________________ (edit)________________________

In the meantime, here are some words to help you out.

"Old Yeller"
©2002 chris harris

Standin’ – abandoned in my driveway,
Up on blocks, a sore to the eye,
Always reminds me of the highways,
I rode when I was a kid and Dad would drive

We used to call Dad’s car “Old Yeller’”,
With Golden velour and a cracked windshield,
And every time we begged him to sell her,
He’d just gap the plugs, change the oil,
And she’d be healed.

Chorus
We called her ‘Old Yeller,’
Mom begged him to sell her
But he never did tell her he would,
Because the 3rd engine's a charm,
And the paint’s still good,
He kept a cigarette lit between the fingertips,
Of his one hand on the wheel,
Not many would try to do 105,
In a gold oldsmobile,
She could run….run…but we just made fun.

Cruise control and power windows,
Neither one worked after ’86,
But they were just luxuries I suppose,
Just about everything else, Dad could fix.

CHORUS (repeat)

Now we live in an age where nothing lasts,
And God forbid you be ‘out of style.’
She’s just been wasting away…since he passed,
But I keep thinking she’s good for a few more miles…

We’d go, out past the turnoff, to Highway 31,
With my little brother in the back seat, and me shotgun
At 110 I’d see a hint of a grin on his leathered, weathered face,
We left those red and blues in the rearviews
Like they were standing in place.

-Chris

"Third Engine's a Charm",

cd-package, outline, cover, etc, :)

cd-tunz, :)

chris harris, :)

friends, :)

A well done project that must have been a blast to do. Thanks to Chris for sending me the cd.

dtb

Gidget, the flying nun, has a point :D (gotta feeling he HATES being called "Gidget" :D)

Chris, this is a cool-ass disk. Actually, before receiving this, I'd taken your tracks (most of 'em from the mp3s) plus that one you did with Mr. CrawFather, and threw 'em on a disc for my hick relatives :)

Sad to say, the sound quality probably wasn't too great... and for some reason, the whole disc's mood came off as "morbid" or "sad" or even "melancholy"... lotta sad songs...

But for some reason, the job you've done on this disc manages to balance everything in such a way that it doesn't sound like you're on downers :D And I was actually most impressed by the sound quality of the disc (sure, it could use some mastering... and a few tracks had some hiss on them...) but they were very balanced sounding in both EQ and arrangement.

Guess I'd have to echo those comments about "Old Yeller" everyone's giving... but I don't think I had this version of "Our Song"... just the CrawPoppy one... (which was great, too)... this thing kicks ass... as a person who's always openly hated lap-steel and the associated IQ drop experienced by listening to such music, I'd have to say those L.S's sounded amazing.

"Bottle of Wine" was a great way to start out (after the little joke--er---"serious" intro track) because of the lightness of the mood. On a disc filled with songs of reflection and even some implied regrets, you've managed to keep the mood upbeat somehow... very nice project. Inspiring, tho I don't think I'll ever record enough songs to do a similar thing.

The packaging was very nice; impressive silk screening on the disc itself.

A self-proclaimed Country Music Disliker, I've listened to the disc three times thru now, and will listen some more for sure. It's the kind of thing that expands musical horizons & such. Plus, my IQ didn't drop as much as expected from continued exposure :D

(one more note... VERY impressed with how you handled the new uptempo drum section in "Old Yeller"... it seems that walky, bouncy bassline underneath it was all it needed... was that G's contribution?)

The place here has missed your presence for the past 4 days or so; thanks for paying so much attention to the music of all of us, and spending so much of your free time away from your family to be here :) Gotta feeling some of those songs 'bout divorce/separation on your disc might come true if you stay much longer :o

Chris Harris keeps it real ;) Thanx for the disc.

Chad

Back