Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "The Third Engine's A Charm" REVIEW

Thanks

Cool "The Third Engine's A Charm" REVIEW

Sign in to disable this ad
    Even with a lot of my favorite CD's/Tapes/Albums, theres almost always that odd track or two or three that I always skip over....obvious filler.....

This CD by Chris Harris and Friends has none of these.....Ive listened 3 times straight through so far (funny how that number 3 pops up ) and i have no inclination to skip any of these tracks.....Even having heard all of the songs before, hearing them all at once as a collection is a powerful experience....The songwriting is just plain great as are the vocals, which tend to remind me of Jon Bon Jovi (with a twang).....

This may not be a sonic masterpiece, but its not shabby either (its quite good, and definitely doesnt suck) After hanging out at HR.COM for 3+ years, im thoroughly convinced that some of the best talent is, sadly, unsigned.....its been a few years since i purchased a commercially released CD (and no Im not a Napster/Kazaa freak)......none of the CD's on any of my changers right now are major label stuff.....keep it up guys....

Chris, thanks dude for sharing this.....

Michael "GIDGE" Guidry

Thanks

Smile

So,where can I buy one?
    Pete

Thanks

Cool

I'm bootlegging copies out of the trunk.....take the Denham Springs exit off of I-12 and you'll see the billboard.....

Thanks

HOLY SHIT!!

(chris) <------------------------- passed out on the floor.

WOW. Man, Mike...that was pretty cool of you. I mean, I'm kinda' speechless...which is NOT normal for me.

Pete - Like I've said before, anybody here who wants one is welcome to it. Just PM me your mailing address.

Thanks Gidge...now never post another non-music thread again!

Thanks

Smile

I missed your offer Chris,I PM'd you,thanks!
    Pete
    Pete

Thanks
    I just got my copy today and I've been through it twice--I wonder what happens the third time?

To begin, Chris has put together not only a great CD but the packaging is pretty amazing too--a full booklet with lyrics, photos and comments, not to mention a cover and a nice CD label with graphics and song listings. Hey--part of my avatar is in there too! This package is really an added bonus--very well done. So I'm wondering--how does this man find the time to write an albums worth of great stuff in 7 months, record it all, do the artwork, hang out on the board here, work a full time day job and see his familiy? Chris, you must never sleep.

Alright, on to the songs. Chris says some of 'em are made up, but they all sound like they are written from experience. In fact, thats what I love so much about these tunes--they sound "real" and full of true human experience. Part of its the voice too--it sounds honest and convincing. Very enjoyable to listen to for me. Great phrasing to boot.

The centerpieces of the album are "Old Yeller" and "Every Chance I Get", both with a father as the subject matter. Yes, Old Yeller is about a car too, but its more about the man who owned the the old bucket. Wisely, the writer gets deep into the song before he reserves his sentiments about his dad. He almost casually mentions that the car has wasted away "since he passed" as he discusses how nothing lasts. By not saying much at all, the last verse is as powerful as anything I've ever heard. Like a ton of emotional bricks. Chris lets us fill in the missing pieces.

"Every Chance I Get" tackles the emotions associated with death head on. Its no simple 'I miss you dad' song either. It deals with anger, rage, regret and ultimately love. Its deep. You know when you hear it, this isn't some made up story--this is the writer baring his soul. Again, the ring of truth is all over this one.

All the songs are great listens. "Supposed to Do" is one of those songs I'd love to hear somebody like the late Otis Redding do a cover of, because its got so much soul. 'December" is great in its own right. I just heard "Right Now" for the first time today. Its got that simple but infectious groove reminiscent of the Poco, Neil Young and CS&N days. Speaking of CSNY, "Crossing the Bar" sounds like it should have been on the first CS&N album. "Christmas Wednesday" just may give us the final frame of who this Chris Harris might be in person!

There are some minor technical imperfections, here and there. However, the songs and performances are so good, who's got time to nitpick?! Personally, I can't wait for the next release. And I know that since Chris has new gear and keeps reading the hot tips on HR, he's just gonna get better and better.

In a world full of chimpanzees I was a monkey
    Thanks
    .....Got mine yesterday. (prompt delivery to boot )

I havent had the chance to go through the CD yet, but I'll echo what was said about the packaging. COOL! Class stuff Chris!
    By this time tommorrow, I should have this sucker worn out.

Thanks bro, ...very very cool!

g w/ a proud 5

Thanks
    Crawdad wrote what I was thinking....and I didn't even pay him. To paraphrase....Dude this CD is awsome! Seriously, his response should be a printed review of your CD in your local newspaper.

Very few CD's impact me like this one did. It's sooo real, and so easy to identify with. And it's sooo contrary to what I hear on the radio anymore that I really think it belongs there, on my radio dial standing tall next to all the crap that keeps getting there instead. It reminds me of all those classic CD's (no I'm not gonna name them cause yours is truly a unique experience) in the past that I spun over and over and over and never got sick of. I think this will be the same.

Your songwriting really is excellent...at times genius in fact. I think the last verse Old Yeller is the pinnacle of the songwriting that I've heard from you so far. and christmas wednesday is the funniest song i've heard this year. and bottle of wine sounds like something that billy joel might have written. and every chance i get is still my favorite. and you should make a whole song based on that first ditty. and your daughter should sign up for american idol now (or maybe not on second thought, she sounds like she has real talent).

so in closing i really look forward to hearing more from you and i do want to know how to buy copies. please don't respond, "go to your local computer store and get a cd writer and some blank disks".

Thanks

But...I...What I mean is... Umm...

Stammering...that's all I can do here.

Now I think I understand why record companies ship FREE copies of albums to radio stations... It just sounds better when it's FREE! ... LOL. Seriously guys... you all SHOULD like it, because you all made it.

Pete - I'm sending out another batch on Monday, and yours is in it.

Crawdad - Thanks again. I had the same idea as erichenryus about using your words as a review. Did you get my check? roflmao.

erichenryus - Friend, you didn't have to do that. Since you asked, There's a "micro-tiny-not-even-big-enough-to-be-indie-yet" Indie label here in Texas that's shown some interest in re-recording and distributing it (after it's fixed), but I'm pretty sure their distribution capacity ends at the Texas borders. When and if that happens, you can bet your ass I'll let you know where/how you can buy it. Ah, the prospect of purchasing an "Eric Henry" product warms my heart too.
    Honestly, Gidge, while I sincerely appreciate it, this thread is difficult for me; everybody who's been here for any length of time has already heard all of the album, and this BBS is crawling at a snail's pace these days, and I'm not really planning on changing anything on there myself...so this serves no real useful purpose (except, to embarrass me, which can be an end unto itself, I suppose).

BUT I DON'T CARE!!! KEEP 'EM COMIN'!!!! TELL ME I'M GREAT!!! TELL ME THE WHITE ALBUM PALES IN COMPARISON!!! THAT'S THE ONLY WAY I'M GONNA' GET MY WIFE TO LET ME DO ANOTHER ONE!!!!

(seriously...let it go. Anybody who wants a free one can PM me with their addy, and I can promise you, it'll be worth every cent... Anybody need a new coaster??)

-The Humbled One

Thanks
    Chris, you crack me up! Oh, and take my review and tell everybody in Texas it was from some music critic in New York. Yes, lie! Believe me, nobody will know! I mean, we all need a little hype now and then. Isn't that how the majors play the game?

Thread Information