These Dreams

Rick Shepherd

I recorded this song yesterday, using separate tracks for guitar and vocals. Guitar was played using the 914 with a ORTF pair of Gefell M300's. Vocals were sung with the Peluso 22 47, both through the Avalon AD2022 preamp, then into the computer using an E-MU 1212m soundcard. This is a song originally written and recorded by Jim Croce. I just love doing his songs and I hope you enjoy! These Dreams

Last edited:
Nice, Rick, very nice. I downloaded a bunck of Jim Groce the other day, but didn't get this song...When it started, I thought it was "Time in a Bottle".. Guitars sound great. Vocals are well recorded, but might be either a bit to loud or a bit too dry...or both...to my ears. Nice playing and singing.

I was going to change my post to say "slightly" instead of "a bit", because it's not that much. Maybe slightly push it back. As far as effects, I don't know the original and I don't know how close to the original you want to get. I think I recall that Jim usually has reverb on his voice. If that's the case maybe just turn them down slightly and wet them a bit.

Ok, I rerecorded the whole song, balanced the vocals to the guitar, moved the vocals back in the mix, and added just a tad more effects, seems to help alot, is that better? These Dreams Question: Am I even close to getting a good pro sound out of my equipment?

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. Reminds me of the style, in that era. Slightly more upront, and less compressed vocal style, as compared to some things today. I like the guitar sound. I like it.

Rick - nice job on this tune. Performance is great as always....

You're getting a very good tone on the guitar. The recording technique you're using with the mics is working really well. I think you have a pro sound going here.

Vocal are sitting well in the mix, again great tone. The pre and mic are super clean but at the same time give your vocals some subtle compression and color.

Effects are there but are subtle and tasty....

Works very well for me. :D :D :D :D

Whoa there dude. Cool guitar playing. :)

Nice voice. Sounds good. Don't have any critique. :)

Good song and good recording.

Rick Shepherd said:
I recorded this song yesterday, using separate tracks for guitar and vocals. Guitar was played using the 914 with a ORTF pair of Gefell M300's. Vocals were sung with the Peluso 22 47, both through the Avalon AD2022 preamp, then into the computer using an E-MU 1212m soundcard. This is a song originally written and recorded by Jim Croce. I just love doing his songs and I hope you enjoy! These Dreams

Hey Rick,

Your vocals have been delivered and captured beautifully. The guitar tone and playing is sweet, something was a little boomy, and I mean a little but I enjoyed my listen.

Nice work once again Rick! :)

Gorty

The guitar sounds excellent. Well mixed, not too loud or quiet.
The vox sound great too. Again, not too much of anything.

Personally, I'd want more "intimacy" in the vocals. Make them sound closer up.
But overall, if you were hoping for a pro sound, I think you achieved it. Sounds very good!

Remixed

Ok, I agree that there was a bit much boominess on the guitar. Vocals were also too far back in the mix. I tweaked the effects again and EQ. BTW, there is now no EQ at all on the guitar, amazing how well-balanced these mics and preamp are. I listened with a good pair of headphones, so I think it is just where I want it to be. I also think that it sounds much more up close and personal, thanks Jaykemurd! Thanks for all the great input! Here is the final mix: These Dreams

Last edited:
Listened to the final mix on headphones and I agree that it sounds great.

No eq on the guitar ? It sounds excellent considering (the playing helps this shine though ;) ).

And you're right about the quality of the mics/pre's.

Again well balanced between vocals and music....nicely done..... :D :D

I haven't heard this since the first mix. This is great, man. Sounds just right to me. Great performance, too, besides the recording. I think this sounds pro to me.

Back