Them Bones - Vocal and Rhythm Guitar Cover

jonlint

Hi all,

Decided to mess around with my Kemper and see how close I could get to the "Dirt" vocal and guitar sound. Today's handywork - vocal and rhythm guitar cover of "Them Bones" by Alice in Chains. That took quite some effort vocally! RIP Layne...

The mix is different from the original. In the original, it is very "midsy", less bottom end and the drums are less punchy. Then again, the original was mixed and mastered all analogue and had limitations compared to today's plugins. Interested in your opinions on the mix compared to the original as well.

Them Bones - Vocal + Rhy Git Cover by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

God job, sounds very similar!

Maybe the vocals are a bit harsh sometimes especially in the chorus (around 1 kHZ maybe?). I also think the guitar in the original is a bit wider in the mix and has a bit more reverb.

One of my favourite AIC tracks. So you just did the vocal and rhythm guits, the rest is the original? Nice job esp on the backing vox. No one is going to sound like Layne but you got your own thing. So...you have the original tracks, or what? I liked your mix too. I must admit to being bemused by some of the mixing decisions of several AIC tracks over the years

God job, sounds very similar!

Maybe the vocals are a bit harsh sometimes especially in the chorus (around 1 kHZ maybe?). I also think the guitar in the original is a bit wider in the mix and has a bit more reverb.

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback. After a car listen, I agree there is some harshness there in the vocals - some dynamic EQ or multiband compression together with some vocal riding seems in order. Also the vocals need to come down a bit I think. I find the original guitar tone a little too midsy and lacking bottom end, so I did not reproduce the exact tone - I went for more the current Jerry Cantrell tone. A touch of reverb on the rhythm guitar is also worth a try. Thanks again for the feedback!

One of my favourite AIC tracks. So you just did the vocal and rhythm guits, the rest is the original? Nice job esp on the backing vox. No one is going to sound like Layne but you got your own thing. So...you have the original tracks, or what? I liked your mix too. I must admit to being bemused by some of the mixing decisions of several AIC tracks over the years

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback - my absolute favourite band and a great track. You can rip the stems from Rockband - there are various sites where you can download these. It is just drums, vocals, bass and guitar (so 4 stems). What did you mean by being bemused by some of the mixing decisions of several AIC tracks over the years? For this track to me, the bottom end was missing a bit and the guitars were a bit midsy. I went with more the modern AIC guitar tone - more bottom end and chug.

Back