That's the Way ( or not )

Jay C

hi all. this is what i think to be my best mix so far. i use headphones for mixing so i'm not sure if i'm properly hearing the low end. ( i will get monitors very soon ). i would really love some advice on how to achieve a better mix. i use a mastering plugin to show off to my friends but i disabled it for this mix.

btw the song is called "that's the way"

thanks for all and any comments.

https://soundcloud.com/jay-cla-yfield/thats-the-way

Last edited:
still hoping for some feedback on this. i know the drums are very basic but i didn't want to spend too much time on them as my drummer is getting an ekit soon and we'll be redoing them anyway.

Why give you feedback on the mix if your plan is to swap out major bits for new bits you haven't done yet? You want 'advice on how to achieve a better mix'? Here's some advice: finish tracking before you start mixing.

Last edited:
Label it work inprogress. If you KNOW you'll have a drummer on this presently the mix is moot.

I think for a preliminary rough mix it's borderline okay. The guitars and cymbal crashes are searingly bright. It's a little ear painful. I like the bass tone. I can hear the bass line clearly without it being too loud.

I think for a preliminary rough mix it's borderline okay. The guitars and cymbal crashes are searingly bright. It's a little ear painful. I like the bass tone. I can hear the bass line clearly without it being too loud.

thank you Greg. i was listening today on my ipod and thought that the crashes were too bright also. i am ordering monitors today, should help me find those gross highs and tame them some.

thanks again man..

Back