testing testing 1 2........ separation?

IanW-UK

Hi all. I'm ill, have the flu. I'm off work and feelin all sorry for myself :( so I improvised a horrible tune :p Then I decided I may as well make use of it and experiment on stuff. Todays experiment was to try and eq 3 distorted guitars that were recorded with the same geetar in the same way so that they were nicely separated in the mix. And also to fiddle about with depth using reverb and eq. I'm not very experienced at such stuff and I always find it really hard to track/mix more than 1 distorted geetar. I think it came out reasonably ok but I don't really know what i'm doing. So if you were mixing this, short of rerecording the parts, how would you get em separated? What frequencies do you think clash etc? I'm not too fussed if its too bassy or trebbley overall n whatnot as I did it in me cans and it's not really important in this instance. (or is it?)

still learnin,

Ian..........

Hi Ian,

Good job - sounds really well done, clear and defined - particularly for the mix being done with headphones.

I think the first two guitars which are most prominent sound really good - distinct, clear and obviously inhabiting two different EQ ranges.

The third guitar maybe had a little too much reverb on it, while it does push it to the back, it did take something away from the harmomic attack of this track. Maybe try increasing the pre-delay on the reverb to make it more apparent.

Get better soon!

:) Q.

Thanks guys,

Querty, I didn't know predelay had that effect. I learned somethin already :D Thanks I'll try that.

Cheers,

Ian........

Ian -

The pre-delay I was referring to is a function on your reverb.

It specifies a number of milliseconds for you to hear the "un-reverbed" sound, prior to the reverb wave hitting you. This is meant to reproduce nature - you hear the sound source first then you hear the verb'ed bounce from whatever walls and surfaces are near you.

I think it sounds great....Very deep sounding. The layers are very clear sounding. yeah, i like it.
Jason

Thanks guys,

Querty, I've never really played about with predelay, but I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tip.

JasonBird, cheers mate.

CanopuS, The drums are a loop from www.drumdrops.com with a touch of verb and a high pass. I chopped em a bit too. The guitar is my 62 tele ri recorded direct through a meek mq3 on all 3 tracks with simulanalogue's jcm 900 emulation plug on em all. The eq on everything was Cambridge from a uad-1. Reverb is dreamverb. psp Vintage warmer on the output.

I guess did the separation thing ok on this one, but it's a fluke if I did. I suppose what I wanna know is how you work out the numbers. I read about peeps sayin "cut this at 248.713hz" but I have no idea how instruments interact frequency wize above about 350hz. I just tend to sweep the eq till it sounds ok. That doesn't really help in the tracking stage though. Do ya reckon that's just something that comes with listening and time, or can you learn it? I've read those "magic frequency" type charts but in real life they are often off the mark.

Cheers,

Ian.......

IanW-UK said:
I just tend to sweep the eq till it sounds ok. That doesn't really help in the tracking stage though. Do ya reckon that's just something that comes with listening and time, or can you learn it? I've read those "magic frequency" type charts but in real life they are often off the mark.

Cheers,

Ian.......

I think you hit the nail on the head - play with it - sweeping the EQ's will give you far better results than any magic number that someone will post.

I guess you're right but for tracking it would be handy to know what frequencies things were in so you could plan ahead. Ya know? It's all hit n hope with me :D

Cheers,

Ian.........

Well ya hopes seem to have it hit this time :)

I do not have the luxury of a nice room in which to record, so I normally track clean and then adjust afterwards. The only EQ I may add while tracking is a low-end filter to lose boom off the acoustic guitar etc.

I think that most of the big boys will try and use things like the right mic and preamp together with mike placement to capture the best sound possible, rather than making huge EQ changes during tracking.

Although I am normally wrong and expect to be shown so, shortly ;)

Back