Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Test...Test....New Monitors, new interface, new everything......

RAMI Guest

Test...Test....New Monitors, new interface, new everything......

Sign in to disable this ad
    I feel like I'm working in someone else's studio and I don't know what the hell is going on.

This is my first recording with my new monitors, which are really pumping out the low end compared to what I was using before. I'm also working with a new interface, which records at much different levels than the other one, which surprised me (TASCAM US-1800 records music lower than the US-800). besides that, I still consider my SG a new guitar, and my Fender Super Champ X2 a new amp. Put it all together, I'm getting used to a bunch of new things all at once.

So, I can't tell if the levels and balance on this are good or all over the place. There's no vocals on this yet because I also ordered a new mic which won't come until next week.

Is this close to sounding normal?

TEST

Thanks
    Sounds friggen great man! Glad you are up and running.

Low end sounds just about right to me in my room. Solo track is a bit distant but it's a rough right?

Love the change up in the middle!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

RAMI Guest
    Beautiful. Yeah, there is still a lot of mixing to go on this one, besides the vocals, etc....

Did you notice that the 1800 records lower than the 800? It's not a bad thing, just lower. I had to bring everything up quite a bit.

Also, I have no idea if I should have the switch n the back at -10 or +4. I put it at +4 (because that must be louder ) but I've never understood that switch.

Thanks
    There is just cleaner signal with the 1800 preamps and the range of gain is likely more than that with the 800.

The switches on the back are only relevant to whatever you are sending to inputs 11/12-13/14. Are you using external gear to these inputs? If so, then the output level of the devices/preamps being used there will determine what level to place them at.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    There is just cleaner signal with the 1800 preamps and the range of gain is likely more than that with the 800.
    But then I thought it the signal would be louder. I'm talking about having the trim knobs all the way down on both units, the 1800 records at lower levels. I'm not complaining, it's really no problem, just something I noticed.

The switches on the back are only relevant to whatever you are sending to inputs 11/12-13/14. Are you using external gear to these inputs? If so, then the output level of the devices/preamps being used there will determine what level to place them at.
    I see. I'm going into a "REALISTIC" home stereo receiver. Not sure what that means as far as the switch is concerned, but I'm not too worried about that. I've got so many other fish to fry at this point in time.

Thanks
    Yeah man, wider range meaning less gain as well as more.

Naw, the -10/+4 switch has only to do with those line inputs to the 1800. Nothing to do with output levels.

By the way, just so you know (because many have asked this): The 'Monitor Balanced' outputs are 'Line Outputs 1/2' but they are controlled just like the headphone output as far as the 'MIX' knob on the face of the 1800. In other words, if you change the level from 'Input' or 'Computer, the Monitor output will mirror that. If you do not want the 'Mix' knob to change what you hear in your monitors, (and only the headphone output) then connect them or your amp powering them to the 'Line Out 1/2'. Or 3/4 for a second pair if wanted.

Thanks
    And fried fish sounds good. I know what I am having for dinner now.

RAMI Guest
    Yeah man, wider range meaning less gain as well as more.
    Ah ok, great. Thanx

Naw, the -10/+4 switch has only to do with those line inputs to the 1800. Nothing to do with output levels.
    Perfect. One less thing to worry about.

By the way, just so you know (because many have asked this): The 'Monitor Balanced' outputs are 'Line Outputs 1/2' but they are controlled just like the headphone output as far as the 'MIX' knob on the face of the 1800. In other words, if you change the level from 'Input' or 'Computer, the Monitor output will mirror that. If you do not want the 'Mix' knob to change what you hear in your monitors, then connect them or your amp powering them to the 'Line Out 1/2'. Or 3/4 for a second pair if wanted.
    Awesome man, thanx. I'll play around with all that and see what I like. Right now I'm using the monitor outs. Didn't even notice there was a line out.

RAMI Guest
    And fried fish sounds good. I know what I am having for dinner now.
    Bought a big bag of salmon filets the other day. I can have that shit 4 times a day. Can't get enough fish.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    Bought a big bag of salmon filets the other day. I can have that shit 4 times a day. Can't get enough fish.
    I'm gonna fry up some catfish. Only because that what I have in the freeze. Maybe some shrimp and throw in a steak on the grill too. Holy hell I am hungry!

Thread Information