Tennessee Blues - Please Listen

Good tune.I caught this over on the Fostex board.I can tell you're a Mark Knopfler fan.:D Your voice sounds a lot like him on this tune.Nice clean recording.Did you do any mixing on the computer or was this done all within the MR 8?

Good job.

Please have a listen. I would appreciate any feedback on how I can improve.

I think paying extra attention to the vocal intonation would put the fine polish on an already good job.

Nice

Joe

Other than the room noise this sounds great. You do have a Knopler tone and style....I like that. I should have had you sing on my Brothers In Arms cover.

I didn't really hear this as a country tune. But whatever it is you did a beautiful job with it. Very nice! No suggestions, except to try and isolate whatever is causing that noise (computer fan?)

First of all the song is real effective. It really sets a mood and sustains it. It took me two listens to "get" the pulse of the 3/4 groove, but it started to feel a bit more natural after that. Light drums and some bass would help that aspect.

Lets see--a possible change in musical texture (a different instrument introduced) in the choruses would be a good thing, I think. Since the piano and the guitar play the same figures over and over, that aspect gets a little too predictable at times.

Bear in mind, these are just ideas, since you asked!:D I think the song itself is great and your voice sells it real well.

crawdad said:
It took me two listens to "get" the pulse of the 3/4 groove, but it started to feel a bit more natural after that.

oh..you 4/4 junkie!!! can't ya hear that "boom da da, boom da da" happening!!

nice vocals. the panned instruments where odd to me and I'd prefer stereo instruments instead. The guitar on the left sounds like a MIDI guitar and sequenced.

yes...nice vocals

mixmkr said:
oh..you 4/4 junkie!!! can't ya hear that "boom da da, boom da da" happening!!

Thats just it! I couldn't tell if it wanted to be 3/4 or 6/8 for a while! And just for your info, Mr. Mixmkr--I am writing a song in 3/4 as we speak! :D If you start throwing those 5/4 or 11/8 time signatures at me though, my mind does shut down pretty quick. Now those Fleetwood Mac fellas--there was some drumming I could understand--except for that "Go Your Own Way" song, which always fooled me at the beginning!

OK. back to the regularly scheduled thread. Sorry, KnopflerFan. What I was trying to say in the first post was this--the beat didn't seem established enough, which made me concentrate on that rather than completely on the song. On a song like this, it ought to be repetitive and actually kind of mindlessly hypnotic--established, laid in place and then out of the way. Just my opinion, though.

crawdad said:
Thats just it! I couldn't tell if it wanted to be 3/4 or 6/8 for a while! And just for your info, Mr. Mixmkr--I am writing a song in 3/4 as we speak! :D If you start throwing those 5/4 or 11/8 time signatures at me though, my mind does shut down pretty quick.

Don't get me started...

;)

GREAT recording to my ears....very enjoyable! Is there something here that you think needs improvement?

Excellent sound on the piano.

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. It's encouraging to know that I'm not wasting my time in this hobby.

To Alexpetty: I'm definitely a Straits fan. My nickname is dead giveaway. I really should have chosen another nickname in the beginning.

To Smokepole: Thanks for the feedback. I definitely need vocal training. I wish I could sing like Crawdad and SLuiCe!!

To Kramer: I didn't use any external mixer or software at all. It's all MR8 and the functions it offers, albeit not the greatest effects, but it's okay for my newbie ears for now.

To Crawdad: Ever since I've discovered this board, I've been an admirer of your music and your talent. "Too Beautiful For Me" is an awesome song!! You should really get it out there to a bigger audience. When's your next trip to Nashville? ;) Oh, by the way, you're right about the temp. There's something not right. I think at one point in time, it switched to 4/4 (for one bar!) I can't believe you caught that! I can't get anything pass you guys.:p

To SLuiCe: Someone on this board once asked: when are you going to tour?! I really dig your music. The strange noise you hear in the recording is probably the heater duct. I'm still experimenting with my condenser mic.

To mixmkr: I will definitely record in stereo once I upgrade the flashcard. Thanks for the feedback.

To MAC2: There's always room for improvement.:)

Thanks for the comments and your input.

KF

name or no name... ida' pulled you out of the crowd as a straits fan! :) dire straits is a damn good band. there influence is fairly unmistakable. :)

-alex

Sometimes, I hate to nitpick in these threads, especially when someone has a song as good as this one. I figured out what I wanted to say about 3/4 in general. Its the first beat that is the loudest or the most dominant to the feel. If thats there, it quickly reinforces the 3/4 feel. The instruments should help out with that.

Thanks for the nice comments on my song. In my mind, yours is equally good--if not better. In fact, if I wasn't already doing a cover for the HR Challenge coming up, I would have asked to do a cover of this one.

Oh--and don't feel alone with the noise issue. I have a room with a wall heater. I have to record in between furnace cycles in the winter. Not only that, but I have a computer with a fan, so recording a vocal/acoustic demo is next to impossible if I use the computer. Especially with a nice condenser mic, those noises are the bane of my studio. Someday, I'll get an isolation booth!

Keep the songs coming. You have some real talent.

crawdad said:
Oh--and don't feel alone with the noise issue. I have a room with a wall heater. I have to record in between furnace cycles in the winter. Not only that, but I have a computer with a fan, so recording a vocal/acoustic demo is next to impossible if I use the computer. Especially with a nice condenser mic, those noises are the bane of my studio. Someday, I'll get an isolation booth!

for your computer and any rack amps you might have try an iso box. a number of companies make'em. they are pretty much a rackunit with space for a PC enclosed by a sound proof casing for just that kind of problem.

of course, the iso-box wont help you with your furnance. :)
i dont think furnaces can fit in iso-boxes.. heheh..

-alex

Back