Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee Blues - Please Listen

Thanks

Talking Tennessee Blues - Please Listen

Sign in to disable this ad
    Here's my second post to the Mixing Clinic forum. Let me apologize in advance, it's another country tune in 3/4 tempo.

Please have a listen. I would appreciate any feedback on how I can improve.

Thanks,
    KF
    Toronto, Canada

http://www.nowhereradio.com/knopflerfan/singles

Thanks
    I can tell your a Dire Straits fan.

Sounds a bit like Brothers in Arms.

-Alex
    --
    https://soundcloud.com/alexpetty

Thanks
    Good tune.I caught this over on the Fostex board.I can tell you're a Mark Knopfler fan. Your voice sounds a lot like him on this tune.Nice clean recording.Did you do any mixing on the computer or was this done all within the MR 8?

Good job.

Thanks
    Please have a listen. I would appreciate any feedback on how I can improve.

I think paying extra attention to the vocal intonation would put the fine polish on an already good job.

Nice

Joe

Thanks
    Other than the room noise this sounds great. You do have a Knopler tone and style....I like that. I should have had you sing on my Brothers In Arms cover.

I didn't really hear this as a country tune. But whatever it is you did a beautiful job with it. Very nice! No suggestions, except to try and isolate whatever is causing that noise (computer fan?)

Thanks
    First of all the song is real effective. It really sets a mood and sustains it. It took me two listens to "get" the pulse of the 3/4 groove, but it started to feel a bit more natural after that. Light drums and some bass would help that aspect.

Lets see--a possible change in musical texture (a different instrument introduced) in the choruses would be a good thing, I think. Since the piano and the guitar play the same figures over and over, that aspect gets a little too predictable at times.

Bear in mind, these are just ideas, since you asked! I think the song itself is great and your voice sells it real well.

Thanks
    Originally posted by crawdad
    It took me two listens to "get" the pulse of the 3/4 groove, but it started to feel a bit more natural after that.
    oh..you 4/4 junkie!!! can't ya hear that "boom da da, boom da da" happening!!

nice vocals. the panned instruments where odd to me and I'd prefer stereo instruments instead. The guitar on the left sounds like a MIDI guitar and sequenced.

yes...nice vocals

Thanks
    Originally posted by mixmkr
    oh..you 4/4 junkie!!! can't ya hear that "boom da da, boom da da" happening!!
    Thats just it! I couldn't tell if it wanted to be 3/4 or 6/8 for a while! And just for your info, Mr. Mixmkr--I am writing a song in 3/4 as we speak! If you start throwing those 5/4 or 11/8 time signatures at me though, my mind does shut down pretty quick. Now those Fleetwood Mac fellas--there was some drumming I could understand--except for that "Go Your Own Way" song, which always fooled me at the beginning!

OK. back to the regularly scheduled thread. Sorry, KnopflerFan. What I was trying to say in the first post was this--the beat didn't seem established enough, which made me concentrate on that rather than completely on the song. On a song like this, it ought to be repetitive and actually kind of mindlessly hypnotic--established, laid in place and then out of the way. Just my opinion, though.

Thanks
    Originally posted by crawdad
    Thats just it! I couldn't tell if it wanted to be 3/4 or 6/8 for a while! And just for your info, Mr. Mixmkr--I am writing a song in 3/4 as we speak! If you start throwing those 5/4 or 11/8 time signatures at me though, my mind does shut down pretty quick.

Don't get me started...

Thanks

Thumbs up

GREAT recording to my ears....very enjoyable! Is there something here that you think needs improvement?

Excellent sound on the piano.

Thread Information