Ten Pounds - mix opinions needed!

MessianicDreams

Hiya!

Here's a song I just recorded and mixed in Tools, and was hoping to get some opinions on the mix quality. I'm having terrible troubles with the bass jumping out on certain notes, and I'm not too sure how to solve this. I think I may have to locate the appropriate frequencies and just graphic-EQ'em out of the mix..

Darby - Ten Pounds

Enjoy! and thanks for stopping by :)

Peace.

What do you mean by the bass jumping around? Uncontrolable peaks? If so, try a limiter plugin. The first thing that jumped out at me was the snare panned to the right; I'd pan it just about dead center. Sweet solo. Other than that, pretty good mix. Keep it up.

thanks for your reply :)

what i meant with the bass is that every so often it hits a note which is waay louder than the rest of the bass part. i've already compressed it a bit, put a fairly low threshold so that its almost continually compressing, and a fast attack time with a fairly low ratio. maybe i need to up the ratio a bit?

as for the snare, i'll see if it gets panned to the center again or not..i think i quite like it the way it is, it makes the song sound different.

anyone else got any opinions?

cheers :)

MD

Last edited:
Nice song.I don't hear the bass jumping out on me --I mean it sounds like a good mix.Nice harmonies,great guitarring--very nice leads...Were you going to fade this?-It sounds like the volume level comes down a smidgin at the very end.

hey dolod :) thanks for your reply. no i wasn't planning on fading this song out, you may notice a slight dip in level right at the end as i had problems with the click in the musicians' cans being picked up, so i had to fade out all acoustic guitars plus the overheads as they were all bleeding clicktrack.

i think i've narrowed down the problem with the bass, it was with one particular note and i think it's to do with my monitors..i tried it on other monitors and it doesn't sound half as bad as it did through mine.

anyone got any other comments?

thanks for listening :)

MD

nice song. I liked the slow build and great guitar solo. the bass sounded fine to me nothing really jumping out. I would like to hear the vocals thicker somehow and a tad (and only a tad) louder.

Wow...great tune. Builds up nicely. Great guitar playing, and the vocals are very very good. As jasgav mentioned, bring the vocals up a tad.

thanks for the reply dave :)

the vocal issue has been dealt with. any one else got comments? a new mix shall be posted i think...

thanks for the input guys :)

MD

Back