"As Tears Go By" - Rolling Stones cover

HA! Very cool version. I think the drums can come up. Vocals are up front and audible, and suit the version well. Digging the wah solo. Cool stuff, Queep.

Thanks Rami......took a lot for me to resist drenching the vocals in reverb as I usually do :D...noted on the drums, will try to kick em up a bit...thanks for checking it out!

Thunderstruck13 & ConorC - Thanks for listening! I am working on the drums , hoping to get a new mix posted later today...

Just wanted to say not sure why I keep gettin those stupid stars on my threads......but it aint me puttin em on there......as you can tell from listening to my crap...it aint that great.....just sayin

Great song to cover.

Guitar is stomping on everything. It also seems pretty heavily compressed. Drop the guitar a little to balance stuff out and then maybe chill on the compression a little. I do like the single rhythm guitar bit though. It's a nice change from the usual two rhythms panned wide.

Great song to cover.

Guitar is stomping on everything. It also seems pretty heavily compressed. Drop the guitar a little to balance stuff out and then maybe chill on the compression a little. I do like the single rhythm guitar bit though. It's a nice change from the usual two rhythms panned wide.

I thought the guitar was a bit loud as well.....tried dropping them down as well as adjusting the drum level...also lightened up on the compression.....thanks for the feedback!
Here is a new mix, link at top plays new mix as well:
MP3 Player SoundClick

Yup, better. I still think the compression is treating it badly, but it's definitely better.

Im not diggin the guitars...couldnt decide on either a fuzztype tone or a crunchy classic rock type....ended up with some ill defined fizz I think....
Gonna try and lay some new guitar tracks, really focusing on the tone right from the start....thanks for the feedback, your advice always helps

Last edited:
I really like it. I have to admit it is nothing like I expected but I've not heard your stuff before. Interesting to hear a different version. I wasn't sure of the guitar tone when I first heard it but 3 or 4 listens later it has really grown on me.

I'll be interested to hear how you change it with re-tracking the guitars.

I really like it. I have to admit it is nothing like I expected but I've not heard your stuff before. Interesting to hear a different version. I wasn't sure of the guitar tone when I first heard it but 3 or 4 listens later it has really grown on me.

I'll be interested to hear how you change it with re-tracking the guitars.

Thanks man, still not to happy with the guitars....laid down a couple of new tracks today, also added some drum /crash choke hits in the chorus which I thought added a cool dynamic to the song.
Thanks for listening and posting , I appreciate the feedback!

Here is a version with diffrent guitars I tracked today, and the drum hits I mentioned above, the wah solo is a little too loud I think.....
Link to new mix:
MP3 Player SoundClick

other previous links still play old version

Last edited:
New mix , tried to get the drums a little more "up" in the mix as well as bass guitar.....new rhythm guitars, changed up drum hits during chorus, any feedback welcome
Link at top of thread plays original version
streaming link to newest:
MP3 Player SoundClick

Sounds much better to me on the last mix. It all sounds great to me. Wish I could play drums like that.

Love that solo!

Compression dude. I'm not anti-compression by any means, but the compression/limiting on this thing is murdering the mix. Or the mix isn't right enough for compression this heavy. Whatever the case, it's a cool version and cool performances. It just doesn't breathe at all. It's like it's being thrown against a wall.

Mr Clean :Sounds much better to me on the last mix. It all sounds great to me. Wish I could play drums like that.
Love that solo!

Thanks man...yeah, wish I could play drums period:laughings:...these drums are from Betamonkees punk loops collection....best I can do for my 1 man band thing.....thanks alot for listening again and taking the time to comment, really appreciate it.

Greg_L :Compression dude. I'm not anti-compression by any means, but the compression/limiting on this thing is murdering the mix. Or the mix isn't right enough for compression this heavy. Whatever the case, it's a cool version and cool performances. It just doesn't breathe at all. It's like it's being thrown against a wall.

Yeah man, I hear ya, I guess I'm just having a hard time really understanding using compression ....I use none at all on the guitars while tracking...a little on the bass guitar...my original mix I did use a compression plugin in reaper (the one that comes with reaper),created a send and routed the rthym guitars to it ......also had compression on the master track.This last I mix killed those sends and only had the compression on the master, again a Reaper plug using a preset ...I think called super solid or something like that....Hear so much talk about using compression, I almost think i have to automaticly, even if my ears are telling me its fine as is...I am gonna go back and experiment more with this, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment again, I value your opinions on this stuff!

typically compression is good, like many say...if you don't hear it. Saturated guitars already have a lot of it already, due to the nature of the sound. Think of it as an automatic volume control that brings things up that are too low in volume...and visa versa. If it's just in a few pesky places, just go in and fix those areas. Then you can fiddle with the attack time and make things sound punchier or smoother. looking at your wave form...if it's really spiky in places, you might want to tame that. Look how your guitar tracks already look flattened off on the tops...no compression really needed. Now..you could kill something like a piano track that will looks spiky ...that's the nature of that instrument.

I think the Reaper plugs are great, but you'll need to adjust off their presets and don't count on it working like you want right out of the box. I like the fact that you can easily do parallel compression...all right in the plug in. Great for making drums sound bigger... squash the H out of it...but then still bring in the uncompressed version so you don't loose the punch and attack.

Interesting take on an oldie. Maybe a bit too much FX on the vocals? My preferences draw me towards a VanHalen approach with heavier guitars and drums.

Back