tear it apart!

darvis

Here's a little mix for all of you! No vocals or strong melody YET! Ive tracked and sequenced 2 guitars, drums, bass, and strings. Real drums are going on this saturday. Anyways, critique the mix on EQ, volume, any shitty usage of effects? Thanks guys.

http://www.idrive.com/dpuzak/

Song is located in the shared folder.

[This message has been edited by darvis (edited 01-16-2000).]

Hey I liked that tune. The change from minor to major back and forth wasn't contrived. It got Marilyn's cousin Sid ('62 SG reissue) singing. I can't find anything to tear up.
Even the strings worked! And I'm much more partial to cello than violin. Can't wait to hear the real drums and some vocals.
As to your websmanship: The only way I got in was to strip the filename off of the URL and then select the file from the directory that led me to. And why on Earth (or any other planet) did you zip it? The filesize was reduced by only about 0.25%, or ~15.6KB.
Not worth your trouble or anyone elses.

Thank drstawl! I hope the link works now..okay..ftp.xoom.com wont accept .mp3 file extensions! So I zipped it. What do you mean about the major to minor not contriving? I really didnt use a major to minor....oh well.
I'l be posting the final version up in a few weeks. thanks

Darvis,

I think you've done an excellent job on that track - I've only had a chance to listen to it thru some cheesey computer speakers but it sounded pretty good to me. Just a quick question... what did you use to program the drum track on that song? Drum machine or software? It's just that there are a few of us here who are using Fruity Loops software for drums and no one can find any decent cymbal crash samples. For programmed drums I thought the crashes and infact the whole "kit" sounded really good.

Anyway, I look forward to future posts from you :)

Okay cooperman, here's the story..the drums were a standard midi file I found on a zip disk of mine. I knew I needed an easy going but subtle hip hop kinda beat, so I based the song partially on this type of beat. The samples are soundfont. I can give you the sfbank if you need it. I do usually sequence in drum beats, but it was almost a half assed effort becuase i knew i was going to put on real drums anyway. So basically it was a really kick ass click track.

while i'm not a fan of this type of music, I thought it sounded great, nothing much more to add. I would like to hear it with real drums too, please repost it after you've recorded it again.

ametth

Ah- By "not contrived" I meant that the progression sounded natural, not that it didn't click.
As to the minor vs. major, I was just referring to what scales sounded right played over the chords in various spots.
From the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary:
Contrived: Artificial, labored.
And the easy (read: faster) workaround for those Xoom clowns is to merely change the extension to something they will accept. Won't change the file at all and the receiving party can simply rename the file and play it.

Hey Darvis, great job! I like it, I especially like the guitar tone. What gear are you using? I'd like to hear it again with vocals or whatever.

I used a Shure SM-57 for micing the guitar. The shure went direct into the sound card which is an SB Live. I used a strat with a fender princeton chorus. The mix was placed on axis with the center of the speaker cone and placed about 1 inch.
Ya, the vocals and real drums will sweeten it up alot. Also, instead of the strings I found a REAL NICE cello soundfont and thats what I am gonna use.
thanks

Ok boys, I had to post my school project at the current URL where the song is :(
It'll be down as soon as it is evaluated...you can still get the song there, its in the root dir and its called time.zip

F*ck these damn projects, they waste time, valuable recording time :)

Sounds great - nice guitar work - the SF patch you used sounded really good in the lower registers, but maybe you'd want to look @ another for the higher melody line -
I enjoyed the tune; let us know when the final version is ready.

I liked the song, and would like to hear it with either vocals or as an instrumental with a guitar melody part. Being primarily a guitar player, I'd like to hear more lead sections with the Strat. That clean tone is excellent for the song. I'm suprised, considering that the SM-57 went right into the SB Live. I have a SB Live and anything I run through the analog I/O sounds terrible. Nice guitar playing too.

Back