Tandjent - No One Will Hear Us (Prog Metal)

timothydog

Hey everyone,

My band Tandjent is about to release our debut CD called No One Will Hear Us on September 6th. It's pretty much raw / progressive / strange metal for the most part. I play lead/rhythm guitar and do vocals.

The entire recording, mixing and mastering was done on PC in my home studio and we couldn't be happier with the final product. There are a few short samples of some of the songs for you guys check out along with pre-order information and other stuff all available at our website:

www.tandjent.com

Cheers,
Tim

Very raw, heavy, in your face stuff. Love the guitars. You did an excellent job on this...
Ed

Last edited:
Sounds very good. Tuned to A? Maybe Lower? Sounds alot like Meshuggah from the mid 90's which is a good thing. Either None or Destroy Erase Improve. Not sure if that is what you are going for but that is what it reminds me of alot.

Thanks Dogman (One of my favorite KX albums btw ;) )

Very perceptive monkeymanx. Meshuggah (DEI / Chaosphere era) are one of our bigger influences. Two of the songs use a drop Ab tuning, song 1 and song 10.

Thanks again for the comments!

The Meshuggah influence definitely stands out in these songs. The playing and even the production is right on the mark. The execution is top notch. I can't really get past how much it sounds like older Meshuggah though. Im sure you will pick up a lot of fans for this but for listeners like me it may also count against you.
Would you care to elaborate on the production? I would feel comfortable saying that this is one of the better Metal recordings i've heard on this board.

ExcellenT!!

This sounds great. Fabulous production and guitar work. If anything the mix lacks low end. I would buy this. Let me know when you start selling the finished product.

Wireneck said:
The Meshuggah influence definitely stands out in these songs. The playing and even the production is right on the mark. The execution is top notch. I can't really get past how much it sounds like older Meshuggah though. Im sure you will pick up a lot of fans for this but for listeners like me it may also count against you.
Would you care to elaborate on the production? I would feel comfortable saying that this is one of the better Metal recordings i've heard on this board.

We are definitely very heavily influenced by Meshuggah. I won't deny it. They are one of the more important metal bands as of recent days. I think if you were to hear the whole album you would see that we aren't just a Meshuggah clone. Human Antidote is definitely :)

As far as production goes, everything was done on my PC DAW in my tiny home studio. All drums are Drumkit From Hell Superior (after many many days of tweaking). The guitars are Ibanez RG7420 with EMG707 pickups straight into a Mesa Single Rectifier mic'd with a Stedman N-90. The bass is direct through the POD with a touch of distortion. All vocals are just through a trusty SM57. :)

W.I.S.C. said:
ExcellenT!!

This sounds great. Fabulous production and guitar work. If anything the mix lacks low end. I would buy this. Let me know when you start selling the finished product.

Thanks for the compliment man,
We are very happy with the whole mix but bass is definitely on my list of things to improve the next time around. We should have our CD's sometime later this week and will be shipping out preorders on the 6th.

I think if you were to hear the whole album you would see that we aren't just a Meshuggah clone.

Maybe consider posting a few clips that highlight these other aspects? Im not in anyway trying to call you a rip off or put your band down but from the clips I heard the influence is coming through STRONG. I would definitely be interested in hearing more.

All drums are Drumkit From Hell Superior (after many many days of tweaking).

I must have been having a huge mind fart earlier. I kept thinking, these drum sounds are great they really do sound like Meshuggah's kit haha. Not that it takes away from the production quality but I definitely should have caught that.

Wireneck said:
Maybe consider posting a few clips that highlight these other aspects? Im not in anyway trying to call you a rip off or put your band down but from the clips I heard the influence is coming through STRONG. I would definitely be interested in hearing more.

I must have been having a huge mind fart earlier. I kept thinking, these drum sounds are great they really do sound like Meshuggah's kit haha. Not that it takes away from the production quality but I definitely should have caught that.

I'll be working on some new samples tomorrow. Maybe try and showcase some of the variety a bit. I'll keep you posted.

DFHS is godly! It's very coincidental that they happen to be Tomas' actual drums too. Had I not have ever heard of Meshuggah, I would have bought this sample set hands down anyway. It's basically what I have been dreaming of in a "drum machine" since about 15 years ago when I started programming beats on a Sound Blaster Pro 8 bit soundcard. :D

In other news, Human Antidote was played on the radio here locally tonight. Pretty exciting! I made an mp3 of the segment and put it up on the Tandjent site. www.tandjent.com

Update:

Human Antidote was played in entirety on a local radio station last night. The DJ had some very nice words about the album. I recorded the segment and made it available as an mp3 on my site.

Also, I should have some new mp3 samples of some other songs shortly.

Damn!
Excellent stuff. You have really got your shit together dude. Great job.
Easily one of the best metal productions I've heard on here.
Great guitar playing too by the way!

Thanks much man,
I'm glad people are able to appreciate the work I put into it.
I'm going to put up a new mp3 sample up tonight. Check it out later!

fuck yea dude that was great heavy shit wish i could growl like that.
my fav kina music to listen to but i can't play it lol anyways that was tight :D

Hey all,

I just wanted to dust off this old thread and let everyone who is interested knowing that our Tandjent CDs arrived yesterday and are now available for purchase through our website. The packaging turned out great. Couldn't be happier.

www.tandjent.com

Cheers!
Tim

Forgot about this thread. I was gonna reply telling you how awsome your mixes are, but I completely forgot while listening to the songs on my computer. Yes, you sound like Meshuggah, but hell.. I love Meshuggah. And I'm sure you can not sound like them too. With that down, I was wondering if maybe you could post some pics of your studio here? I don't know who else would like to see them, but I'm kinda in the same deal as you, that I have a metal band, and that I built a small studio in my basement. So Im very interested.

Great mixes.

Ben

Thanks a lot man,
I'll get some pictures up shortly. It's a really simple set up in here. Just some decent monitor speakers and some homemade sound deadening material up on the walls. Recorded guitars in a seperate, non-connected room for best isolation. Everything tracked into my home PC DAW. Other than that, it was a LOT of listening to mixes in various stereos... and then a LOT of listening to masters in various stereos. God I'm glad that's over for now haha.

Here are some shots of my home studio. It's nothing big as you can see. I use my old Roland 16 track as a mixer (a VERY expensive mixer no less :P ) to run into my PC. I use an M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96 audio card. You can see a POD 2.0 there but we ditched that eventually to record the guitars using all Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier. It was used for the bass though. The sound deadening material on the walls is just simple 12"x12" suspended ceiling insulation wrapped in black felt cloth.

http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/media/DSC00581.jpg
http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/media/DSC00582.jpg
This pic is much more recent (and cluttered :P ):
http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/media/DSC01638.JPG

Here is my "super ghetto" vocal booth that actually served me very well. I hung a thick comforter blanket supported by two mic extended mic stands behind me while I was in there to get it as "isolated as possible". Totally MacGyver huh? :D We ultimately decided to use the tried and true Shure SM57 for vocals instead of the mic in the picture.

http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/media/DSC01078.JPG
http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/media/DSC01089.JPG

The guitars were done with Ibanez RG7420's with EMG707's in the bridge pickup. We just used some EQing before running into the Mesa head. Then we mic'd the Marshall 1960a cabinet with a Stedmann N90 Mic.

Bass was an Ibanez ATK (1995) run direct through the POD. All drums were Drumkit from Hell Superior. The monitor speakers are Mackie HR824. My pride and joy. :D

Back