Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Talking 'bout... (take 2)

RAMI Guest

Talking 'bout... (take 2)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Pop music........

I re-did the drums and bass to this, as per everyone's comments in the other thread. It's my first time recording in the new house. The bass doesn't really matter because it's direct. But I didn't know how the drums would sound here, so I was crossing my fingers. I think the room sounds pretty good. I'm happy as shit because it's a smaller room, but I did alot of treatment to it.

So, the only things new here are the bass and drums. I'm still curious to hear how vocals and guitar will sound.

Let me know how this sounds....thanx.

NOT TO LOVE YOU

Thanks
    Mate, what's the trick with the bass? It sound really, REALLY good. The bass solo is excellent!
    Drums sound great to me - good bass drum thump.
    Both retrackings instruments seem a little up in the mix - that'd be natural though.
    This may not be your style of music but you do it well - melody, harmony & chiming guitars - stuff you do in your sleep you mongrel!!!!!
    Changing rooms or even re arranging one takes a lot of getting used to. - You'll crack it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayc View Post
    Mate, what's the trick with the bass? It sound really, REALLY good. The bass solo is excellent!
    Drums sound great to me - good bass drum thump.
    Both retrackings instruments seem a little up in the mix - that'd be natural though.
    This may not be your style of music but you do it well - melody, harmony & chiming guitars - stuff you do in your sleep you mongrel!!!!!
    Changing rooms or even re arranging one takes a lot of getting used to. - You'll crack it.
    I concur. I'm very envious of that bass sound (and the kick). Please let me know how you did it. (compression/eq/etc.) Thanks man, and keep up the good work!

-Joel

Thanks

Phase issue now gone.

What was it incidentally?

Tom to Snare mic Phase?

OH phase?

While i like the Bass sound really ... in 60's tradition Id thin that bass up a bit Id not necessarily turn it down just thin it up.

like it's a Vocal and beat sound.

1. vocals
    2. beat.
    3. melody
    4. bass.

anyone can disagree and will but that's what the other version had that thin bass sound, so you see it was all vocals and beat. but i understand why you re-tracked the bass.

that's why i was trying to understand a beat re-track on a full song the bass is never in time again (well, not to me) (so then i re-track the bass then the Melody)

sounds great just thin the bass up again.
    less is more in this case.

Thanks
    Drums sound great - I think you have the right setup and settings for them. Nice and clear and even sounding. I like the short decay on the cymbals - that's partially playing maybe but it is cool. Bass sounds tight as a rat's ass (watertight).....

RAMI Guest
    Hey that alot guys.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the old track...Could have been somethnig as simple as not making sure my mics were placed well...laziness!

The bass...well, first of all, I changed my bass strings for the first time in about 2 years. That probably helped. As far as recording, it's just an Ibanez bass plugged into my Focusrite pre-amp, with a very little compression. I then compress and EQ a little bit while mixing. One thing I think helps my bass sound good is picking HARD. I monitor, when I'm tracking bass, at a volume that forces me to play hard. I'm not sure if that's any secret to real bass players or not, but my bass doesn't sound as good if I play soft.

Quote Originally Posted by the BlackBay
    While i like the Bass sound really ... in 60's tradition I’d thin that bass up a bit I’d not necessarily turn it down just thin it up.
    You're probably right. I wasn't thinking "60's" when I was mixing this, even though the song style might call for it. I don't think I'm good enough at mixing yet to worry about anything other than getting a hopefully good mix. Good point you make, though.

Thanx for all the comments...I'm happy with my new room, though I haven't recorded vocals yet. I think that's the real test.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMI View Post
    Thanx for all the comments...I'm happy with my new room, though I haven't recorded vocals yet. I think that's the real test.
    RAMI - post some pics of your new room when you get a chance....

Thanks
    Sounds better for sure.

Love the cowbell. Do you use use one of those foot-beater cowbells, or a standard mount?

I'd like to get a foot-beater bell, but I'm not quite limb independednt enough to use it effectively.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
    RAMI - post some pics of your new room when you get a chance....
    Yes, I tried last night, but my camera kept eating shitty batteries. I have to go get some good batteries and I'll post some soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_L View Post
    Sounds better for sure.

Love the cowbell. Do you use use one of those foot-beater cowbells, or a standard mount?

I'd like to get a foot-beater bell, but I'm not quite limb independednt enough to use it effectively.
    It's just a regular hand held cowbell that I overdubbed. The timing isn't great on it, but I like the sloppy feel.

Thanks
    Well it sounds awesome. Perfect use of cowbell. Fits the song perfectly.

Thread Information