Talking 'bout....

R

RAMI

Pop Music.....

...I first posted a version of this a few months ago, but decided to re-track the whole thing. It's a bit of a corny pop tune, but at least it's not a love song. :D

I just moved into a new house and my ears aren't used to the new room yet, so when I played the mix in the new place, I thought I heard all kinds of weird stuff I didn't hear before. I hope it's just my imagination.

So, any help is much appreciated. Thanx.

Not to Love You

This has always been my favorite song of yours. I don't know why. It just has a sort of a 60's garage-band-bubble-gum vibe and I like it. I remember the first time you posted it and I liked it immediately. :)

Did you re-track the drums too? The snare seems to be lacking a little power compared to your usual drum tracks. It's got plenty of pop and click, but no real meat to it. I think the vocals - all of them - can come up a bit too. Everything else sounds pretty good. Nice jangly guitar tones. Cool song.

Near Perfect Power Pop Rami!
I'm a PPop fan & this is on the ball.
3 parts Beatles, 2 parts Plimsouls, 1 part Matthew Sweet & 4 parts RAMI.
in terms of a perfect Ppop mix you only need to lift the little guitar line/runs a bit & you're THERE!
Excellent.
Hope the new domicile is what you wanted/need.

I hate sounding like I'm blowing smoke when I review peoples tunes here...but this really is that good to my ears! I love this genre of music , and you really nail the vibe/sound well..vocals are great, lyrics are very catchy! Big fan of Matthew Sweet, and this is defiantly reminiscent of his work, but with your own stamp...You need to get a Rickenbacker and really start jangling ;)!!
Nice one Rami!

Definitely reminiscent of that era and vibe...:D

Great guitar sound for this....very clear. I agree that the vocals are a little hidden. Not sure about the snare sound...it seems to fit the vibe of this tune, but maybe a bit more follow through sound would still sound good. Great bass again. It has plenty of punch to it.

Excellent tune RAMI - very well done. The vocal arrangement is very cool with the layering effect you use. Maybe just a bit up on the riff at the spot I would refer to as the "break" at 1:44. The drums are punchy as is the bass. You are getting quite the jangle out of the Strat ! :cool:

Big fan of Matthew Sweet, and this is defiantly reminiscent of his work
Ha! That's one of my favorite typos! I love it!

Regarding the song. Sounds real good to me - catchy fun song! I think the lead vocals could be a tad louder, maybe?

Hey guys, thanx alot for all the comments and suggestions. I'll definitely bring the vocals up a bit, and maybe some more guits, too.

Greg, the drums probably are a little less meaty than usual. Without trying to go retro, I wanted to have the snare ringing a bit and sound a little garage-y.

I'll re-mix this while looking at the notes you guys left on this page.

Oh, by the way, I've never heard of Mathew Sweet. I'll have to check it out. I'm not sure if I'll like it, because, to be honest, if this wasn't my song, I'd probably not listen to it. :eek:

The bass tone is a little LF heavy in my phones... Like it could use a little eq cut and volume boost.

The low harmony on the vocal needs to come up a few db at least.

Guitars sound nice and jangly.

As always, great drumming and lyrics.

Needs a harmonica solo!!!:D

Question: at what resolution are you recording?

The bass tone is a little LF heavy in my phones... Like it could use a little eq cut and volume boost.

The low harmony on the vocal needs to come up a few db at least.

Guitars sound nice and jangly.

As always, great drumming and lyrics.

Needs a harmonica solo!!!:D

Question: at what resolution are you recording?

Thamx alot, Casey. I will be bringing all the vocals up a bit. I'll have to re-listen to the bass for some of that boominess.
I record at 24bit. Why? Does it sound too lo-fi??? There's something about the "sound" of this tune that might be bothering me, but I'm not sure if it's just the new room, or if there is an issue I have to resolve with this tune.

If you chase up matthew Sweet go for Girlfriend or Mars he's brilliant but was a bit wayward after Mars.
Altered Beast is best but it's not so PPop. Velvet Crush on the other hand....

you nailed that sound RAMI

that's file compression artefacts I’m hearing and would not be in the original.

is that what yo are possibly talking about there Super?

oh yeah now i see it's 320 k.

hmmmmmm

what HZ rate rami?

listen to the toms in the first fill that's what i'm talking about.

if that's not in the original You nailed it RAmi.

job.

Last edited:
if it's not File compression

it's a Phasing issue.

now i think about it, i'm not sure it's present on the vocals or the guitar?

symbols and toms yes.... OH phase? oh now i hear it's not so much on the Ride which would have been MIc'd i think it's OH phase.

but then i've drunk a lot of vodka.

wait up no i haven't, i'm going to but.

I love "Narrow mind keeps you sedated"

is that you singing Rami?

it's a Phasing issue.

now i think about it, i'm not sure it's present on the vocals or the guitar?

symbols and toms yes.... OH phase? oh now i hear it's not so much on the Ride which would have been MIc'd i think it's OH phase.

but then i've drunk a lot of vodka.

wait up no i haven't, i'm going to but.

I love "Narrow mind keeps you sedated"

is that you singing Rami?

I'll definitely look into the phasing and possible overall boominess. I might end up re-tracking the drums. It would be a good way to test the new room. I haven't done any recording here yet. Thanx.

Yes, I'm singing and playing all.

I could find a market for that song.

great track Rami - yeah look at re-tracking or drum re-placing them.

unless you're the gun on the drums i'd sound replace, unless you have done that kind of thing before?

if it is the drums causing the unwanted effect that is.

great track Rami - yeah look at re-tracking or drum re-placing them.

unless you're the gun on the drums i'd sound replace, unless you have done that kind of thing before?

if it is the drums causing the unwanted effect that is.

Yeah, I'll re-track. I definitely won't replace them. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my thing.

Thanx for the advice.

Wow

a completed song drum Re-track I’d like to hear the results, I’d be well impressed.. have you done that before?

not pissing in your pocket i'd be coloured impressed.

i saw on your site you have drum track and stuff so maybe you have done it?

Hey Rami. I've been working on doing oldie sets for a Bazaar and this song would fit right in there, great stuff! The only thing that stuck out for me was the snare sound. It sounded a little tight or something, ringing out without enough snare.

a completed song drum Re-track I’d like to hear the results, I’d be well impressed.. have you done that before?

not pissing in your pocket i'd be coloured impressed.

i saw on your site you have drum track and stuff so maybe you have done it?

Yeah, I do it all the time. I've re-tracked the drums to many of my tunes. In fact, in a sense, I always do it since drums is the last thing I record when I track.

Back