Tale of the Hooded Rider

I love the flute!!! That gives it such a mysterious element...

The back vox jump out way too much Xeries....as I had told you before, I think your voice is perfect on this song without a need for any other voice than your own...except maybe some far away, surround-sound oooos and aaahhhhs and ghostly echoes of what you sing...but its your song.

I think if you would just soften her parts, it would really help bring the mellow intensity back into the song.

By the way..I still love this song. It is a tale that pleases the ears.:cool:

And I have not listened to the song in depth as it is now, enough to really comment on anything else..but I'll give it a listen when I get back home from work.

I love the flute!!! That gives it such a mysterious element...

The back vox jump out way too much Xeries....as I had told you before, I think your voice is perfect on this song without a need for any other voice than your own...except maybe some far away, surround-sound oooos and aaahhhhs and ghostly echoes of what you sing...but its your song.

I think if you would just soften her parts, it would really help bring the mellow intensity back into the song.

By the way..I still love this song. It is a tale that pleases the ears.:cool:

And I have not listened to the song in depth as it is now, enough to really comment on anything else..but I'll give it a listen when I get back home from work.

Thanks very much, True. I will take your advice to the next mix.:)

Normally not my cup o' joe, but this really hit the spot for me. The flute is very timely. Vocals are just right for the tune. Not even timing issues with the dog. One thing..is that hiss or an effect..almost like a rain effect. Maybe my crappy spaeakers are done. Great tune, very enjoyable.

All this tallk of hooded rider and flute had me think this was about an uncircumcised/condom wearing Don Juan type.
Thankfully my flight of fantasy is neither a reflection of my psyche or the song.
Yeah BVox too loud.
Is this the one you posted as all male parts (there I go again) originally? I REALLY enjoyed that version.
This is really good too - just tame the girlie.
Hmm, I just heard what Riff was referring to. It seems to be part of one of the synth pads - if it is it could use tweaking.
Very good song.

This reminds me of Gordon Lightfoot. Very laid back and serene. Nice job.

+1 for the flute... :cool:

Sounds pretty good. Pretty dense sound. Are the vox leaning a little left on purpose? The woman backing vox jumps out a little too much. Other than that, it's pretty good. It's a nice tale, but it's a bit long and repetitive.

Normally not my cup o' joe, but this really hit the spot for me. The flute is very timely. Vocals are just right for the tune. Not even timing issues with the dog. One thing..is that hiss or an effect..almost like a rain effect. Maybe my crappy spaeakers are done. Great tune, very enjoyable.

Thanks for the heads up on the hiss, Riff. Turns out the "dream vox" I had in the background was hissing so I cut the 12K about 5dB and that calmed things down. Much better now, thanks to your ears.

I get to mixing so much that my ears are toast.:o

Sounds pretty good. Pretty dense sound. Are the vox leaning a little left on purpose? The woman backing vox jumps out a little too much. Other than that, it's pretty good. It's a nice tale, but it's a bit long and repetitive.

Thanks Greg, I tried to center the lead vocal. It's recorded in stereo with two condenser mics, so it's pretty much where I'm standing at the time. I know that sounds lame, but I like the depth of field I get that way. I should put an X on the floor and always stand there or something.

I softened the woman backing vox and hopefully it sits in the mix better.

As far as being long, yeah, all my songs are too long to be commercial. I've got to quit that shit.

Thanks for the spin:)

All this tallk of hooded rider and flute had me think this was about an uncircumcised/condom wearing Don Juan type.
Thankfully my flight of fantasy is neither a reflection of my psyche or the song.
Yeah BVox too loud.
Is this the one you posted as all male parts (there I go again) originally? I REALLY enjoyed that version.
This is really good too - just tame the girlie.
Hmm, I just heard what Riff was referring to. It seems to be part of one of the synth pads - if it is it could use tweaking.
Very good song.

Thanks, Ray, I tamed the girlie and ditched the hiss for the most part.:)

Yep - no hiss or excess bvox now. Personally I would center the lead vox and pan the rest left/right...well, not everything but you know ;) The length isn't bad if you consider this for a classical/alt station where things can be longer and make the drive more enjoyable. Other than panning I think the mix is great. Panning is just my taste too... Love the flute and the guitar is equally well done...

This is sounding really good at this point. One of my favorite mixes of yours so far. I love the snyth backdrop for the whole thing and particularly the bassy swell towards the end of each verse.

I got the explanation of why the lead vox are off to the left, but I still wish they were more centered at least when the BGV aren't present as there is nothing to offset them.

What is the percussion instrument off to the right? A cymbal, shaker, or some synth effect? It is a nice subtle touch.

Xeries is back!
As usual, beautiful song. The acoustic sounds a bit loud in the beginning but sinks better in the mix as it goes along. Voice is very much to the left, but that's not necessarily bad. The backings have to blend a bit more with the main voice, but the harmonies are nice. But the highlight of the song are really the flute parts, they sound absolutely beautiful!

Cheers
Joe

Back