Taking on Flak - Original

DM60

OK, I haven't posted in a long time in the clinic. I am trying a few new things and I need to see if I am in the right direction.

It is a busy mix, so pretty hard to get all of the different sounds working together.

Any input is appreciated, speakers, headphones, ear buds.

New mix
Taking On Flak by DM60 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Cool song ! I'm listening with decent earbuds on laptop , the guys in the ship with you get a little loud and piercing in a few spots. I also think the vocal delay could be adjusted a little. It doesn't seem to be syncing as well as it could. Other than that great job , this sure wasn't your average song. mark

Thanks Mark. Yea, I took the voices off a recording of an actual WWII bombing run. I was trying to get it heard, but in the back ground. Thought I had it balanced, but will take another look at that.

On vocal delay, are you talking lead vocal? It is actually doubled tracked, so I may need to make some adjustments. Got to love digital.

Thanks for those comments, just the sort of feedback I was looking for.

I thought the instruments tracks sounded great and I liked how the bombing dialog presented the narrative in the intro.

Once the vocals kicked in, it kinda squelched the mood. To me, the vocals were sitting on top of the mix, like you were singing to a pre-recorded track. I think you can absolutely do without the doubled vocal track. It is too distracting. You can either tighten up the doubled vocal or just use a single vocal track.

For the running dialog, I suggest playing snippets only during breaks in the lyrics or in place of guitar fills, but not running the entire time underneath the singer. It adds to the distraction rather than enhance the song.

I like the direction you want to take the song and I think you are close to getting there.
Cool man.

I thought the instruments tracks sounded great and I liked how the bombing dialog presented the narrative in the intro.

Once the vocals kicked in, it kinda squelched the mood. To me, the vocals were sitting on top of the mix, like you were singing to a pre-recorded track. I think you can absolutely do without the doubled vocal track. It is too distracting. You can either tighten up the doubled vocal or just use a single vocal track.

For the running dialog, I suggest playing snippets only during breaks in the lyrics or in place of guitar fills, but not running the entire time underneath the singer. It adds to the distraction rather than enhance the song.

I like the direction you want to take the song and I think you are close to getting there.
Cool man.

I agree with you on the background vocals and was contemplating doing that. Your comments I have to agree with.

On double tracking, I have waffled on that so much. I like the sound, but ... I will give it a try without it and see if I can warm up to it.

Thanks for the great input!

Sounds a Lot better, but you still have issues in the doubled chorus sections. It sounds like there is some delay between the two tracks. The first voice you hear should be the one on time and the loudest. It's sounding like the delayed one is louder and making whole section sound out of time. I think you're too close to getting it right to leave it like it is .. mark

Thanks Mark, I think I have this all sorted out. The comments you and Chili made were very helpful and I think made the mix/production of the song much better.

On the delay, I had a ADT plugin that had a slight delay and for some reason I think made the slight early vocal sound more early. I do tend to be early on my vocals.

Why this mix was more of a challenge is that I started working a new plug chain for the vocals. Mainly a new EQ and using a de-esser to remove the harness from the vocals. That seemed to allow the vocals to push through much better, which then exposed more issues with the vocals.

I am pretty pleased with the results, just have to get used to vocals being more prominent in the mix. One thing about this recordiong and mixing is you never stop finding new ways.

Back