"Taken" with Pedullist on the bass

Weird, bent, I like it alot. Don't touch a thing. Print it burn it. Move on to the next album cut.

That sounds great! If that's a home system I need to get mine sounding that good. I'm downloading more....

wish I had faster than a dail up :(

I wanted to add an update to my comment on the bass. The "mud" I referred to is only during that louder part that first kicks in around 1:00. And it's not so much that it's muddy exactly, it's just that when all the action kicks in, the bass loses a little of its "punch". It might just be a matter of a half a db or so, or a tiny little eq adjustment to help the bass maintain itself with everything else going on around it.

During the quieter parts it's fine.

By the way, I'm talking microscopic differences here that 99% of the world wouldn't even notice. It's just that I've been wrestling with a bass part all day on my own tune, so my ears are tuned into bass.

Or maybe they're tired and "overhearing" things now. Could be either one.:)

Chris

Great song. Your voice (style/tone) sounds really good on this one. I'd say it's good to go.

I was listening to some of your other songs too; they're all dynamically interesting. It's great that you go beyond the standard pop "verse/chorus/bridge/verse/chorus all in under 2 minutes" sorta thing.

Stunning musicianship all the way around. I tip my hat to both of ya. Awesome tune - totally pro.

If you guys keep raising the bar on this board I'm gonna take up another hobby - maybe I'll start a radio show.

Three thumbs up!! (great feature for reviews but makes playing the mandolin a bitch.)
Milan

Gee, I just submitted my first set of ideas with viola to Sluice ... I guess all I can do now is screw it up ...

pReSsUrE !!!!

I can't wait though to get it done ...

Nice work guys! Sounds great!

I've listened about 5 times now and have done an A/B with an older version. It sounds a lot better with Tjarko's bass. I'd like to hear his fingers a little more. There's a lot of bottom in there. I don't if you really needed that boost at 125 - not that it was a huge tweak. I don't know offhand what frequency range brings out the right hand, but if I were mixing it I'd look for it and bring it up a little.

Snare could use a little more pop. It also sounds pretty far behind everything else, like maybe it's heavier with reverb.

Your lead guitar tone is impecable. In the work you do to change your guitar tone, make sure you don't lose that wonderful lead sound!

Mix Update

Bass Tweaks:
-2.5db at 125Hz
+2dB at 900Hz
+4dB at 6Khz
(Those figures pretain to the previous EQ settings, not the "flat" image.)

Also, Tjarko warned me that he had over-compressed during tracking, so the louder parts got squashed a bit heavy, thus we lost some definition. The boosts at 6K I mentioned seem to have helped some, but I also raised the overall level in those sections by 1.6dB, which was totally necessary IMO. (Thanks Groucho, Freshears, and anyone else who pointed that out!)

Snare:
I took all reverb off the snare. The snare sound I'm using has a lot of sustain and doesn't seem to need reverb. (thanks Phil)

And Thanks to everyone else for listening. Some very helpful ears out there and I appreciate your time!

I like the last mix.

And I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words.

I had a blast recording this. I've learned a whole damn lot from it.
I like the idea that I only played his part, that this song is still 100% HIS song. I feel like I've honored the bass part, just by playing it on a real bass. Now everyone can finally hear it's a great part, Tom is a great bassplayer (unfortunately without a good bass). Before, this basspart was something you could ignore easily (because Tom tends to mix his synth bass parts very softly, like he's ashamed of it). I mean, when he sent me the cwp file I discovered notes I had never heard before. And I've listened to Taken 200+ times! :eek: :D

Tom is a unique songwriter...listen to it with headphones, it's amazing. I love, for instance, the little twiddly guitar thingies at the end.

Where the hell is my beer!?!?!?

Great song BTW......no real comments other than, "It's excellent as usual."

This is Fantastic

Wow. Yup a real good one. The song, recording, rythem is amazing. Great quality and amazing ideas that are so well put together. Great. This is really good songwriting and performance is perfect. So many styles thrown in. Well done.

Erland

I am listening to a selection of your songs. So creative, so well put together. I love it when you play the guitar solos. eg. on Feathers and Bones. Awsome haromonies. Nice!

This is so good once again. Your songwriting, mixing, arrangement, etc. is steller.

I came to this site to learn mixing. I don't know how well that has worked out, but I'm glad I found it to experience such good songwriting and talent.

Thanks,
Todd

Got a little more time to respond today

SLuiCe- Don't forget to take out the trash.

Myx62- Thank you for listening and commenting. Not sure how important the rimshot sound is to me, but if it gets to be a problem you let me know. :) Thanks bud.

powderfinger- Yea I am psyched to have real bass on this. Gives me much more confidence in the rest of the mix! Thanks brotha.

freshears- Hmmm...not quite sure what, if anything, I did differently with acoustics. Maybe bass being more present has given the impression of a different tone in the acoustic, or something like that. One part definitely affects another so maybe. Glad you still like it though. Cheers.

GT- Thank you!

musical5- Ya, I love Elfman's music. I wouldn't say I spend a lot of time listening to him these days, or anything really (unfortunately). But I really got into the Nightmare soundtrack. It made me really want to get into film scoring. But finding the time to get into that and still hold a carpenter job is not easy. I listened to some Boingo, but no Oingo Boingo. I must check it out. Thanks for listening!

sjcrts- Thanks Scott. I'm going to do something a capella, but with harmonies. Don't know what yet. I posted that Tom Waits tune with no rehearsal and only two takes, so I wasn't feeling very confident at all. Just killing time until I got Pedullist's approval for the bass mix here. I'll try something.. :) Cheers.

Middleman- Thanks!

Jasonbird- Thanks!

Bass Master "K"- We can do a lot without spending much money when we spend some time with our stuff. The solutions are not always gear upgrades. I'm still milking the same gear I've been using for a year, most of it I bought when I started less than two years ago. Just listen to what people are hearing in your mixes, then go find a solution on your own. It's fun, aggravating, and rewarding all at once. Thanks for listening!

groucho- Your advice was spot on (See my post above from yesterday). Thanks again.

M. Brane- Thanks!

antij- Hey man thanks for observations and and checking out the other tunes for contrast. I liked your recent song and hope you stick around!

MC Gitarz- Thanks Milan!

studioviols- PM's....

frprod south- I took all your suggestions. Thanks. I just sent you an email...

Pedullist- Your bass playing sucks ass.

dabluesman- Thanks!

Lt. Bob- I took your bag too.

Erland- Very nice to see you here. I hope you didn't stumble into one of my nightmare songs and spoil your good mood! :) It's hard to hear my own music after being cheered up by yours!

skids- Thanks Todd. I came here for the same reasons, and have learned more than I ever thought possible here. Just by reading different peoples' observations and listening to the music they are trying to create. I would very much miss it if it was taken from me. Cheers!

Bass has more definition. Snare fits better. There's no reverb on that at all?
But you forgot to take out the trash, didn't you? ;)

Even though its not really my style of music
I like the production a lot ..
the acoustics even sounded good on these cheap pc speakers at work :)
ur voice sounds good you dont seem to suffer from those pitch problems you where complaining about in another thread somewhere :)

Hey Dudes.......

....just fuckin cool man!!!! A PERFECT choice for a bassline Ped... ....very nice. And Tom.... you the shiznit baby!!! Very cool vocals.... swimming. Great stuff brutha!!!
Its a chore trying to find nits in your stuff man. In the Polka verses:-)D ), I wonder if taking a little edge off of the kick drum to let the bass come up more... ...a little bit of a mellower sound to blend more w/ the bass... without so much attack... ....not a nit btw, just wondering. (Listening on the puter here:rolleyes: )
..... I just read that back to myself... Is a suggestion like that worth printing? :rolleyes: :D

Just fantastic stuff here man... ....from both of you

Big Pat-Pat coming from me
gw/5

Back