"Taken" with Pedullist on the bass

SLuiCe

Pedullist has given me the order and authority to post this for review, after several scuffles with track alignment issues, all my fault as usual. But today I stayed sober and figured out that little problem, so please let us know how the mix is. Having his real bass track really gave me a better perspective on the rest of the mix too. because it is, naturally, so much more alive than a keyboard bass. Now whether or not my mix is good is of course the question.

I think the interesting part of this is how we did it. He asked me to send a Cakewalk file (.cwp) of the bass part so he could read what i had written for it. Then he played that part virtually note-for-note, but with his own style and feel. From there he sent me a 192k MP3 for me to mix in. I admire his skill and ambition. Very much so. And the speed at which he works is efficient as well, so communication is smooth and progress is more easily guaged.

Anyway, I thought that might be helpful info for the evolution of our collaborations.

Thanks a ton!
Tom (Shields up :) )

Taken

Ok the timing couldn't be better. Yeah it looks like Jack Skeleton is back in action. The percussion in this one is putting this totally into a theatrical realm for me. Arrangement and writing are stellar and i like the feeling not just the lyrics are telling a story but the music itself is telling the same thing in parallel. Great job on the bass Ped this must've been a kick to work on.

KIDNAP MR. SANTY CLAWz!!!! AAAAaaaAArrGGGH!!!!

I'm going to enjoy the videos that get made to go along with these. or movies. right? right?

Hey Khomp...thanks a lot man. Actually my girlfriend is a former film student. We are definitely going to put some of this stuff to video of some sort some time soon. She has a nice Canon DV camera and some good software and we'll just need to learn how to use it well. Should be fun though! Trick will be deciding which song to start with. This one has some visuals to play off, but so does Feathers and Bones and others, so we'll see. You got me wound up now...
Thanks man.

Oh ya... I wanna do it. Let's draw straws. :)

Sure sure sure, just don't forget to toss some work my way.

I am absolutely positive i could be a good grip or best boy or gaffer or something like that.

you erased the acapella thread?!!:mad: ------> I totally knew you were gonna do that.

I'll hit this later..

B.SABBATH said:
you erased the acapella thread?!!:mad: ------> I totally knew you were gonna do that.

I thought to myself... OK, I really don't like this afterall. What would Sam do in my shoes?

;)

This is insanely good, as usual. Creatively, conceptually, and execution top notch. I'm not kissing ass, I just can't find anything to criticize. Honest!

Twist

Complex stuff, great! Excellent playing.

This is perfect, can't find any fault worth mentioning.

Smooth, ultra tight, and clean guys. I hated to see it end. Loved the sound of that acoustic being worked like it was. Ped, you got a warmer smoother tone on this one, sounds good. Enjoyed the story...

Yeah, this could definitely fit right into Nightmare Before Christmas.... now that I've made that connection I'm hearing it in all your stuff.:)

I could use a little more bass definition on this one. I want more volume on what Pedullist is playing and I want a little less mud so I can really hear it clearly.

Did you re-track some vox on this, or am I remembering wrong?

Chris

Twist- Thanks brotha!

Emerica- Thanks to you too!

Toki- Good deal.. Glad it sounds good. The acoustic part is a lot of fun to play, especially in the middle. Lots of finger spreading and neat little accents. Pedullists bass sounds is really good IMO. I just boosted a little 125 to fatten it a bit. He played a really tight part.

groucho- you're hearing mud, eh? Hmmm...I'll see if I hear it on other systems. Could be that 2dB boost at 125Hz. Sounds pretty clear on the monitors, but they can be deceiving too.
I re-tracked one 2 second vocal line that had a pop in it. And I added a light harmony in the chorus. Everything else was just remixed. As for Nightmare, etc... My shit has been called Pink Floyd, Tool, Tull, Tom Waits, and about 100 other artists (literally) since I started posting. Some threads I get 5 or 6 completely different genres of bands thrown at me. My girlfriend says it's just what people do and not to worry about it. I can't tell if you liked this or not, but thanks for taking the time either way. I'll definitely look into the bass definition issue. Thanks a lot Chris.

Heh, I was kinda distracted while I wrote those last comments (I'm mixing one of mine right now) so I forgot to mention

I LOVE THIS FUCKING SONG!

(okay, now do you know how I feel about it?):)

And re: the inevitable comparisons to others, etc. I don't think you need to worry about not having your own sound. I hear other people in yer stuff, but you always sound like you. The thing is, I listen to so much music that I hear someone else in nearly everybody. But there's nothing wrong with that - we're all drinking from the same cup, more or less.

What matters is how you spit it back.

Chris

Very interesting and progressive song. The song was tight. I didnt care for the rim shot sound. I thought the acoustic gtr got buried in the mix at times but not to noticable. Picky I know cause I cant find much wrong. Some great playing and singing all the way around.
Myx

the acoustic tone on this one really does it for me on this one........amazing

nice fat bass tone......it gives good room to the guits while still being a key factor..............

great vocals!

I've been comparing this one to your last one for a little while now. I like the bass in this one far better than the other...way more feeling..thinking a little more "presence" wouldn't hurt though. The acoustic sounded a shade better in your first mix to me..in the intro especially. Did you use the same verb's and effects on this one? All in all though this is a killer tune, and Ped even made it sound better.

David

Absolutely great!!

Playing tune the whole thing.

Stellar recording too!!

GT

Sluice,

I like this a lot. Great piece of work. I think Groucho was on to something there. Danny Elfman is one of my favorite songwriters and very underappreciated for it. I think I hear the influence. No Oingo Boingo for you? Just curious.

Justin

Damn good tune and recording. Hat's off to you both, Sluice & Ped! Nice performances.

Love the sound of the mix.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by B.SABBATH
you erased the acapella thread?!! ------> I totally knew you were gonna do that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hah! Sluice, as in the pm I sent ya. Confidence! Hope you put that back up and keep expanding your horizons.

~scott

Back