'Take It All' - brand new tracks, and uses the Peavey Mini Colossal

GONZO-X

http://********.com/songs.aspx?SongID=47722&ArtistID=30211

or

http://tinyurl.com/2n6zb5

.....this is a completely new mix, different from the "Trouble" album release.
completely re-mixed, with new guitar tracks and bass track.

all guitars were tracked thu the Peavey JSX Mini Colossal.
bass was tracked thru the mini as well.

all guitars and bass were run direct from the recording out of the mini, to a A Designs Audio MP-1, to a ART DPS convertor, and into Sonar via a Maudio 24/96 card in digital.

drums were re-mixed from scratch, with aggressive eq, compression, and select reverb on the overheads, snare and kick.

:D

this project was taken on, as a direct result of some excellent interactions AND suggestions about my mix and tracking on this from some of the forum memebers here...

i was never happy with this one mix on the album...
i decided to re-do it, and track it and mix it in sonar, using drum tracks and vocal tracks originally recorded with the VS-1880 and VS-2480.

i'm not done with it yet, but i wanted to share my results to date, and get feedback on it, since this is a big learning curve for me.

it also showcases the Peavey Jsx Mini Colossal, which i reviewed previously, and offered sample recordings of.
now, you can hear it in a mix context, instead of alone.

the Barber Direct Drive SS pedal, was used to push the front end of the Mini (which was set on a nice crunchy breakup, but no sustain).
all guitars were recorded direct.
The Carvin DC200K was used for all rhythms, and a custom strat was used for the solos.

as this is a work in progress, i'd love some feedback on how this mix translates to other systems...

Some of the lines in the intro have a Brian May quality - nice to hear.
Listening on h/phones the bass occasionally gets swamped - might need a definig moment or two.
Does the vocalist soundlike the singer from Starcastle or Gentle Giant?
There's a very strong link to 70's prog in this song - top job!

Man, I remember the last mix you did of this tune. It was a little muddy in the low end. This one is WAY better. Bottom end is nice and tight. Highs are clear and precise without being ear-splitting. All the guitars are clear and present. Drums sound perfect and the vox fall right in. Sounds pro. Great job. :)

rayc

ah, brian may.
i dig his stuff.....
yep, agree with the bass..

i started an entirely new and fresh mix on this saturday...

i also recorded a brand new bass line, using a different signal path than the Mini (that amp is voiced only for guitar.. the bass just does not translate thru it... so i used my Sansamp Bass DI, into a tube mic pre, dbx compressor, convertor, and into sonar.. sounds much better!)

i'll post the new mix tomorrow.....
my vox have never been compared to starcastle or GG before..... but i'll take it!!
LOL

gregL
yep, this one is an improvement for sure....

and, the thing is, with this new mix i haven't posted yet, i started with the drums..... really experimented a lot... and found a great combination of compression and room reverbs on all the different pieces, that really seemed to glue it all together.... especially with the overheads..... it took a long time to find the right attack, release, and slope/threshold to get it smoother than the raw tracks had them....

so i started with the drums, brought the new bass track up and blended right, then brough the vox in where they sat just right, THEN added the guitars into it, which is not the way i usually mix.

i think that way makes more sense for songs that feature vox over instrumentals...

but starting with the drums, made me concentrate more on trying to bring out as much power on the drums as i can with the tracks i had to use.

another hurdle for me, learning how to mix.

thanks for all the comments!

Love the solo. The accoustic guitar sounds great. Two thumbs up to vocal performance, I'd bring them up a little bit. It sounds to me like they're not standing out enough.

I don't know what exactly it is, but it seems a little damp maybe? Like everything is in a little too low of a frequency. I'd brighten up the snare and rhythm guitar a little bit. This thing you've got going may be what you were aiming for though.

I think the bass sounds good. I don't think bass should stick out in this type of music. If it was Zeppelin or Hendrix, you'd need that driving bass, but this is something completely different -- fits in good.

Another quality mix from Gonzo.

I always thought Greg_L was the only master on here.

I wanna give you guys the same 5 tracks, and you two should have a mix-off.:D

thanks zip!

yep, gonna re-mix to get it a bit brighter, a bit more in the face, and get the drums front and center.....

i'm almost done with the last version....

Back