'take it all' - brand new mix

GONZO-X

'take it all' - brand new mix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=661726

for those of you who know the 'Trouble' cd, you know this is the 2nd song on the album.

i was never happy with this particular mix....

so i cracked the proprietary roland backup data (thanks to bear, danielo and funky and company), ripped it to wav files with reaper, dumped it into sonar, and took a new stab at it.

since i'm working with a new platform, and have a new setup for my monitoring, i'm still trying to find me sea legs.
LOL

this mix, is so different than the original mix on the 'trouble' album....

and everything is mixed bone dry, except a light ambient reverb on the snare drum.
no effects on anything.

i was able to mix the drums hotter than on the album, plus i did track level and panning automation, which allowed me to ride the snare and bring it out like i couldn't when i manually mixed the album....

this was mastered at fairly low volumes.... tell me what you can, about where i'm at with the mix, will ya?

Sounds pretty good overall. There seems to be low some slight muddiness across the low end. Bass is kinda "boomy". Vocals and guitars sound great, but they're kinda getting caught up in the mud a little during the palm mutes. Tighten up the bottom end and this mix will fall into place. :)

Man, nothing really jumps out at me. The low end might be a bit boomy like Greg said, but that's hard to judge on the speakers I'm sitting in front of now.
Sounds great!

yep, both you guys are right!!
LOL

listened to it in the car this morning, too boomy.

last night in the monitors, sounded good...

but what i'm finding is, when i mix it to my monitors (little KRK's) and mix the bass where i think it's kicking, it's too much......

and when i mix it where it sounds a bit light in the bottom, it apparently is closer than this mix is

i've definitlely got low end energy happening, that isn't coming across in the monitors....

i gotta figure this one out.

i have some high pass at about 30hz......

but i've got a lot of boost around 100hz, and 220hz......

so, my guess is, raise the high pass a bit, and don't pump it at 100 and 220, and the volume is probably still good to go..........?

well, i don't HATE it, per se..

the version on the album....it works, and sounds fine.

it just wasn't the mix i would have wanted in a PERFECT WORLD.

:D

all the other mixes sounded so good, but this one, i just never nailed.

as it is, i'm closer now, but i'm gonna fix that bass issue tonight, and re-post tomorrow.

Back