Tabla + Analog Synth = Cool

Beezoboy

Home Recording Guru
Hey I have been working on this song and am taking a break from it until after Xmas. I have had some cool samples of old analog synth sounds for a while and have been dying to use them. Most of these sound like a DX7.

Then one day my friend picked up a big pickle jar that we use for tips when we play free stuff and was playing around with it. He played the bottom of it and put his hand in it and it made cool sounds like a tabla drum. I thought "interesting."

So I took my 441 at like 2 in the morning one night and stuck it really close to the end of the jar and started playing it. I got the sound that starts this song after pitch shifting down a major 2nd and and adding some reverb.

Beezoboy

*Yes that is really a pickle jar*

A big ol' plastic pickle jar? Or glass? A pretty cool piece of music but my favorite thing is that damn pickle jar. That's a very cool sound. I love tablas or anything that sounds like them. I'll be trying this soon. ;)

Wow. Fantastic tabla sound, rich recording, great playing.

I think this has serious potential. The opening bars with the sitar samples and sweeping synth tone really grabbed me, to be honest I was blown away.

However, and this is my VERY humble opinion, the track dies a little when the breakbeat kicks in. It feels a bit tired, low in the mix and the layering of the snare and clap doesnt have enough punch for my ears. And the way it cuts off that great synth sweep is a bit sudden.

Also the pad riff is a bit 'happy-jolly' and pedestrian and doesn't match the bubbling darkness of the opening, though it is rescued a bit when you reintroduce those wicked sitar melodies later on.

Please take this as positive feedback (I only throw in my tuppence when i really like something) - I really believe you've got something here. If you dont, maybe I could licence the samples off you and give it a crack myself? :D

Thanks for the listen.
Klytus

Klytus
You're the second person that wants to sample my stuff. I let another guy hear this here where I live and he is really wanting to get that sweep from me. Man most of the sounds except for the bottle are from a soundfont called "Vintage Dreams." I have played with some of them to make them sound better, but they are really good Analog Synth sounds. And it is only 300k for all of them. If you want I'll e-mail it to you, that is, if you can play soundfonts.

Oh yeah. As far as the song goes, I am going to get a girl to do some sort of East Indian sounding vocal thing. Then maybe get a black girl to do a diva sounding singing thing on it too. I am kind of going for a corporate Moby type sound with this song, because I have to play it and have it graded in school. Thanks for the reply though!

Lt Bob
It is a big ol' glass pickle jar. Like the kind you see boiled eggs, and those big dill pickles in. This one I am using was a Mt. Olive Dill Pickle Jar. Make sure the rim is big enough so that you can get your hand in it. That is what gives it all the cool sounds. Thanks for the reply. Bob, have you ever heard of Tabla Beat Science? If not look on the web, they are a group of Tabla percussionists that are awesome. I think their CD is called Tala Matrix? Oh and great job on "What child is this." Very nice sax playing indeed!

Beezoboy

Hey Beezo,

To me this sounded unfinished, like a work in progress. But what you've got so far is very cool. I like your idea for the vocals- that may be all it needs. One of those South African Peter Gabriel style (In Your Eyes) vocals would sound cool too.

Twist

Beezo,

I'm not familiar with soundfonts - aren't they those things Creative used to sell with their Soundblaster cards a few years back? If not, what are they and how'd you use them?

I mostly work with wavs and reason refills, perhaps I'm missing out?

Damn, wish we had monster pickle jars in the UK :mad:

Klytus

Yes you are exactly right. Soundfonts are about the only reason to own a creative card. But there are a lot of them out there that are good for free. So thats why I use them.

A soundblaster card that can do soundfonts is only like 50 US dollars, so why not. Also you can get some pretty good drum samples for it. How many GOOD drum machines do you know of for 50 dollars?

TWIST - Yes this is unfinished, I just wanted to post what I had.

Beezoboy

hey Beezoboy

Theres a post by Evolution2000 in the Visitor Feedback section asking for a dedicated sampling forum.

It would be a great place to discuss this kind of stuff and for guys with loads of wavs, sounfonts etc. kicking around in their libraries to exchange samples. That would be great, don't you think?

BTW I have some drum samples in wav format that you could try dropping over the top of your beat to beef it up some - when i get back to the UK (23rd Dec) i could send em to you if you want.

Oh and you're right about drum machines for $50 - I use Native Instruments' Battery which goes for about $100 i think.
Klytus

Yes I would love to see a Sampling Forum. I really don't do that much sampling, but I would like to have access to some really good samples when I need them. And, like you said, that would allow users to trade some really good ones.

As far as the drum wavs, I don't know. I am going for an overprocessed drum sound I think. It really has to be something that will cut through that mix as it is kind of dense. The snare sounds a little harsh in the beggining, but as the rest of the music comes in, you hardly notice it anymore in my opinion.

I'll sign on on if there is a petition for a Sapmpling Forum
Beezoboy

Beezoboy said:
Hey I have been working on this song and am taking a break from it until after Xmas. I have had some cool samples of old analog synth sounds for a while and have been dying to use them. Most of these sound like a DX7.

Then one day my friend picked up a big pickle jar that we use for tips when we play free stuff and was playing around with it. He played the bottom of it and put his hand in it and it made cool sounds like a tabla drum. I thought "interesting."

So I took my 441 at like 2 in the morning one night and stuck it really close to the end of the jar and started playing it. I got the sound that starts this song after pitch shifting down a major 2nd and and adding some reverb.

Beezoboy

*Yes that is really a pickle jar*

Wow, that sounds pretty good. I think it's a little too clicky and lacks some of the tabla's "natural" sound, but for a pickle jar, :eek:

On a side note, I can't wait to get some good sounding mics and record my tablas. They're just sitting there waiting to be recorded.

Since I'm a total newbie, what kind of synth sounds did you use to get that sitar sound. Sounds like a ring modulator on there somewhere. I really like the initial drone you have going there that pans around. I love that kind of trippy stuff.

All I'm getting is Quicktime's logo so maybe you're working on it some more or something...

It's very cool to me that you're experimenting with very stuff around the house to record. I did a song a couple months ago called "Feathers and Bones" where I stereo miced (Oktava 012's) some pots and pans, along side two stereo tracks of hand claps...and I loved the sound, the tracks became the sole percussion for the first half of the song. Click the "www" below if you wanna check it out...

I'm looking for some new percussion soundfonts. I like the drum sounds I get from the Korg Triton, but variety is the spice of life (though I never say that to my girlfriend :eek: ) and I'm bored with my drum sounds.

So is there something wrong with this link now or what? Now that I've babbled all that, I'd like to hear it :)

No there is nothing wrong with the link. Do you have Windows Media Player? If so go to Tools -->Options and then click on the file types tab. Select All and then hit Apply. That should let you hear my song. If not, then just right click on it and download it. If you are on a Mac hold down shift and click on it. It should let you download it to your hard drive.

It is an mp3 so it will play on anything I think. I assure you that the link is good though. Hey I am going to check out you Pots and Pans song right after I post this and I'll let you know what I think.

Ok I listened and am editing this post now. Wow man thats cool. A bit strange, but very cool. Is that a cowbell or a pan that I hear also? Powerful sounds at the end too. Nice job! Ok Sluice, I just listened to Look Away too. Damn thats a good song man. That is way cool. Lt Bob sure has some Sax chops huh?? Wow. Once again, very nice work!!

Hugh Jazz - I have used soundfonts for all of it. The drone that pans around is something I sampled from what I think is a DX7 patch called Monster Stack Lead. After you hit the note when the envelope has triggered and is over it leaves a cool drone that keeps on until you let of the key. I then used cool edit pro and messed with it to make that sound you hear. There are no synths or anything I use my computer keyboard to play all the stuff as the controller because I am to lazy to hook up my old yamaha psr320 as the controller.

Beezoboy

Last edited:
Ya I was trying to listen to it on my girlfriend's computer downstairs. Got it no problem on mine...took about 6 seconds to download.

Ya this is great man. I hear spoken word with background free style singing going on. Cool vibe that begs for elaboration. Nice job!

I don't know about spoken word, but I am definately looking forward to getting a couple female vocalists on this thing. Who knows I might even through some pans on there too!!

Beezoboy

Beezboy,
this is very cool sounding stuff..........i don't even know what you'd call it...........my pc speaker are having a little trouble handling the heavy bass tones, but i think that problem is on my end........nice and creative.....

Welcome the the Recyling Bin Orchestra,Wow what a great sound,I'll be digging thru the WRAP can for for 5 cent deposits and new and exciting percussive 'gear'.Is that a looped sample or did you jam that jar live thru the whole tune.I really enjoyed this one dude,sound great thru headphones

Back