Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tabla + Analog Synth = Cool

Thanks

Tabla + Analog Synth = Cool

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey I have been working on this song and am taking a break from it until after Xmas. I have had some cool samples of old analog synth sounds for a while and have been dying to use them. Most of these sound like a DX7.

Then one day my friend picked up a big pickle jar that we use for tips when we play free stuff and was playing around with it. He played the bottom of it and put his hand in it and it made cool sounds like a tabla drum. I thought "interesting."

So I took my 441 at like 2 in the morning one night and stuck it really close to the end of the jar and started playing it. I got the sound that starts this song after pitch shifting down a major 2nd and and adding some reverb.

www.elohsa.com/songs/Tabla.mp3

Beezoboy

*Yes that is really a pickle jar*

Thanks
    A big ol' plastic pickle jar? Or glass? A pretty cool piece of music but my favorite thing is that damn pickle jar. That's a very cool sound. I love tablas or anything that sounds like them. I'll be trying this soon.

Thanks
    Wow. Fantastic tabla sound, rich recording, great playing.

I think this has serious potential. The opening bars with the sitar samples and sweeping synth tone really grabbed me, to be honest I was blown away.

However, and this is my VERY humble opinion, the track dies a little when the breakbeat kicks in. It feels a bit tired, low in the mix and the layering of the snare and clap doesnt have enough punch for my ears. And the way it cuts off that great synth sweep is a bit sudden.

Also the pad riff is a bit 'happy-jolly' and pedestrian and doesn't match the bubbling darkness of the opening, though it is rescued a bit when you reintroduce those wicked sitar melodies later on.

Please take this as positive feedback (I only throw in my tuppence when i really like something) - I really believe you've got something here. If you dont, maybe I could licence the samples off you and give it a crack myself?

Thanks for the listen.
    Klytus

Thanks
    Klytus
    You're the second person that wants to sample my stuff. I let another guy hear this here where I live and he is really wanting to get that sweep from me. Man most of the sounds except for the bottle are from a soundfont called "Vintage Dreams." I have played with some of them to make them sound better, but they are really good Analog Synth sounds. And it is only 300k for all of them. If you want I'll e-mail it to you, that is, if you can play soundfonts.

Oh yeah. As far as the song goes, I am going to get a girl to do some sort of East Indian sounding vocal thing. Then maybe get a black girl to do a diva sounding singing thing on it too. I am kind of going for a corporate Moby type sound with this song, because I have to play it and have it graded in school. Thanks for the reply though!

Lt Bob
    It is a big ol' glass pickle jar. Like the kind you see boiled eggs, and those big dill pickles in. This one I am using was a Mt. Olive Dill Pickle Jar. Make sure the rim is big enough so that you can get your hand in it. That is what gives it all the cool sounds. Thanks for the reply. Bob, have you ever heard of Tabla Beat Science? If not look on the web, they are a group of Tabla percussionists that are awesome. I think their CD is called Tala Matrix? Oh and great job on "What child is this." Very nice sax playing indeed!

Beezoboy

Thanks
    Hey Beezo,

To me this sounded unfinished, like a work in progress. But what you've got so far is very cool. I like your idea for the vocals- that may be all it needs. One of those South African Peter Gabriel style (In Your Eyes) vocals would sound cool too.

Twist

Thanks
    Very interesting. Some harmony vocals would would work very well, so would a soprano sax.
    My website
    [url]http://www.solowayguitars.com[/url]

Thanks

Smile

Beezo,

I'm not familiar with soundfonts - aren't they those things Creative used to sell with their Soundblaster cards a few years back? If not, what are they and how'd you use them?

I mostly work with wavs and reason refills, perhaps I'm missing out?

Damn, wish we had monster pickle jars in the UK

Klytus

Thanks
    Yes you are exactly right. Soundfonts are about the only reason to own a creative card. But there are a lot of them out there that are good for free. So thats why I use them.

A soundblaster card that can do soundfonts is only like 50 US dollars, so why not. Also you can get some pretty good drum samples for it. How many GOOD drum machines do you know of for 50 dollars?

TWIST - Yes this is unfinished, I just wanted to post what I had.

Beezoboy

Thanks
    4 thumbs up for creativity!!.

I liked it too.

Thanks
    hey Beezoboy

Theres a post by Evolution2000 in the Visitor Feedback section asking for a dedicated sampling forum.

It would be a great place to discuss this kind of stuff and for guys with loads of wavs, sounfonts etc. kicking around in their libraries to exchange samples. That would be great, don't you think?

BTW I have some drum samples in wav format that you could try dropping over the top of your beat to beef it up some - when i get back to the UK (23rd Dec) i could send em to you if you want.

Oh and you're right about drum machines for $50 - I use Native Instruments' Battery which goes for about $100 i think.
    Klytus

Thread Information