Sweetest Friend

I like the song dude. The vocals seem a bit upfront at the start, when it's just them and the guitar. After the music kicks in, they sit much better. If you went for that effect, then cool. Nothing bad, just a bit prominent at the beginning. Nice sounds in the music. To me, the ride cymbal came out really well. It just sits there, without being distracting, yet I can hear it through the tune. Actually, all the drums seem to sit well. The dudes voice is cool. Has just enough rasp in it to make the tune cool. Listening again......

The first part isn't bad, mind you, just a small nit if I could pick anything out to pick on....Other than that, cool tune man...I like it. It's got a nice vibe to it....mellow, but has some punch to it when necessary......
Ed

First, Lurgan...is that you singing? Whomever is, they have a sweet sweet voice.

Is MY BAND..your band??? :D

The piano piece sends chills down my spine.

I love the riding cymbal...

This song is so beautiful Eamon.

Glad to have you back around...

EXCELLENT!!! :)

I must listen again!!!

true-eurt said:
First, Lurgan...is that you singing? Whomever is, they have a sweet sweet voice.

Is MY BAND..your band??? :D

The piano piece sends chills down my spine.

I love the riding cymbal...

This song is so beautiful Eamon.

Glad to have you back around...

EXCELLENT!!! :)

I must listen again!!!

Thanks True ... Yes this is my band ... Thats not me singing though ...I'm on keys :)

Heres what (if i were mixing it) would work on.

The vox...
That brightness on the vocal is too much.
Set up a stereo aux with stereo reverb on it, and send your vox to to that...blend the wet with the dry. Id guess that this type of vox would sound good with a warm plate.
Also toss on a HF deesser before the vox hits thee verb to kill tthe verby essy stuff.

The bass...
The bass could use some compmession and/or fattening on the low end (40-90hz).
If youve got one, use the "C4" multiband compressor for that task.

By "sending" a tiny bit of everything to that 1 reverb you can tie this mix into one room.
Therefore translating thee mix better as a whole.

All else is quite well and fine imo.

xfinsterx said:
Heres what (if i were mixing it) would work on.

The vox...
That brightness on the vocal is too much.
Set up a stereo aux with stereo reverb on it, and send your vox to to that...blend the wet with the dry. Id guess that this type of vox would sound good with a warm plate.
Also toss on a HF deesser before the vox hits thee verb to kill tthe verby essy stuff.

The bass...
The bass could use some compmession and/or fattening on the low end (40-90hz).
If youve got one, use the "C4" multiband compressor for that task.

By "sending" a tiny bit of everything to that 1 reverb you can tie this mix into one room.
Therefore translating thee mix better as a whole.

All else is quite well and fine imo.

Cool i'll try that tomorrow Finster ... Thanks for the tips ... So i just need to fatten up the bass ...

Then i send a bit of everything to that warm plate reverb?

I have the drums subgrouped to their own revereb at the minute ...do you think i should send everything to the same reverb?

Cool you've got me thinking now ...Thanks finster

I like the song. The overall balance is good.

The vocals are really bright. It is easy to go overboard on the highs when mixing this kind of voice.

The overheads are much louder than I am used to, but I tend to do much different stuff.

There is a definite lack of lows. If you can get that together, you've got yourself a mix.

Excellent ...the more you guys mention the lack of lows ... i can really notice it now myself ...

Is there any order in which i should add eq, compression, reverb, de esser to the vocals ... ???

This is how i mixed the vocals ...

I compressed them first ...then eq'ed them ...i think i rolled off the low end to about 100hz and pushed the high end a bit ... then i added a medium plate True Verb ....

lurgan liar said:
Excellent ...the more you guys mention the lack of lows ... i can really notice it now myself ...

Is there any order in which i should add eq, compression, reverb, de esser to the vocals ... ???

This is how i mixed the vocals ...

I compressed them first ...then eq'ed them ...i think i rolled off the low end to about 100hz and pushed the high end a bit ... then i added a medium plate True Verb ....

Eq, Compress, Deess, reverb send, then blend the two....(make sure youre send is set to "pre-fader")

About the multiband on bass......
Bypass the other bands except the lowest one.
Then turn off the arc.
Then smack it down with thee threshold and dip the range down so you can really squish it.
Try and attack of 100 to 200 ms.
And a release of 2000 ms. (2 seconds)
Then boost the "gain" so the signal is riding around zero.

That oughta fatten your mix up nicely.
If it s sounds muddy then compress from 5hz to 60hz only.

And........have a nice day :D

Hey, nice to hear you back with your great song.

Something really weird going on with those vocals and EQ. But my ears don't sound right at the moment after days and days of mixing my own muddy concoctions.

Heaps to learn. Enjoy tinkering. But gotta watch you don't lose the song. As my woman often tells me after I spend 2 months working on something: "It doesn't have the energy you had in the original demo". And she's usually right.

Sitting right here on my hard disk is your original living-room version of this song that you sent in to that contest (which I voted for coz it was the best). And, you know that version is so nerve jingling -- noise, and distorted vox and all. It has a presence that this song deserves. So, whatever you do, make sure you retain that vibe.

Have fun
aspiring

Hey LurganLiar.....are you gonna let the rest of the band hear the song yet already??!!!! haha

(PS....that be me strumming away on the acoustic guitar.....)

I think it's sounding better man. You might bring the vox up a bit when the music kicks in. They get hidden a little. Sounding nice though....

Lurgan Liar, I think the vocal bit you took out (where the singer comes in just after the solo at the bridge type bit) should maybe just be slipped back in there!!! lol....keep that piano solo running under the vocals though at the bridge part. Its sweet.

Back