"Sweet Marguerita" by "Who We Are"

K-dub

Covid slowed us down, and we've been trying to wrap up our new collection of original material in fits and starts ... but slowly/gradually we're ticking off the remaining parts needing finishing.

This one needs a slide guitar in the opening still, but our guitarist disassembled his recording rig and hasn't put it back together yet. He still won't get together to record, even though in the good weather, I've been setting up the recording process outside. If you hear any birds in the vocals, that's why. :D

Hope all is well w/ folks on the board. Stay safe out there!

K-

Last edited:
Nice space in this. Good verbs and delays. Pretty vocal and vocal harmonies. Vocals are a bit loud compared with the backing tracks. I think the bass could come up a little or maybe just boost the top end a bit - you could also send it to a bus and pitch shift it up an octave, but keep the bus volume low overall just so there's a little more of the notes coming through. I'd be curious to hear this with the guitar double tracked as well, especially the solo.

Nice space in this. Good verbs and delays. Pretty vocal and vocal harmonies. Vocals are a bit loud compared with the backing tracks. I think the bass could come up a little or maybe just boost the top end a bit - you could also send it to a bus and pitch shift it up an octave, but keep the bus volume low overall just so there's a little more of the notes coming through. I'd be curious to hear this with the guitar double tracked as well, especially the solo.

Awesome thoughts. I will look into making that happen. It's just the ear candy production concepts that I was looking for. Thanks GRN!

Spelling corrected in the filename. Employed suggestions made by GRN. Original file left for comparison.

Sounds a lot fuller and well balanced! This kind of song would definitely go over well in my neck of the woods, especially live.

Sounds a lot fuller and well balanced! This kind of song would definitely go over well in my neck of the woods, especially live.

Glad you like the changes. I took your suggestions and focused on the ear candy. I dropped the BGVs back into the pocket, brought the kick and snare forward more, added two plugs in aux buss for the bass (with highlights on the upper frequencies) and blended them in. I then duped the guitar lead sections, sending the part to another buss, blended with completely different EQ and effects, and panned it to the other side ... which has the impact of bringing the lead "more center" during the sections while "sounding doubled" due to the alternate treatment from the original part.

Great thoughts, GRN, thanks again. We actually sound exactly like this live. :D

Nice tune, I'd leave the lead vocal at that level but I'd HPF a bit higher. If your at 100 try 150 or 200. To much low end on the bass for me in the second version. The level is fine but I'd cut 2-3db at 75hz. Everything else sounds good to me Nice Job.!!!

Nice tune, I'd leave the lead vocal at that level but I'd HPF a bit higher. If your at 100 try 150 or 200. To much low end on the bass for me in the second version. The level is fine but I'd cut 2-3db at 75hz. Everything else sounds good to me Nice Job.!!!

Good thoughts, PDP! I will experiment with what you suggest. Thank you!!

I think it sounds great. Only thing I have is when the background vocals are going on the lead vocal is a little buried. Not bad just a slight bit.

Snare's got a great tone and weight. Everything sounds spot on to me on headphones Kev. Nice job

Hey Kiernan! Thanks for checking in,bud. I do think, with some of the suggestions from folks still left to tweak, that I'm in the right neighborhood. Hope all is well and you're weathering the pandemic comfortably!

I use a Blue Encore 100 for the snare mic. It was a tip from a sound man (top level) I've known for years that I learned. I prefer it over an SM57.

Finally back behind the console in CT. I've attended to the suggestions (hopefully appropriately), and new mix is in the OP.

Back