Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sweet, Cure-y, and Overdubbed Drums Galore

Thanks

Sweet, Cure-y, and Overdubbed Drums Galore

Sign in to disable this ad
    You all were so helpful with my last tune, I thought I'd better post this ASAP:

http://www.cominginsecond.com/swoon.mp3

I did the drums in kind of an odd way. I set up my stereo overheads and snare mic. Played the first part heavily on the hi-hat, and then overdubbed a part that emphasized the ride cymbal. I panned the hi-hat part to the left and the ride part to the right. Then I overdubbed kick drum with a keyboard. Then I overdubbed the pseudo Latin tom sections in the middle with a mono Rode overhead and a close mic'd 57. Then I overdubbed the big crash cymbal in the chorus later with an ECM8000. So, basically, where real drummers can play a song in one pass, fake drummers can fake their way through it through the magic of overdubbing.

Tell me what you think.

Oh, and turn up the volume a little bit for optimum analysis. It's not a very loud song yet.

Thanks
    Not so curish.
    The mix is kind of uh...spinney. It seems to be sorta live feeling but with some confused sonics involved. A bit too midrangey but that's not all...it's clear but crowded.

The feel is nothing like the cure just that one synth.

Thanks
    This song really reminded me of "Caterpillar" that's why I said it was Cure-y.

Thanks for your comments.

Thanks
    Originally posted by jake-owa
    Not so curish.
    The mix is kind of uh...spinney. It seems to be sorta live feeling but with some confused sonics involved. A bit too midrangey but that's not all...it's clear but crowded.

The feel is nothing like the cure just that one synth.
    That busy, busy drumming is definitely what I was going for. What do you mean by "confused sonics"? The automated panning?

Thanks
    Turn your vocal up. I like the background airy vox a lot. Actually, the vocal level seems okay in the chorus. Okay, that wood block sound, that's a good level for the guitars, I think...lol...I'm not helping, I'm sure.

I don't like those drums so far away sounding, but it fits the mix.

I honestly don't think I can be very helpful, because it's just a different KIND of mix you're going for, I think. If it were me, I'd try to figure out a way to reverse the EQ between the midrange and the low end. It's got too many low mids for my taste too.

I'm liking your voice more everytime I hear it. So, did/do you listen to The Smiths?

Thanks
    Not the Cure, even caterpillar, but very English and pretty cool.

I liked it a lot. I even liked the drums the way they were - except that crash/splash cymbal throughout.

I liked the vocals a lot too.

Nice work!

Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisharris
    If it were me, I'd try to figure out a way to reverse the EQ between the midrange and the low end. It's got too many low mids for my taste too.

Yeah, I needs more low end. If it had that I think it would sound less mid-rangey.

I'm liking your voice more everytime I hear it. So, did/do you listen to The Smiths?

Until a couple of years ago, they were my favorite band, and people always say that my voice is Morrissey-ish. I can't hear it, though. It must have subconsciously sunk in or something.
    Thanks for your comments. It confirms what I was already thinking to some extent.

Thanks
    I have a better version of this song at the following URL:

http://www.cominginsecond.com/Swoon2.mp3

The bass and kick drum are higher, and I think this substantially improves the overall frequency balance of the song.

I have not included the fade at the end like I did with the other version. So, around the three minute mark begin gradually pulling down the volume in your MP3 player until around 3:30. It'll be good practice for you next mixing session.

Thanks
    The second link wasn't working, but I listened to the first.

I really like your stuff. You have interesting arrangements on solid songs. On this one I feel like the drums dominate the mix and get in the way of all the other interesting stuff going on. I think you have plenty of room to bring them down and still have a very drum/percussion oriented tune.

If you can improve this like you improved the last one, it's gonna be great!

Thanks
    Oops sorry. I didn't know URLs could be case-sensitive.

http://www.cominginsecond.com/swoon2.mp3

Thread Information