Sweet Addiction - Feedback Please

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Here's a newer tune that I just finished working on. It's another one that I added Mike's bass to and mixed down. I used the advice from the previous mix on this, so I'm hoping it worked out, balance and tone wise.

Here's the link to the song page.

Sweet Addiction

Any comments, opinions, feedback on anything would be greatly appreciated.

:D:):D:)

I can't really comment on the mix because I listening on cheap speakers, but I like the song. It has a cool vibe and the lyrics are good too.

Another spacious production...you're good at that :)

Everything's tight and I personally like the vocals quite a bit. I didn't understand a single word of about the first two lines, the rest I heard. But the vox have a nice quality...the tone or the space or reverb or something. Quite good I thought.

Try to bring up the power guitar up and do a bit more stereo expansion. I think that might widen up the music a bit...

Actually listening through a second time I think I hear two power guitars in the back ground one panned a bit left and other a bit right - unless you had some cool rolling pan effect (but I think I hear two guitars playing). The solo guitar was a third guitar mostly centered.

In this case bring all three guitars up a bit, expand stereo on the two power guitars in the background, and make the solo guitar yet a tad louder during solo and bring it down when voice comes back (will give more room for voice). A bit of ambiance on solo guitar wont hurt. Leave bass as it is.

Vocal is awesome! Be careful not to overdo bringing volume up a bit and definitely go easy on stereo expansion (easy to overdo and make sound more wishy-washy).

Just my two cents...

Great tune!!

I can't really comment on the mix because I listening on cheap speakers, but I like the song. It has a cool vibe and the lyrics are good too.
Thanks patlang - A good vibe is a good thing :D
Another spacious production...you're good at that :)

Everything's tight and I personally like the vocals quite a bit. I didn't understand a single word of about the first two lines, the rest I heard. But the vox have a nice quality...the tone or the space or reverb or something. Quite good I thought.
Thanks Mr Allen - The vocals are recorded through an NTK mic, mixed down with some reverb from my PCM80. Those are two of the best investments I think I've made...
Actually listening through a second time I think I hear two power guitars in the back ground one panned a bit left and other a bit right - unless you had some cool rolling pan effect (but I think I hear two guitars playing). The solo guitar was a third guitar mostly centered.
In this case bring all three guitars up a bit, expand stereo on the two power guitars in the background, and make the solo guitar yet a tad louder during solo and bring it down when voice comes back (will give more room for voice). A bit of ambiance on solo guitar wont hurt. Leave bass as it is.
Vocal is awesome! Be careful not to overdo bringing volume up a bit and definitely go easy on stereo expansion (easy to overdo and make sound more wishy-washy).
Just my two cents...
Great tune!!
Thanks vadoom - good suggestions which I will play around with. And you are 100% correct - two guitars panned L/R and solo up the middle....

:):D:):D

Nice job on the vocals...done well. For this type of tune, they seem to sit fine on my end. Good overall mix. Maybe bring teh solo up a hair...it sits well, but could probably be slightly louder, like the vox.

Good tune!

I really enjoyed listening to it! :)

About the only thing that bugged me about the production was the sound of the drums being a little too obvious that this was a drum machine. A snappier snare would help. :cool:

Cheers! :)

Here's a newer tune that I just finished working on. It's another one that I added Mike's bass to and mixed down. I used the advice from the previous mix on this, so I'm hoping it worked out, balance and tone wise.

Here's the link to the song page.

Sweet Addiction

Any comments, opinions, feedback on anything would be greatly appreciated.

:D:):D:)

Hey Gerry, I always love listening to your tunes. This is another tune that fits so well amongst your arsenal of tunes.
The mix sounds a little muddy overall to me. I would like to hear a little more mids and highs in the rhythm guitars to add some liveliness. I would like to hear more separation on the guitars, maybe try panning the two rhythm guitars hard left and hard right, I find this really widens/broadens the sound. The snare would sound great with a little more crack, perhaps a slight boost in the high-mids by a few db's.
The lead guitar needs some more attack to lift the solo up where I would like to hear it.

The song structure and subject is so "ala ido1957".....I love it.

Overall again Gerry, great medium paced mellow-rock tunage that just needs a little lift in the mids-highs here and there!
This is just my honest opinion Gerry!

Great stuff! Thanx for sharing! :)

Gorty

Finally got to hear this. :mad:

The song sounds good. Vocals sound really good. I like the way the bass and guitars sort of growl together. That amp sounds like it wants to be unleashed. Turn it loose! :D

Another cool song. Good job. :)

Dogman, Ghost, Gorty, and Greg_L

Thanks guys for listening and the all the kind words. After listening to an early mix Mike mentioned he wanted to try some different bass riffs on this. We might have some time next week to work on that. When I remix his changes I'll try bringing out the guitars some more....and I'll check out that solo level.

I'm getting smart and writing down my mixer settings on mixdowns. That really speeds up remixing when you're working on a few tunes with different settings....or if you're using the same mixer for practicing between mixes. ;)

That's what I like about mixing "in the box". Each project has it's own set of faders that stay put. ;)

From my post in the Newbie section.....

Sonar 6.0 PE is the latest software I tried and it was awesome. Sure it has billions of features but I only need to use a few. My friend Mike just bought it and we're starting to download all our old ADAT tapes into it so we instantly have mixing tracks to play with. I'm picking it up maybe end of the year or next year, money permitting. Its about $550 here at Long and McQuade. :eek:

Its a nice song there Gerry, I just had time for a quick listen. I think adding some more guitars with a more raw tone would really add some power to the tracks-I like the ones that are there-I'd like to hear a bit more depth, I suppose.
Some harmonies on the choruses would sound good as well-I'm sure you will work everything out fine very soon.

EXCELLENT song.
Great playing.
Some harmonies - noe =w the topic has been raised, might be nice. A little more vol to make the solo sting is a must.
VERY GOOD mix.

Thanks Ray - I will try and find some harmonies for this. And I'll up the solo a touch...Thanks Again!:D:):D:)

Cool rocker here! Like other posters, I really dig the vocals, nice job...personally I would like the guitars a bit more edgier and full...dig the tone and playing on the solo! Cool tune, nice job!

Cool tune. Natural arrangement, decent hook, distinctive vocal performance. Polished sound to the mix with every instrument crystal clear and effortless to hear. Tasty solo licks. I like the traditional bridge following the solo.

I did hear some room to develop some areas further. I felt the rhythm guitar was kind of characterless and repeatatively trudged along throughout the the whole song. I felt there were opportunities to spice up the rhythm guitar work and possibly utilize some tonality changes to give a bit more intensity change between verse and chorus. I'd also like to have heard the bass diverge more from the rhythm guitar and carve out its own place.

I don't want to make to big a point of this, but the drum part seems "canned". The sounds were good and the mix excellent, but the patterns uninteresting.

This is a good song and makes giving feedback easy because the areas of improvement so narrow.

I enjoyed it, Daren

MySpace

Back