Swedish folk rock

Hemluth

Hello

I recently finnished my attempt at writing a Swedish folk rock song. It is in 6/4 meter and features acordions, but blends into some pretty heavier form of electric rock. I think the song strikes you as pretty unique.

Most instruments are from Quantum Leap East West samples. The acoustic guitar is the only real instrument.

I aimed for a pretty bright but wet mix (which I think was pretty popular with acoustic rock in the late 70's to early 80's. I am afraid that it is a little too bright and sharp. Please speak your mind.

EDIT: A new mix again; http://www.box.net/shared/rtexnyrilm (with slightly higher bass frequences and an even stronger snare)

EDIT; http://www.box.net/shared/cgxbv2yzxj (with heavier drums and more bass frequences)

http://www.box.net/shared/qlrkbyhci9

I would be glad to recieve comments on everything from the songwriting, production to mixing and mastering.
Thanks as lot!

Last edited:
I really have no idea how to critique a song like this, but I think you've got a pretty rich and complex-sounding arrangement here, which was very well done.

Mix-wise, I think the vocals were a bit overpowering at times. Did you apply any compression? It almost seems like there is so much dynamic range to the vocal recording that the perceived level in the mix is rather inconsistent.

I also thought that maybe the drums could be a touch louder, but not much.

Matt

You think the vocals are too dynamic? :eek: I must admit that I am surprised to hear that. There are some pretty serious compression going on at that track. I'm not even sure that I can compress it much more without the compression being too obvious. Is there a particular place where you find the vocals too strong or too weak?

I can definately see what you mean with the drum volume. I am limiting the master pretty strongly, which is almost always killing some of the percussion attack. I thought that the drum attacks were still okay, but your comment really opened my mind for another point of view.

Thanks a lot for commenting!

To me, it is written as a Opera...I do like when the rockin' kicks in, but..it is too short.

If you would get some musicians to play real instruments, I think you will discover a different feel and direction to it..

Best to ya with it.

You think the vocals are too dynamic? :eek: I must admit that I am surprised to hear that. There are some pretty serious compression going on at that track. I'm not even sure that I can compress it much more without the compression being too obvious. Is there a particular place where you find the vocals too strong or too weak?

The thing I said about compression was just kind of a theory as to why I was getting the feel that I was from the song. Obviously that's not it, since you say you've got plenty of compression on there.

Another thing I considered when I was listening to it was that maybe it was just an illusion created by the drums being kind of low in the mix. What I mean is, the drums would seem most buried when the vocals are going full force, and would seem least buried when the vocals are going with less intensity or not at all. So maybe if you dialed back the limiting a bit to salvage some of the drum attack, coupled with a bit of a bump on the overall drum level, that would set my ears straight. If you try a different mix, be sure to post it.

Matt

'll see what I can do. I have been thinking strongly about increacing the bass frquences of the mix (which will most likely give the kick as well as the bass guitar som extra muscle). I could also increase the level of the snare a little and reduce the master limiting slightly.

I am up for some experimenting.

Thanks for commenting. :)

first if all..pretty nice song (even if your voice is a bit too much on the dramatic side)

i would get rid of the piano and the drums in the beginning and just stick with the accordion and maybe an irish flute and/or a violin)

i also would start way earlier with the heavy part.....maybe put your other verses behind that

Pretty cool. Kind of like a Swedish Meatloaf. ("kött slå dank" then? :D )

I'd like to hear more of the heavy part. It's the high point of the song, but it occupies so little space.

I think more real instruments would be nice. Your samples sound good, but live instruments are almost always cooler if you can get them.

I like what you did with the time-signature changes.

Thank you..

The heavy ending (including the fade out) actually takes up like a full quatre or something of the song. I initially thought of having a 10 minute heavy guitar solo in the ending, but I reckoned it would loose some of its connection with the main themes of the song.

I think I actually have some pretty good samples. They are at least expensive.. For that reason, I will probably stick with the samples for a while. But of course, real instruments are always the best, but is also the further most expensive and complicated.

On first listen, it sounded to me like there was a delay on the vocal, which when combined with the large amount of vibrato makes for a really slappy sound. Am I wrong? Am I really hearing a delay on the vocals? I'm curious just what I'm hearing. If it's there, I think removing it would help.

There is a delay in there. I think that it is mostly swallowed by the much stronger reverb, but I can see what I can do.

http://www.box.net/shared/cgxbv2yzxj

I have increased the power of the drums and also of the general bass frequences. The drums, especially the kick, should be a lot stronger now. I hope that it will sound better.

And thanks a lot for commenting.

There you go... I like this mix much better, personally.

Now this is nitpicking, but IMO, the snare would sound better with a bit shorter of a reverb tail, more so during the pre-rock portion of the song.

Good job.

There you go... I like this mix much better, personally.

Now this is nitpicking, but IMO, the snare would sound better with a bit shorter of a reverb tail, more so during the pre-rock portion of the song.

Good job.

Thanks a lot!

I am actually a fan of snares of the 80's. In my world, there is no such thing as a too long reverb tail wth a snare drum. :D

It's admirable that you posted something a bit out the ordinary here. It isn't very often that we get to listen to music such as this is.

It's wonderful! :)

New mix again;

http://www.box.net/shared/rtexnyrilm

I put the very lowest bass frequences up slightly more. I figured the bass is actually quite a bit more quiet in the end (with the 16th), so I put put that one up some more in the ending. I thought that there was too little back beat with so much gained bass, so I put the snare up som more (I am into overpowered snares really, and this was sounding a bit weak compared to the bass drum). I also put the end solo guitar up some more at some occasions.

Thanks everyone for commenting! :D

Back