Surfs Up! Ventures Walk Don't Run

God, I haven't heard that tune in YEARS. That stuff is just plain fun. Thanks for sharing that.:cool:

You managed to remain very true to the genre.
This surf music is not as easy to play as you make it sound.
I recommend to all the young thrashers out there to play a clean guitar in this genre once in a while.
Not only will it improve the chops but give you pups a sense of music history.

VERY much enjoyed, Thank You.

Thanks, Track Rat and Dan for the listen and your kind comments! I've been playing the Les Paul lately mostly, and this tune gave me a chance to play a twangy Strat and wiggle the whammy bar for a change.

this had to be one of the first tunes I learned. ..even without the whammy.. and "my baby does the hanky-panky"

pretty roomy drums,...I don't think stereo drums were all the rage back when... but good performances all around.

"Zen" thing... It's technically very nice.

It just doesn't have that "swing" that surf music has... Know what I mean? It just seems a little "tight" like you guys weren't relaxed & in the groove... Hips shaking, waves crashing and all...

I like the recording... Yeah, roomy drums - But, the "distance" is cool...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

HEy nice work!!

This is one of the first songs my dad taught me on guitar.

I think that maybe the lead git could come up a bit, and the bass is a bit boomy but that may be only on my system.

well done.

yiordanaki

Nice rendition, although as a drummer I miss the swing rhythm groove in the chorus. Otherwise I enjoyed it.

Keep recording!

Tom,

You and your brothers? did a great job on this track! :)

You really captured the mix well and even the slap back echo was very true to the era of the original.

I was surprised to see a real drummer on this track as his playing was machine perfect. Perhaps that's what some of the criticism is about?

Playing too tight?

Forget about it!

You guys were great!:D

Cheers! :)

This is the first song I learned as well.

This sounds really cool. It's a little slower than the orginal but still very cool. The original really zips along. I remember being frustrated that I couldn't play along when I started. :D

What kinda of amp did you use? How did you record the guitar? Is it amp reverb, plug-in, outboard? I like the guitar tone a lot and want to replicate it. Unfortunately, a "young thrasher" like myself isn't good at getting clean tones.

It does sound too rigid. I like the far away sound of the cymbals, but I don't think it works so well for the snare.
Aloha!

Back