The Surface - alternative

andrushkiwt

I've used my newest mic here, the sm7b. I kept the foam that came attached on, though I left the extra thick foam that came in the box off. Next time, I think I'll try taking the original foam off as well, to brighten the vocal. I had to do quite a bit of vocal EQ here to liven the sound up, though not as much as usual in some spots. The 3k region was pretty good as it came, and I still had to take out a lot of 1k in the vocal, but overall I had less EQ work than when I was using the st51.

The guitars are, again, the GNX3000 board - Marshall 900 for both heavier guitars and one set of "leads", then Dual Rec for a third set...those two lead sets are playing the octave melody in the intro, for example. Bass is also through that board, on the Ampeg amp through Ashland cab. Again, I tried the NY Avatar kit - but I forgot to switch the cymbals around, like someone suggested last track, because Rock Warehouse expansion has much better cymbals in terms of decay time and overall sound. I'll do that for my next tune.

So, just new mic this time around. Oh, and I switched up my master bus chain a little. It now looks like this: Schepps Channel Strip -> SSL EQ -> API2500 -> API550 -> TKR Tokelnikov -> Pro EQ (stock) -> Limiter (stock).

I considered focusing more on lyrics this time, but I was having a hard time with the "finality" of picking certain lyrics, so I just went with whatever came to mind at the time. It's something I'm trying to focus more on, but I don't want to cross that point to where everything is deliberate and clear - I like ambiguity in lyrics, and I try to keep a certain portion of that, but hopefully not in excess. On that note, I'll also add that this vocal was very hard for me, particularly the bridge. The jumps in pitch (particularly the one up to "twine") were really hard. I tracked about 40 total vocal takes for this song, most of them all the way through, but it never got any easier to do the bridge. In fact, the more I sang the harder it became. So some of the bridge takes were punched in, so to speak. This one single vocal you hear is a combination of tons of vocal takes, sometimes down to an individual syllable. :)

Maybe I should go and rest my head,
I won't get out alive.
We can't lose control of everything we've said,
you've only come to life.

You never were the same boy.

I'm scratching the surface, intentions unclear.
I'm desperate and certain I'll follow you there.
Confidence broken, I can't disappear.
Unfading - the shade is colder here.

Maybe I should go and lose my mind,
at least I'll get out alive.
Everything I know, by my design,
has kept the stars aligned.

I fall down over you in twine,
pardon me as I cover you with mine...
see it through my eyes.

I like the slight alteration in words in the second verse's first line playing off of the first verse's first line - keeping them similar, yet somewhat opposite.

The stutter sounds very good - I don't think you overdid it. I hear a definite improvement in your vocal quality, and the overall mix is also very good.

Damn near perfect I'd have to say. I listened through it 3 times.....twice on my system and once through the HD600's. I love the overall drum sounds.......especially the snare for some reason. However you decided to employ your reverb across the tracks is superb!! I'm jealous. I always have too much or too little. If I HAD to comment on anything it might be that the bottom end seemed just a tad weak. The vocals sound just right........great job!!!

Damn near perfect I'd have to say. I listened through it 3 times.....twice on my system and once through the HD600's. I love the overall drum sounds.......especially the snare for some reason. However you decided to employ your reverb across the tracks is superb!! I'm jealous. I always have too much or too little. If I HAD to comment on anything it might be that the bottom end seemed just a tad weak. The vocals sound just right........great job!!!

I thought the kick needed to be more present in the mix, the bottom of it wasn't as detectable, I thought. Thanks about the drums - I liked their sound too. Everything gets a bit of Voxengo's "old skool verb" on the bright studio preset, but the snare and toms get their own reverb as well inside Superior Drummer. It's about 20% wet, 20ms pre-d, and a plate style. I have also started limiting my snare's, so I can get a bit more volume on the master out. Until I find another way to do it, that I like , it's a limiter pedal that comes with Superior. It's also really, really compressed.

I like the slight alteration in words in the second verse's first line playing off of the first verse's first line - keeping them similar, yet somewhat opposite.

I can't recall if I did that because I was lazy or because I forgot the original words there. :) Thanks about the vocal sound. I think it'll sound better without the foam next time though. But thank you for listening and commenting.

I thought things sounded very good per usual. Guitars sounded great. I like the vocal sound too.

Some small things...

I thought the bass was a little too strong. Too much low end IMO.

The vocal has more reverb than the other tracks.

Cymbals sound good. High hat is a little thin. But not bad.

This is excellent, guitars sound really, really good, as do the vocals. Performances are top drawer too. Nothing to pick on at all, very nice work indeed.

On my work cans, so I can't critique that clearly, but it's sounding pretty good.

Only nit that sticks out is that the bass is a little buried when the guitars are full-on.

I like that bridge a lot. Very different vocal arrangement than you normally do!

I like that bridge a lot. Very different vocal arrangement than you normally do!

Thanks for noticing. Some of the takes were pretty rough - it was hard singing the bridge, especially the jump up to "twine". Kinda rough as it is, but oh well. Thanks for the listen/comment

Coming along well. There's some inconsistency in the bass level that I hadn't noticed before. During the verse it sounds about right, filling out the low end of the guitars. During the chorus it might be a tad low. During the bridge it definitely sounds low to me. Interesting variation in the verse arrangement toward the end of the song, when the guitars drop out. Drums sound pretty good. Those crashes left and right seem a litte odd, like something is choking them off--gate? Good job.

Coming along well. There's some inconsistency in the bass level that I hadn't noticed before. During the verse it sounds about right, filling out the low end of the guitars. During the chorus it might be a tad low. During the bridge it definitely sounds low to me. Interesting variation in the verse arrangement toward the end of the song, when the guitars drop out. Drums sound pretty good. Those crashes left and right seem a litte odd, like something is choking them off--gate? Good job.

No gating. I haven't experimented with that yet, and not sure how useful it is in MIDI drums or amp sims. Maybe there's something there, though, that I could use at some point.

Bass probably just seems more stepped on in the chorus. I smash the hell out of my bass track with several layers of compression - I swear it's only moving about 2dbs. Probably just more going on, guitar-wise, in the choruses and it gets lost a bit, maybe.

Thanks Ray

---------- Update ----------

This is excellent, guitars sound really, really good, as do the vocals. Performances are top drawer too. Nothing to pick on at all, very nice work indeed.

Untrue, but thanks though :guitar:

Cymbals sound good. High hat is a little thin. But not bad.

New hi-hat here! Haven't used this one before. I'll admit that I didn't focus much on it this track. It actually bugs me in the verses because it seems really loud and sharp with those off beat sizzles. Interesting observation, thanks

Nice punchy production, crunchy guitars have the right amount of snap and crackle. Think I recognise that stutter effect from my old gnx. I like your vocal on this, composition and arrangement are good too. No problems on these headphones, I can't suggest any improvements. Nice job

I've used my newest mic here, the sm7b. I kept the foam that came attached on, though I left the extra thick foam that came in the box off. Next time, I think I'll try taking the original foam off as well, to brighten the vocal...

I tried using the foam sheet my AT2020 came with - it doesn't work as a pop filter, but it does cut the highs. I need a pop filter more, so it's back to GC.

I'm no good at commenting win this kind of music, but it sounded like that Thunderbirds Busted thing from a few years back. That's meant as a compliment. The overall tone, and even the vocal style and tone was similar. So I can't say I like it but it sounds to my ears like a commercial track - that kind of polish within it's genre. I'd be very pleased if I could record it that well. Sure - there are a few tiny things in the vocal that jumps out where two voices do different things - one bends down the other doesn't - but it is small stuff. As for lyrics? I never listen to lyrics so can't even comment. Lyrics are just a tune with words. I listen to the tune, any deep meaning in words goes over my head.

This sounds great-good tones and performances all around, nice arrangement ideas to keep things interesting. Any criticisms would just be incorrect personal preferences. I really like some of the vocal layering ideas with the verbed higher pitch vocals. Drums sound better than usual to me-usually i find programmed drums take rocking tunes down a few notches, here though they are not bothering me that much..not sure if it's because they are sitting further back in the mix or particular kit pieces you're using but they are working very well with the tune. Nice work!

... here though they are not bothering me that much..not sure if it's because they are sitting further back in the mix or particular kit pieces you're using but they are working very well with the tune.

Cool, thanks. I like this kit too. NY Avatar kit in SD3.

Back