Superstar Baby Mix/Master Feedback

Trying a few different things with this mix - would love some feedback on it. I wanted to verses to function as the drop like a big wave, and the choruses to lay it back. Tried to balance the elements of Modern rock (with an 80's vintage throwback) to something that could play in a club with a lot of bounce. Up on Bandcamp to listen - can DL it there for free if you'd prefer. Many thanks!

Superstar Baby | Finish Effect

This is a cool song, liked your idea of putting 80's vibe, although I hate almost from the 80's, there are definitely some cool elements you can use.

Regarding your mixing, I think that the synth on the verse its too loud, almost shading the vocals a bit. I would bring it down. And I would bring the guitar solo track up as well, because it is almost competing with the lead guitar on the left. But I guess its all about mix moves, because the recorded sounds you achieved sounds really great to me.

This is a cool song, liked your idea of putting 80's vibe, although I hate almost from the 80's, there are definitely some cool elements you can use.

Regarding your mixing, I think that the synth on the verse its too loud, almost shading the vocals a bit. I would bring it down. And I would bring the guitar solo track up as well, because it is almost competing with the lead guitar on the left. But I guess its all about mix moves, because the recorded sounds you achieved sounds really great to me.

Thank you for your kind words... I'll revisit the balance of the solo for sure and how the guitar playing the lead figures balances with everything - it popped out a bit in the master in a way that was unexpected. As for the Synth in the verses - I was looking for those dramatic bass pedal tones to kind of give it a club/drop vibe because I gave all the energy to the verses instead of the choruses in the song - so they lay back in contrast - I'll look at the balance there again but I was going for a big drop to push those pretty hard.

Robbie! Good to hear some new music from you. Obviously a very and unique cool song! I would throw some reverb on that initial arpeggiated guitar. I like that subtle wah going on around 0:45. The bass synth on the chorus seems a bit loud - but not overly so. I would also throw some reverbs and/or delays on that lead solo at the end to fatten it up. Otherwise everything sounds pretty balanced and well mixed. I can't remember, are you using VSTs or mic'ing real amps for your guitars?

Robbie! Good to hear some new music from you. Obviously a very and unique cool song! I would throw some reverb on that initial arpeggiated guitar. I like that subtle wah going on around 0:45. The bass synth on the chorus seems a bit loud - but not overly so. I would also throw some reverbs and/or delays on that lead solo at the end to fatten it up. Otherwise everything sounds pretty balanced and well mixed. I can't remember, are you using VSTs or mic'ing real amps for your guitars?

Thanks so much Steve - your suggestions were really good and I've tweaked the mix further - definitely and bit experimental for me. Guitars are a mix of Rockman X100 and Guitar Rig -- got my boogie dismantled for a recapp so I'm in the box right now. I'll reach out soon - definitely been digging your new Synth-wave stuff - they actually inspired me a bit with this track. I'll reach out soon when I open up some time and head-space... still in the weeds - this track was over a year in the making though I squeezed "Spirit" out right in the middle of the lockdown.... cheers - talk soon.

Thanks so much Steve - your suggestions were really good and I've tweaked the mix further - definitely and bit experimental for me. Guitars are a mix of Rockman X100 and Guitar Rig -- got my boogie dismantled for a recapp so I'm in the box right now. I'll reach out soon - definitely been digging your new Synth-wave stuff - they actually inspired me a bit with this track. I'll reach out soon when I open up some time and head-space... still in the weeds - this track was over a year in the making though I squeezed "Spirit" out right in the middle of the lockdown.... cheers - talk soon.

Real nice improvements! The reverb on the opening guitar arpeggiations sounds great. Same with the lead solo. Definitely sounds fatter now. Glad you're liking my new tracks. They're all a part of an electronic-rock album that I should complete sometime next year. Hope you've been hanging in there, and hope to hear from you soon!

Real nice improvements! The reverb on the opening guitar arpeggiations sounds great. Same with the lead solo. Definitely sounds fatter now. Glad you're liking my new tracks. They're all a part of an electronic-rock album that I should complete sometime next year. Hope you've been hanging in there, and hope to hear from you soon!

Here's the Mix I settled on.

Superstar Baby by Finish Effect - Official Video HQ Audio - YouTube

Regards - thanks for your help guys.

Sounds great Robbie. Real nice improvements. And really awesome video too! How did you make it?

Thanks again Stevie - I got lucky with the video. I was able to collect and use a whole bunch of footage taken from this one photographer that made the footage public domain and some of it free througfh creative commons...- basically various stock things she filmed in different places. There was enough of it for me to imagine a narrative path through it that would pair with my song -- I just cut it all up and selectively used it - put it together using an old version of Adobe Premiere (CS4.0). I worked on it for weeks until it just all came together after I abandoned my first draft.

Back