Sunny Saturday

Stratomaster

Been mixing like a madman all week-got a whole album pretty much mixed and "mastered". So--I'll start with the worst first lol-Meaning-I think the mix is pretty good, but this is a song I had high hopes for when I came up with the music, then I turned it over to the singer...Most of the time our collaborative process works really well, this time, no matter how many hints and suggestions I made-he wouldn't budge...So now the drummer and I just make fun of this song. :)

Some recording notes--

--Drums are in mono-1 overhead-kick-snare-and room mic

--Borrowed a friends F-hole tele for one of the guitar tracks(nice guitar)

--My first bg vocal track (singer got pissed at me says I sound like a wounded moose-I'm the hvy reverbed one :) )

--Ran through ozone eq and multiband comp and waves ultra-maximzer

--Listening now-guitars sound a bit loud-bass could be punchier and some of the backgrounds are lost-

Anyway-don't let my negative description scare you off! I only have the mixing equipment till Monday so any mix comments appreciated (I know the song is ghey)

www.nowhereradio.com/ultra/singles

Thanks

Great feel. When you’re singing alone great! I can't make out some of the backing vocals though. They may be fighting with the rhythm guitar space, I don't know. Someone more experienced may want to add something.

All in all great job, good tune good structure, feel, everything. I like it a lot.

Joe

Hey, this is......sunny! (it's raining around here at the other end of the pond btw)

Love the choruses, very sophisticated! I wish I had a beautiful high voice like that! You bastard! So much easier to mix...

Sounds awesome man! Nothing to say about the mix. If you can get it just a wee bit warmer, that would be nice. But it's good as it is. You rock!

Listening to it again: great tune!

At 1:07 and 1:43 (when the music is somewhat quieter) , you can clearly hear the ambience of your room. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing. Perhaps a little artificial reverb would help there...hmmmm......not sure..........hm........eh.........hm...........no..........I really don't know.

Sorry, not much of a help here. LOL :D

Thanks for your times fellas-and good comments

Smokepole-your right about the guitar conflicting with the backups-I'm going to take another crack mixing this in a couple of hours-I'll see if I can't make it all fit---thanks-and I liked your latest offering-very nice

Pedullist-Thanks for listening-It's funny but I was just listening to your tune "neem vrij" to hear how you stacked your vocals-seems like you turned down the guitars when you have alot of layered vocals..Am I right? Any tips you have about fitting background vocals in better? Yes your right about that room ambience-I used the tape sim effect to sort of flatten out the vocals some-but the room is there and I would say it's not good lol-its funny but at the very end after his last note you can even hear the doorbell start to ring-I cut off as much as I could to not affect the vocal but it's still there..Anyway thanks for listening-any more help you can offer would be appreciated-I have some time this afternoon to mix again and I can try to post a remix-so suggest away!

It's mostly panning and equalising with my stuff. Roll off lows in the guitars and roll off some of the mid in the harmonies to make room for the lead vocal. Or use a multiband compressor to control the mids in the choruses. I've listened to a lot of XTC lately and they seem to roll off highs on the harmonies. Pretty weird, but it works.

Neem Vrij was a hell to mix (wait a minute, everything I make is a hell to mix....perhaps I just don't like mixing that much :D ) Took me 4 hours to record, and 5 weeks to mix. Argh. The breakthrough was in fact an add on! It didn't sound right until I added the strumming acoustic steelstrings. Bam, the whole thing opened up. That was so funny, especially after weeks of muting stuff in order to open up the mix. Anyway, the part you're reffering to (the vocal layering) has the biggest amount of guitars in the song! Two strumming steel strings, two arpeggiating electrics with a leslie sound, the classical acoustic & one electric in unison with the bass. Listen to it with headphones, and you'll hear it. Funny, isn't it?

I usually like noise from outside in recordings. I believe there's a telephone ringing on some Led Zep track. Awesome! So I really don't mind.

Good luck mixing!

Tjarko Spector

Sounds nice. The only thing I noticed is that the lead vox could come up a tich, at least to my ear and maybe it would be a bit dry if it was brought up a little. The mix sounds pretty good to me.

Nice job

ok first off all those harmonies rock........bring the lead voc up...ALOT...lol....guitar is catchy..!!...i like the way the guitar drops out on the verses ..nice touch...cause THEN you can hear the bass and i like the bass....:D.."traffic light reminds me"....cool..
cool stops and starts too....very cool.!!!!.

great vocals all the way around...really really great vocals ..

the ending is cool....the constant way that you did the vocals...

nice work jerk:D

jamal

I agree with the lead vocal needing to be up front a wee bit more. This is really refreshing though man, I like it a lot.

Stratomaster said:

--Listening now-guitars sound a bit loud-bass could be punchier and some of the backgrounds are lost-

Just fix the stuff you said, bring up the lead vocals like others have said, and this is top notch.

While the guitars and vocals might be fighting for space, I think you can fix most of that just with volume. The tones are really good so I'm hoping you can accomplish that without too much eq.

What are you guessing is the release date for the album? I've heard some of your other stuff. I'd definetly be interested.

Do you remember Blind Melon? Sounds a lot like their stuff. Their only hit song was called No Rain.

Beez

sounds really good........i would agree that the lead vocal needs to come up......other than that, the mix is really good.....

always a good tune from you..

I really like it but the recording is not as good as usual.. your other tunes sound better to me.. you always make the vocals too low.. I'm listening to Love and war right now and the vocals are too low on that too.. maybe it's because of the vocal sound.. the vocal sounds really squashed and there is sibilance right from the get go on this.. really good song man, but I like the older recordings.. undo what you did.. I'm having the same types of problems so take it for what it's worth.. great song..

remember that technology is dangerous..

'Waves' can kill..

it's killing my music right now! :eek:

and it was a sunny saturday!!!!!! I'm just gonna start a thread that say's......"fender is listening on computer speaker's":D
Can't comment on the mix, strat. COOL tune though, your a great writer, and a top notch musician!!!!!!! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!! alway's dig your stuff, bro!!!!!

thank's , strat!
Peace

Rick

Jangly, happy tune! Good performance. Nice vocal work.

It sounds like the drums and bass are in the next room though. Maybe bring 'em up front a bit more.;)

sibilance ssssaturday....

baaah-I hate this song lol

jag-thanks man-I made a new mix with louder vocals-but after reading B Sabbs response I think I made it worse---thanks for listening

Jamal-thanks for listening-see above ^

David-Thanks for your time and input-if I wasn't so frazzled I'd check out your latest tune-maybe tomorrow..

fprod-good input I appreciate it-I tried a remix and it's up but I think I may have to go back to the drawing board when I'm more fresh...as far as album release--as soon as the rest of the guys agree on keepers and then we print some up-I'd be glad to give you one for free-maybe a self adressed envelope?I'm the worst at mailing stuff---btw I was poking around a link from the flaming lips website and ran into your site(again) cool---you like the lips???

Beezo-someone else mentioned blind melon to me--"all i can say is that my life...blah blah" yeah the singer does sound like that guy--thats the only thing i ever heard from them-so wouldn't say im a fan...

powder-thanks for your time-I tried a remix but may have mucked it up more...I was mixing on headphones for the first time and even switched phones from one mix to another--my listening environment has gone from shitty to transient---really good for them mixes. I'll check out your challenge tune when my ears stop ringing.

BSabb.- a useful listen from you for sure-I needed it-I didnt notice the sibilance till you mentioned it-it may even be worse on the remix i just posted. Ya waves can kill-lol-without it though my files would be almost inaudible-its friggin maddening-as I limit to get the volume reasonable-the mix changes-blah blah don't even get me started-Anyway-I got a new version of love and war I think is pretty happening-I'll post it up next week-Thanks for your time and good ears-I'll check your tune out tomorrow when I'm fresh.
_________

Thanks people for your time and let this turd flush---and avoid the remix-it sucks worse than the first version (spent about 6-8 hrs messing it up lol)--anyway no more bumpage-go listen to the clinic challenge tunes or something. Signing out.

Back