Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunny Saturday

Thanks

Sunny Saturday

Sign in to disable this ad
    Been mixing like a madman all week-got a whole album pretty much mixed and "mastered". So--I'll start with the worst first lol-Meaning-I think the mix is pretty good, but this is a song I had high hopes for when I came up with the music, then I turned it over to the singer...Most of the time our collaborative process works really well, this time, no matter how many hints and suggestions I made-he wouldn't budge...So now the drummer and I just make fun of this song.

Some recording notes--

--Drums are in mono-1 overhead-kick-snare-and room mic

--Borrowed a friends F-hole tele for one of the guitar tracks(nice guitar)

--My first bg vocal track (singer got pissed at me says I sound like a wounded moose-I'm the hvy reverbed one )

--Ran through ozone eq and multiband comp and waves ultra-maximzer

--Listening now-guitars sound a bit loud-bass could be punchier and some of the backgrounds are lost-

Anyway-don't let my negative description scare you off! I only have the mixing equipment till Monday so any mix comments appreciated (I know the song is ghey)

www.nowhereradio.com/ultra/singles

Thanks
    "Hey man, am I drivin ok?" "You're stopped man"

Thanks
    Great feel. When you’re singing alone great! I can't make out some of the backing vocals though. They may be fighting with the rhythm guitar space, I don't know. Someone more experienced may want to add something.

All in all great job, good tune good structure, feel, everything. I like it a lot.

Joe

Thanks

Smile

Hey, this is......sunny! (it's raining around here at the other end of the pond btw)

Love the choruses, very sophisticated! I wish I had a beautiful high voice like that! You bastard! So much easier to mix...

Sounds awesome man! Nothing to say about the mix. If you can get it just a wee bit warmer, that would be nice. But it's good as it is. You rock!
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks

Thumbs up

Listening to it again: great tune!

At 1:07 and 1:43 (when the music is somewhat quieter) , you can clearly hear the ambience of your room. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing. Perhaps a little artificial reverb would help there...hmmmm......not sure..........hm........eh.........hm...........no..........I really don't know.

Sorry, not much of a help here. LOL

Thanks
    Thanks for your times fellas-and good comments

Smokepole-your right about the guitar conflicting with the backups-I'm going to take another crack mixing this in a couple of hours-I'll see if I can't make it all fit---thanks-and I liked your latest offering-very nice

Pedullist-Thanks for listening-It's funny but I was just listening to your tune "neem vrij" to hear how you stacked your vocals-seems like you turned down the guitars when you have alot of layered vocals..Am I right? Any tips you have about fitting background vocals in better? Yes your right about that room ambience-I used the tape sim effect to sort of flatten out the vocals some-but the room is there and I would say it's not good lol-its funny but at the very end after his last note you can even hear the doorbell start to ring-I cut off as much as I could to not affect the vocal but it's still there..Anyway thanks for listening-any more help you can offer would be appreciated-I have some time this afternoon to mix again and I can try to post a remix-so suggest away!
    "Hey man, am I drivin ok?" "You're stopped man"

Thanks

Talking

It's mostly panning and equalising with my stuff. Roll off lows in the guitars and roll off some of the mid in the harmonies to make room for the lead vocal. Or use a multiband compressor to control the mids in the choruses. I've listened to a lot of XTC lately and they seem to roll off highs on the harmonies. Pretty weird, but it works.

Neem Vrij was a hell to mix (wait a minute, everything I make is a hell to mix....perhaps I just don't like mixing that much ) Took me 4 hours to record, and 5 weeks to mix. Argh. The breakthrough was in fact an add on! It didn't sound right until I added the strumming acoustic steelstrings. Bam, the whole thing opened up. That was so funny, especially after weeks of muting stuff in order to open up the mix. Anyway, the part you're reffering to (the vocal layering) has the biggest amount of guitars in the song! Two strumming steel strings, two arpeggiating electrics with a leslie sound, the classical acoustic & one electric in unison with the bass. Listen to it with headphones, and you'll hear it. Funny, isn't it?

I usually like noise from outside in recordings. I believe there's a telephone ringing on some Led Zep track. Awesome! So I really don't mind.

Good luck mixing!

Tjarko Spector

Thanks

Thumbs up

Sounds nice. The only thing I noticed is that the lead vox could come up a tich, at least to my ear and maybe it would be a bit dry if it was brought up a little. The mix sounds pretty good to me.

Nice job
    John

Thanks
    ok first off all those harmonies rock........bring the lead voc up...ALOT...lol....guitar is catchy..!!...i like the way the guitar drops out on the verses ..nice touch...cause THEN you can hear the bass and i like the bass......"traffic light reminds me"....cool..
    cool stops and starts too....very cool.!!!!.

great vocals all the way around...really really great vocals ..

the ending is cool....the constant way that you did the vocals...

nice work jerk

jamal

Thanks

Thumbs up

I agree with the lead vocal needing to be up front a wee bit more. This is really refreshing though man, I like it a lot.

Thanks

Re: Sunny Saturday

Originally posted by Stratomaster

--Listening now-guitars sound a bit loud-bass could be punchier and some of the backgrounds are lost-
    Just fix the stuff you said, bring up the lead vocals like others have said, and this is top notch.

While the guitars and vocals might be fighting for space, I think you can fix most of that just with volume. The tones are really good so I'm hoping you can accomplish that without too much eq.

What are you guessing is the release date for the album? I've heard some of your other stuff. I'd definetly be interested.

Thread Information