Sunday Morning...

chrisharris

King of Bling
...Coming Down...

Got in from last night's gig at 6:30 this morning - there's nothing like greeting the paper boy on Sunday morning when you've been up all night;

I can never sleep after that drive, and it's done nothing but rain here in Texas since Johnny Cash died, so I recorded this over the last few hours...

...too many cigarettes, too little sleep, too much hiss, and it's six minutes long, lmao. Everything about this recording is totally wrong...not just sloppy, but WRONG.

Enjoy the laugh - if you're totally bored out of your fucking skull.

www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles
"SUNDAY MORNING COMING DOWN"

Chris
(g'nite now)...ZZZzzzzzzz

I think the idea was for this to be in Remembrance of Him - J.C. (Johhny Cash, that is). I woke Slash up to play the outro, and I swear, if you listen closely on headphones, you can actually hear mexican radio coming out of the guitar amp at the end).

Good songwriting Chris...

I like the arpeggio guit...nice tone....
wah wah sort of mixes with the bass and makes it sound like the bass is going through the wah....

bass is a little muddy too man...or my ears are shot.....or both...

vox is a little bass heavy too.....you didn't autotune this one...
lead guit needs more presence man....more piercing...ya know?

And it echoed through the canyon....
like the dissappearing dreams of yesterday.........

and there's nothin' short of dyin'...
it's half as lonesome as it sounds
On the sleepy city sidewalk...
Sunday Morning comin' down...

*sniff*....*sniff*.........very cool.....

did I get it right?
Joe

Chris,

I never heard the original of this song by either Kris or Johnny but I do like it a bunch! Good show!

The acoustic guitar and vocals were immaculate! Well played and very well sung.

The bass is little muddy in spots and the electric guitar has a bit of a weird eq to it that doesn't quite blend in the mix but, it too is very well played and compliments the mood of the piece very nicely!

Good Shit, Dude!!

Cheers! :)

cleanest dirty shirt...

had another for dessert...

cheap mic on the vocal? Tons of compression. Throw some auto-tune on that hiss... a.t. + hiss = reverb :confused: lol

Pretty good fer a quickie. Sounds like one of yours... has your signature travis-pickin.

The backing vox need level (maybe less 'verb)...

up yours :D ... (the BGVs)

C

Good cover of a classic song. Really good vocals.

Nice sounding acoustic guitar.

Thought the drums were gonna kick in at the fist chorus.

I like it real well.

very nice.. especially the vocals..

sounds like there is no breathing room at all level wise, and this could benefit from that.. are my mixes that low? my full mixes aren't this loud.. maybe mine are low.. hmmm...

I wasn't crazy about the outro solos.. too many going on and not going together and the sound of them are 'processory'

the vocals really agreed with me on this one.. nice..

you didn't write this?:confused:

well then.....it sucks.....................

just kidding man, :D

I never heard it before......what a frickin' loser I am.. :D
Joe

Sung and Played

to perfection Chris.
A simple song kept simple and beautiful.
A fitting tribute to the "Man in Black"
Damn near brought me to tears actually:)

Dan

I slept...it was a good sleep.

You guys are too cool.

I don't think this one's gonna' survive to be abused by my drum pasting, lol...but it was kinda' nice to skip church and make noise in a quiet house for a change. No compression on anything but the bass, but it definitely looks like I "L2'd" the crap out of the mix...so that's LIKE compression, right? :D - Yeah, I think I can back off about 10db, lmao. Ever record something, then sleep?

...I think I will take a run at the outro again though...I took 2 shots at it, and they were both kinda' laughable, so I decided the smart thing to do would be to use BOTH of them instead of picking the least offensive one, lmao.

...you can't TEACH this stuff!!

I appreciate the time a lot...it's "birthday week" in the Harris household, so we're headed out to consolidate 3 of our blessed events in one night...YIPPEE!!!! Cake anyone?

Again, thanks...bbl.

Nice mellow tune. Agree the bass is muddy and a bit low in the mix. Great vocals as usual. I liked the gtr work. Cool solos and very clean sounding acoustic. Wife sigs the tune also.
Myx

nice tribute.......well played........definitely some hiss here and there, but who cares when it's a good performance.......

i posted a version of long black vail that i did w/ my bro earlier this summer on that j.cash tribute post by Hevy.....check it out if you get a chance.........

gotta love johnny cash/.........

Back from partying with the 3 year old and the 6 year old (last week, it was the 2 year old and the 5 year old, lol..TIME FLIES).

Wanted to say thanks, and also that in my self-centered, sleep deprived state, I didn't know there was a J.C. tribute thread..; I should have posted this there.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, I listened to this some, and I'm gonna' do more with it, I think, but I need help. The bass; - Before I posted this, I turned it down in the mix b/c it was rattling the crap out of my car speaks, and they can usually handle a lot of low end (if it's mixed properly), and I'm wondering if this is related to the muddy bass sound. Here's the thing, on monitors, the bass track sounds pretty decent...definition and stuff...so it might be the electric swells that are interfering. My question, I cut the bass at 80Hz thinking it might help reduce the rumble thing, but where else do people EQ their bass tracks, if there's any generalized EQ'ing on Bass. This song NEEDS to be carried by the bass, and I have this problem A LOT. (biggest hurdle for me always). Yeah, I know a lot of it depends on the instrument itself, but I think this can sound better in the mix, b/c again, the bass track alone sounds pretty cool...I recorded it as "trebly" as it'll go, but I haven't EQ'd any of the electric guits at all...ANY EQ SUGGESTIONS??

Some of that hiss (most of it) is on the electric swells, which is why it comes in and out, - I'm gonna' work on making it a more CONSTANT hiss, lol.

Anyway, I'm so tired of fighting bass issues, so any help would be appreciated a ton.

A fitting tribute to Johnny. The vocals on this are the way you'd been doing them the first time I heard a chrisharris tune. I think it was the soldier who wanted to hang out with this girl he just met.

Mixwise the only thing i could offer was that at the 5:00 mark (the solo) i started to get some rumbling on the right side and maybe some of the high's on the high part introduced there could be shaved off.

You know the rules, you aren't supposed to post covers of the industry superstars ... tchh tchhh you should know better.

:D

Awesome ... you sucked me in to this bigtime. This is a whole WORLD in this song.

A little bit to much verb on the ole vox :D , but that's just because you shaved.

Wow, thanks for sharing.

What do have planned for the other 6 days ?

My only real complaint is that at 4:51 the damn guitar is so loud we can't hear that incredibly beautiful and tear jerking fiddle solo ... damn ... well, I guess maybe next song ;-)

Very warm. Very nice, Chris. Good decision to keep it far way from drums too ;)

Agree with Khomp's comments on the higher mids of guitarsolo. Nice solo though.

I believe the bass resonates harder at some points, results in a 'vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeewwwwwwww' sound (in this case, the root I think). I'm pretty sure it's the bass (every bass has 'strong' and 'weak' or even dead spots), but there must be a way to control this. Eq, or a multiband compressor could perhaps help you.

I can tell you what setting I'm using but it wouldn't make much sense. It's the bass, and whatever you've done with it LOL :D

What did you add already? Eq? Compression? (duh!)

Btw, I love the spacy guitar part.

There are some lows in the vocals that can be cut, I think. Probably sounds very warm and cozy individually, but in this mix it could be too much.

Back