****Is Summer Over? Take A Listen......

Poo On My Shoe

Summer Time

this is a simple tune.... I tried to keep it very light when recording it.

Basic features:
2 vocals panned at 11 & 1
2 acoustic guitars panned at 9 & 3
bass guitar panned at 12
drums panned at 11 & 1

I used a light Lexicon verb on the over all mix rather than on each track. This adds a lightness to the song and keeps it even.

the only thing that had a bit more effect was the tamborine.

I tried to keep the drums in the background to give the guitars alot of room to breathe.

Compression was added at a rate of 2.5 to 1

New BBS Member
Dave Fender

Last edited:
Nice little song I thought. I like the singer's voice. I thought the DI'd guitar sound worked well in this case, though I'd be curious to hear what a mic'd guitar would sound like on this too. Nice smooth harmonies.

The vocals are getting covered just a bit by the guitars. They don't quite have their spot in the mix yet.

Some syncing issues with the guitars. Some were certainly intentional, some others I don't think were.

Little mistakes in the begining? Like around :06.

You might be able to improve the bass sound. As it is it's not too bad, but I think could be a bit more defined.

Little plosive at around 1:15 on the word "park."

Again, nice little song.

Really nice song

Very cool - excellent lead vocal!! I mean excellent!!
I agree with MMM about the Di'd gits - not an issue for me. (more on this later)

Putting the drums where you did was a good idea. The guitars are definitely in "breathing room." And after all, aren't drummers there fur US?! The guitar players!! (Man, am I gonna get flamed!)

The bass has a nice tone - was that DI'd, too? It could use some more definition - but I can't tell you how to do it - I keep messing with the bass on every recording.

All around really nice tune - good concept and songwriting. Very likable melody line.

So here's a little philosophy about acoustic/electric, DI'd guitars. I don't really have a problem with them. A lot of folks out here will mention that but I think the DI'd A/C guitar has a place in a band. It's not a bad sound - it's just different. In this tune they sound really nice - just my opinion.

Nice work!!
Milan

My opinion

Nice tune. I think the guitars could drop back in mix a little. That will help the vocals, drums and bass come up a bit.

Overall it's a nice sound, good playing and nice vocals. I like the spacial setting you attained.

Very smooth. Too much so.

The cymbals/drums have no body, and the mix seems very compressed/limited/flat overall. My meters hardly left the yellow. Too low on the threshold? Too slow on the release?

I'd rather have the guitars hold their own without sacrificing the dynamics.;)

I'm a big fan of the single 'verb approach. Just a bit to glue everything together.:cool:

The drum samples aren't too shabby. This sounds like something I would have written last year at the the end of summer. Cool vocals. I like your style, Poo.

Back