Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy Jr.

DRMS_7888

www.myspace.com/tylerhoganmusic

about the famous serial killer.

I tried a lot of new things on this recording. I have a marimba home from school (still on Christmas break), so I've been using that a lot. Also, I wanted to make the vocals a bit electrical (somewhat Kid A'ish). Although, the recording was made with 100% acoustic instruments.

Please let me know what you think of the mix and overall recording quality.

One of my favorite songs of the past few years; sad, beautiful, and perverse at the same time.

Hard to compete with the original. Your recording sounds cleans, at least on my laptop speakers. The timing of some of your delays is a little strange - not sync'd to the tempo. Not sure if that was intentional or not. I'm not sure I like all the effects - kind of gimmicky, as I think the song stands pretty well on its own. However, I like the fact that you didn't just try to make an exact copy of the original.

Never heard the original so can't compare....

Really nice vocal delivery - lead and harmony...the falsettos are great.
Guitar recorded well. The whole thing sounded pretty good for MySpace player.

A few mix items that came to mind while listening...
- the distortion effects on the vocals were a bit harsh at times.
- I'm not sure if you really need the efects - you have a great voice on its own
- the echo was a bit off time as mentioned (too fast maybe?)
- the backup marimba seemed a bit boomy; maybe trim down the bottom end a tad
- everything was a bit centered and could use some panning to give it a bit of width

Overall though you have a great voice and guitar sound and it was enjoyable to listen to....

:) :D :) :D

Thanks. I just wanted to try out some of the crappy plugins I downloaded for Audacity. Some of them no doubt sound rather cheesy and whatnot, but I just wanted to try some new things and have fun with it.

The marimba is a hard beast for recording and for mixing. I found it very hard to get more tone than mallet strikes. In the end, I think I completely forgot to give it any sort of EQ. I will have to ask my professor when I get back what some good strategies for miking and mixing a marimba are.

Back