studioviols

+ + + 'SHE CANT SAY' + + +

SOUNDCLICK.COM
----------------------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/studioviolsmusic.htm

NOWHERERADIO.COM
-----------------------------------
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3196&alid=-1

This song is currently at #9 on the SoundClick.com Alternative Charts, and is holding steady at #4 on the SoundClick.com Alt. PuNK ! Charts :D

The scratch vocal has carried it so far, I've just replaced that first mix.

I got a re-mix of all the foundation tracks from Scott Kern, (my collab partner from artistcollaboration.com), after he listened to my scratch vocal. Scott did the bass, guitars and drums and the current instrument arrangement.

I've retracked all the vocals. I've completely re-mixed the vocals. I also added outro hooking vocals.

Please remember as you assist me with this mix by reviewing here, that I do not have access to Scott's foundation bass, guitars and drum tracks.

I've paid careful attention to vox levels, and compression of the vox per many comments on this song's first thread here in the MP3 Clinic. I think you will enjoy this re-release.

A violin, (punky violin), solo and fills will be added soon, maybe some cello also.

The solo spot over the chorus material is open for collaboration.

Thanks to the clinic and the membership for all their help.

Last edited:
hey,

The mix for the instruments sound real good, but I still think the vocal isn't sitting well. A bit too loud, and..umm..it just sounds like the vocal is in a dif room from the rest of the band. But, besides that, everything is good. Oh, and I still think you sound like Roger Waters:D

good job

Al

have to agree...could be a great song...kind of radio head/weezer-ish (rh being sweater song)...but those vocals need to be tamed down BIG TIME...especially in the chorus and bridge.

Ah man, the lyrics are great. Nothing like an obvious madman voicing his opinion in song. :D

Can't really say anything mix-wise, I wasn't offended by the vocal pitch as much as the others.

Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy stalks girl...

Good ol' American song subject matter. :)

Kidding. Good stuff. I like the quirkiness of the track. Lots of pent up energy. I would agree with the comment on the vocal. It sounds just a little out of place sonically. Maybe a touch of reverb and just slightly backing off, volume wise...

Very cool.

I think the basic truth of the matter is that, no matter how you mix the song, the vocal is not going to fit the backing track. It's like Peter Lorre reciting "Mein Kampf" over the backing track to "You Light Up My Life." The example is way too extreme on both ends, but I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

The vocal is too demented, paranoid and unpolished for the clean pop punk track. You need some skankier guitar backing like the ones found on King Missile ("Detachable Penis") or Cramps songs.

I didn't have a problem with the disparity of poles between the vox and music. I did hear the comments listed above concerning the vocal not "sitting in the same room" as the music.

Have you tried adding a little verb back over the final mix to try and glue it together? Sometimes can do the trick.

Q.

A121:
----------------------
That I sound like Roger Waters ... that's good huh ? :D . Thanks for listening, I'd love to do this one in CHINESE ! , seriously, it could be an underground hit in the discos in China ! Yes, the verse vox especially needs some refinement in the mix.

terrible_buddhi :
----------------------
I always like to start a mix with lots of headroom for the vocal, especially a lyric driven pop tune ... one that tells a story, that the listener really needs to be able to understand the words easily ... and I AGREE with you, I have got to do something with the vox.

I would like the verse 1 and 2 vox to be more hushed. But it's a baritone performance, and it gets lost easily in the backing track mix, so I'm going to work with this mix as I look for collaborators to Re-Track the backing mix. I think some serious delay will get some of the words repeated in the spots here the instruments have some pause ...

lynx :
-------------------
Yes ... I was a madman during that period in my life, there is good background info on the song at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/Lyrics.cfm?BandID=72256&songid=665554 , I think you'll enjoy reading that. Thanks for the listening.

DrumChris :
--------------------
I did back off and add a 'touch' of verb ... but that's not working. I think the verse vox needs some serious effectx, maybe some light flange or phasing, or a combo of them all, I'm going to play with my Lexicon PSP for the next mix. I think Skully's post after yours is very insightful. Thankx for the listen, glad you enjoy.

Skully :
---------------------
Thank you for assisting me in defining the real 'genre position' of the backing track. It's 'Clean Pop Punk'. And I agree, I should be looking for collaborators with cramps and detachable penises to Re-Track the guitars, bass and drums ... and I am looking. Thankx for listening.

Dethska :
---------------------
Glad you liked it ... I'd like to hear a Ska - Hip Hop arrangement of this

Qwerty :
-------------------
YOU, are why I am in this clinic. There really are so many damn things to do ... and this is one that totally slipped my mind.
Of course this is an important technique to attempt ! I've tested this and it helps A LOT. All it took was a tiny touch on the whole mix, and it really brings it all into the 'same room'. Thanks for the reminder fellow board member !

Studioviols - Anything I said, you probably posted it in here and forgot ages ago.......

:) Glad I could help.

Q.

lmao.........

ok everyone has covered the comments about the vocals being way too on top of the music so I won't get into that.
The vocals are hillarious. This sort of reminds me of Jack black/tenacious D in places. I could hear kermit the frog singing the beginning lol.
Thanks for the laugh before i go to work.

This is different dude. I like different a lot. Several of the cymbal crashes exceed the space of the drumkit and the vocal is a bit loud, maybe verb touch to take it back and keep the level there. A touch more bass/kickdrum for me. I like this..

There is a new mix available, vox levels are down substantially.

SOUNDCLICK.COM - 128kbps
----------------------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/studioviolsmusic.htm

NOWHERERADIO.COM - 192kbps
-----------------------------------
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3196&alid=-1

Qwerty :
---------------
Adding the 'Mastering Reverb' helped a lot ! The vox is much more 'in the same room' as the backing tracks, expecially the chorus.

Wireneck :
---------------
Kermit make BACON outa' this beyotch ! Thanks for the listen, the vox levels are down now, although I always reserve headroom on the vocal as I continue to develop a mix, and I will be adding punky violin and cello.

Toki :
--------------
Thanks for the listening, I hope the new audiocard is working out for you !

Yeah. This is a lot better. I still think the main vox should come down some and/or maybe some more verb. The verb part @ 1:20 sits good. Nice addition of verb since I heard this last. I think some more could be in order. Song sounds so much better now that I can hear it all together. Before I was too distracted by the vocal volume. I think you are real close. Great work and very cool song/vocals.

Oh great, I download it a coupla days ago, listen last night, jot down my review to post here...

and you go and post a NEW VERSION!!!

No problem, downloading again now... I'll get back to you...

Cheers,
Mscmln.

HI SV,

Yep, nmuch better mix now. Only slight thing, there seems to be a loss of stereo width during the chorus? I think perhaps the one of the panned guitars is getting lost during the chorus, and this is shifting the whole thing towards the centre. Or maybe it's just me!

Cheers,
Mscmln.

Back