StudioB stuff submitted for your perusal & comments

I listened to Bubble Shuffle:
A little too much verb for my taste, but the playing is really tight. The guitar has the highs boosted a bit too much, it's a little straining on the ears.

If you bring the volume of the lead guitar down a hair and back off on the verb, it's a really nice, relaxing tune.

Welcome to the forum!

Listened to "Bubble" too.

Nice to see a Carlton´s song here...love this album (On Solid Ground).
Rythmn section and keyboards excellent.
About guitar, some things:stereo effect (reverb, or chorus) gives a "sparse" sensation ,almost out of phase.I personally would like to listen it more "focused" in the center channel
And (my taste) needs a bit more mids (around 800-1k).Maybe some compression too.

Great performance congrats!

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

CIRO/Rokket

Thanks for chiming in... much, much appreciated.
I can't tell you how much I need the feedback. I'll go back in and see if I can make some changes and I'll let you know when it's posted.

cheers

b

I´m far from home (and monitors)for while.I´m downloading now and will listen at night.
You have another pretty good (vocal) song as "main" on your SC page, awesome harmonies...Congrats!
And CIRO! DAMN! What's going on with your stuff man? What instrument(s) are you playing?

Tks, Barry !(for adding to your SC station too)
Are my compositions, it´s me on acoustic and eletric guitars and arrangements.

Ciro

I couldn´t perceive a noticiable difference , still good (as the first mix).

Stereo effect (or micing?) on solo guitar is not my "cup of tea", I would like to listen gtr much more in the "center" channel, my taste.

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

i'm still listening to your soundclick page. man, this is pure, clean recording. i can't get over how good this sounds. are you sure you're an amateur???

it really holds up and fits the genre--metheny/mehldau, alex machacek, bill bruford, and allan holdsworth have all put out recent discs that have a similar sonic vibe to what you're doing.

i can't possibly stress enough what a great job you've done here.

Hey Drossfile,
Wow. You are so kind. I really appreciate your compliments but I'm still searching for something better. I am an amateur, although I was a full time bassist for 25 years. I quit persuing music as a livelyhood when I came to the amazing realization that it was easier to work and pay my bills than it was to avoid my creditors! I've been fortunate to play music with some great players in my life and some of it stuck.

Anywayz. I'm sincerely humbled by your comments and I look forward to finding out more about what you're into musically. The main reason I get on these boards is to meet kindred spirits and learn & grow. Knowing when the music is sucking and when it's not is an important part of the process. Honestly, I've worked on each of these tunes for so long I don't get to hear them, if you know what I mean.

cheers

barry

Hi, Barry!

Let me talk about two songs I downloaded (my favorites):

Down in Brazil
Fly by Night.

Sounds fantastic! What a great job, drums, bass (now, after read a bit more I now you´re primarily a bass player), keyboards,guitars, all
sounds veeery good!Congratulations.Mixing job pretty good too, you have a nice room and some great monitors, that, for the quality of mixes, are properly calibrated (+room) .

As you´re taking some advices, my "humble" comments about two things (my taste) could be improved:

1. Vocal on Down in Brazil is a bit over in the 5k range, probably a wide Q, not so sure.Rest of mix is perfect.

2. My taste, you could up a bit the high frequencies on Fly by night, something around 5 and up.Rest of mix, perfect.Love the groove (BD/bass):cool:

The other 32 songs are excellent too.

Seems your wife is playing the keyboards? (based on the pics)

All synth job is awesome!

Who are the other musicians?"Played" drums on these tunes I talked about?

Well, congrats again!

Ciro

Damn great musicianship!
Jazz isn't really my kind of music but I respect the quality;) Tell us how you recorded this...is it all live? Sure sounds that way. Real cool stuff....keep 'em coming.

Cheers
Joe

Hi, Barry!

Let me talk about two songs I downloaded (my favorites):

Down in Brazil
Fly by Night.

Sounds fantastic! What a great job, drums, bass (now, after read a bit more I now you´re primarily a bass player), keyboards,guitars, all
sounds veeery good!Congratulations.Mixing job pretty good too, you have a nice room and some great monitors, that, for the quality of mixes, are properly calibrated (+room) .

As you´re taking some advices, my "humble" comments about two things (my taste) could be improved:

1. Vocal on Down in Brazil is a bit over in the 5k range, probably a wide Q, not so sure.Rest of mix is perfect.

2. My taste, you could up a bit the high frequencies on Fly by night, something around 5 and up.Rest of mix, perfect.Love the groove (BD/bass):cool:

The other 32 songs are excellent too.

Seems your wife is playing the keyboards? (based on the pics)

All synth job is awesome!

Who are the other musicians?"Played" drums on these tunes I talked about?

Well, congrats again!

Ciro

Greetings CIRO,

I typed a long, thoughtful and well crafted reply last night and then managed to lose it by closing the wrong window when i was link hunting. figgers.

Anyway, the digest version follows...

DOWN IN BRAZIL
You inspired me to open this one back up and I discovered that the original vocal track was crap. It was swimming in hi mids. So, I retracked it and tried to get closer on the basic track. I posted the results on SC. Of course I couldn't resist doing a few other tweaks, but the results of following your guidance seems to have made for a big improvement. I'm curious if you agree. I'm wondering if my problem might be partly the fact I have tinnitus in both ears. It's hard to compensate for faulty equipment on that level!

FLY BY NIGHT
This one is a bastard unfortunately. I tracked this a couple years ago (when I knew far less than I do today) and I never did like the mix. Unfortunately the file doesn't seem to want to open anymore... I think I need to let it go. Maybe I'll redo the tune altogether some day. I do agree with your comments and next pass should be a lot better.

RE: The other players...
I posted a little about them in a previous post but I wanted to add a couple links... Michael Stricklin has a CD on CDBaby at http://cdbaby.com/cd/michaelstricklin
We played together in an Indianapolis jazz project many years ago called TIME OUT and made an album called KINDRED SPIRITS. I'm going to post some of that stuff on SC since the CD is long sold out. He's an amazing player and great person. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get him back in here lately.

The advanced keyboard work is Kevin Anker, who tours with R&B singer Tad Robinson. You can check out Tad and Kevin here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPXSPPjuc8

They both play on WINDOWS & LUSH LIFE, and Michael brought in an original, FIRST KISS and also played on WHAT'S GOIN' ON.

I have a few other Indy guns scheduled to come in in the next few weeks. More on that later. But I can tell you that I'm very excited about the prospects!

RE: The drum tracks...
It's a bunch of different sample sources (MOTIF/RMX/BFD...) all programmed by hand and the newest and best drum stuff is coming from MIXOSAURUS EXPERT VIRTUAL DRUMS... Which continues to blow me away! You can find them at http://www.mixosaurus.com/

Re: My wife at the keyboards...
She plays classical music and is a tremendous reader, but she'd lost in the world of improv so she hasn't made it onto any tracks... YET!

Beyond that...
Huge thanks for your feedback and guidance. It's very much appreciated!
I'm a huge fan of your music and mixing. Everyone should check out CIRO's SC stuff... it's amazing! http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=589108

and also "OPEN STATION" at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=562934

I'm listening to "CARIBE" as I type. The playing is tight and the mix is even tighter! Amazing stuff! I'm interested in knowing how that stuff was recorded!!

cheers

barry

Damn great musicianship!
Jazz isn't really my kind of music but I respect the quality;) Tell us how you recorded this...is it all live? Sure sounds that way. Real cool stuff....keep 'em coming.

Cheers
Joe

Hey Joe,
Welcome to the thread and thanks for the kind words!
Actually none of this stuff is recorded live. It's all multi tracked one instrument at a time and the drums are all VI.

My recording setup is basically...

GUITARS - HSS Strat/Cyber Twin amp direct from the stereo balanced outs.

BASSES - MTD fretted & fretless / Avalon U5 DI

KEYBOARDS - MOTIF 7 / KURZWEIL PC1x controller/synth/samples / Dual AVALON U5 DIs

DRUMS - Previously MO/RMX/BFD/BFD2 but currently MIXOSAURUS EXPERT VIRTUAL DRUMS

All passed into LOGIC PRO STUDIO via Apogee Ensemble which is not perfect but with some cajoling it does the job.

VOCALS - I use a Apex 460 (which is now for all practical purposes an AKG C-12) I had modified by Dave Thomas in Vancouver or a Neumann U-87 into an AVALON 737SP preamp. Interestingly, the ADVANCED AUDIO modded Apex 460 usually beats the Neumann in a head to head duel!
APEX with mod - $500 (and many months of waiting!)
Neumann U-87 - $3200
AKG C-12 - $4999!!!

Inside the box I use NI B4II / NI AKOUSTIC PIANO / ATMOSPHERE (ugh! many issues... I'm hopeful the release of OMNISPHERE will solve my problems with SPECTRASONICS!) and the full compliment of LOGIC onboard instruments which are pretty damn good IMHO!

My favorite "secret" weapons are a big stack of UNIVERSAL AUDIO plugs and three UAD1 cards. There are too many plugs to list here but they all are amazing! I couldn't live without these gems!

And finally a pair of JBL LSR 4328Ps - with Warfdale Diamond 8.2 Pro-Actives for alternates and Logitec computer speakers as the dumb down monitors.

That's about it!

I'd love to discuss setups, AD/DA, VIs, mics & pres so let's keep this going!
cheers

barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioblogic
I'm listening to "CARIBE" as I type. The playing is tight and the mix is even tighter! Amazing stuff! I'm interested in knowing how that stuff was recorded!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioblogic
I'd love to discuss setups, AD/DA, VIs, mics & pres so let's keep this going!

Me too...

But I really don´t know about the mics and pres used on these recordings.
Recorded years ago, Adat (no software, no DAW, no plugins).All recorded in a nice studio, great engineer and lots of hardware gear on mix (reverbs, compressors...).

Caribe ... I tried lots of mid priced guitars but ended with a cheap guitar with excellent acoustics (that´s what matter in the end...).

The eletric guitars you listen were recorded with my old "frankstrat" (semihollow,cedar/mahogany/ EMG pickups).Solos are 90% the EMG 85 on the bridge. Plugged into a Fender The Twin (the one w/ "red buttons"), and miked with 3 mics (I was never satisfied,and still...:D).

Far from home again...will listen the remix as soon as possible.:)

Back