Student In Need Of Help!

laura_v

So here's my problem. In Jan. of 2009 I'm applying to a university for a music technology course. One of their requirements is that I have to have a portfolio of mixing jobs that I've done in the past. The problem with that is...I have none. Well no good ones. I have some raw files that a friend's band sent me and I tried to clean it up and do some rearranging but the recording is horrible and everything is just on one channel making things very hard. Almost impossible. No matter what I do and how much I try to clean up the 'song'...it's just not working. I've begged and pleaded with friends but no one knows a band that would give me files. I was thinking of making a song completely out of samples but I don't think that's what the school is looking for. I was about to give up on this whole school thing but a producer/engineer (who has years under his belt) said I was going in the right direction wth the school. I just need help with my portfolio! (Even he said that all I needed was a demo). So if anyone could please find it in their heart to help me (and some me some stuff to work with), that would be great. I won't post anything online and it doesn't have to be perfect. I just need tracks to really practice with. Thanks!

If you look through some of the old posts in here people have posted files for mixing contests. They are usually well recorded. That might be a good place to start considering the files are already uploaded to the internet.

I'll help you with your file mixing. Just so happens I'm about to redo a musical that I wrote a few years ago. It has a lot of diverse styles and will fill out your portfolio. What equipment do you have? What DAW, Sonar, Cubase, MOTU?
Can you load wav files into your system or just MP3's?

You may want to check and make sure that the requirements are for mixing only. Most schools want something you tracked as well.

You're doing the right thing starting early. It will give you a lot of time for feedback/revisions. Out of curiosity, which university?

Back