"The Strip" (from "The Time is Magic")

from 0 to 1:19 its just perfect, but at 1:19 there is some "sound-drop". its getting a bit small compared to the intro. this should be all big or maybe vice-verse (small intro expanding to a big sound). the vocal sound is also a bit sibilant during the louder parts.
just my 2 cents...but i think its also working like that. great song, great voice, great performance! i really like it!

:guitar: everyone of those guitar sounds (acoustic too) is fabulous on my Adam a7x's:D

You b da top dog bro :cool: awesome stuff all around.

Would you share what Acoustic guitar and mic(s) you used to get that acoustic sound?

Last edited:
This is a great little tune, superbly constructed and executed. The vocals have good clarity all the way through but at 1.20 where it gets busy, things seem to get cloudy, the drums are a bit buried, and the sound of them doesn't do the song justice imo. Otherwise totally top shelf

ay karumba!
thanks for commenting....
sound drop. yep. i kinda knew that would happen, based on experience of previous tunes that i open up with my Taylor 414.
it records so big. you almost have to do audio tricks to get electric to stand up against it.....
but it also depends on the playback system.....
for example, in the car stereo, the cd playback of this song sits real nice, with the first section, against the 2nd.
in my home stereo (yamaha natural sound components and Infinity Research Standard towers) it also isn't too distinctly different, but in my actual monitors (KRK) the sound is different.
i just rode the fence between about 4 different playback system, to figure out what i wanted there.
good ear.
the sibilence, is due to the ADK Hamburg i used on the vocals on this particular song.
i tried to de ess it, and that was as far as i was able to take it without losing the presence.
picking the right mic for the right job, i'm learing, is as important as the signal chain.

pdp
thanks for listening..... that taylor really records well,
it's a Taylor 414, full size. i used several mics for the several takes....
a sm57, a AT4033, and a ADK Hamburg, all single mic/single takes, all pointed about at the base of the neck at the body joint.
mics run thru a A Designs Audio MP-1 mic pre, a DBX compressor, and straight to convertor.

bulls hit
appreciate the kind words..
i had just had to let the drums sit back a bit..
i tried some other mixes, that had the drums louder, but i wanted the rhythm guitars featured more there.
even tho they're panned hard left and right, there was some blurring.
i should have used completely different guitars for that part, but used the same guitar, but with different amp settings.
that probably would have changed the dynamic even more.

Back