Straight From My Heart (original)

Very nice singing. There is some sort of strange effect on the vocal. Like a chorus, or delay or something. It's a little subtle, but I can hear it. I'm not sure if I like it or not. My first instinct for a mix like this is to keep things natural sounding - especially in the vocal. But it seems to work ok.

On the non-vocal tracks, there is an overall clean-ness that isn't sitting just right with me. There needs to be something in there dirty-ing things up a bit. Clean rhythm guitars, clean lead guitars, clean drums, clean bass, etc.

The levels on everything sound very good. Everything is coming through and is doing its part.

There is some sort of strange effect on the vocal. Like a chorus, or delay or something. It's a little subtle.

I hear that, too. It sounds like the mic is picking up his headphone mix...
If it's not that and it's something you did intentionally, op, I'd remove it. It's not working. I also agree everything is too clean.

The snare is a little low, too.

Very nice singing. There is some sort of strange effect on the vocal. Like a chorus, or delay or something. It's a little subtle, but I can hear it. I'm not sure if I like it or not. My first instinct for a mix like this is to keep things natural sounding - especially in the vocal. But it seems to work ok.

On the non-vocal tracks, there is an overall clean-ness that isn't sitting just right with me. There needs to be something in there dirty-ing things up a bit. Clean rhythm guitars, clean lead guitars, clean drums, clean bass, etc.

The levels on everything sound very good. Everything is coming through and is doing its part.
Thank you for the feedback TripleM. It's not the first time that someone mention that there is some kind of chorus effect in my vocals....maybe I have some kind of internal build in chorus....there are "only" 2 different delay (slap and a long del) and plate reverb (ValhallaPlate). I have doubled the lead vocal in choruses (not in verses) but the db track's level is very low, -10-12 db vs main track. I have to listen to the raw tracks if it's the headphones mix that is causing it.

I agree that I should do some dirty-ing on other track. Will check what I could do.

Btw. Valhalla Plate is the only reverb used in the mix. I bought it a while ago and wanted to test it on every track. I'm not sure if plate is the right reverb type on every track??

Thanks again.

I hear that, too. It sounds like the mic is picking up his headphone mix...
If it's not that and it's something you did intentionally, op, I'd remove it. It's not working. I also agree everything is too clean.

The snare is a little low, too.

Thank you Nola. Please, read my previous reply. :thumbs up:

Sounds good. I didn't find the backing tracks too clean. The lack of dynamics and aggressive compression/limiting and volume boosting seemed odd for a song like this.

I think the snare and hi hat could come up a little in volume. I don't hear a chorus issue with vocal, what others may hear is the harmony combined with the delays giving a sound that almost sounds like phasing.

Sounds good. I didn't find the backing tracks too clean. The lack of dynamics and aggressive compression/limiting and volume boosting seemed odd for a song like this.

Thank tou Robus! Do you think there is too much compression/limiting in general/mixbus or on some individual instruments?

I think the snare and hi hat could come up a little in volume. I don't hear a chorus issue with vocal, what others may hear is the harmony combined with the delays giving a sound that almost sounds like phasing.

Thank you mjbphotos! I have doubled the backvox and panned the db-tracks differently so that may also cause yte "phasing". I'll check those Hats / snare.

Like others have said..........there's something still strange and not too appealing about the main vocal. Not only is the sort of phasing or doubling effect (whatever it is) sort of disconcerting...........the actual quality of the main vocal seems a little low.............not your voice but the recording itself. What mic was used to record that vocal? I do like the rest of the song. Well composed and some really nice changes. I think the rest of the mix is fine. Just my 2 cents.

Like others have said..........there's something still strange and not too appealing about the main vocal. Not only is the sort of phasing or doubling effect (whatever it is) sort of disconcerting...........the actual quality of the main vocal seems a little low.............not your voice but the recording itself. What mic was used to record that vocal? I do like the rest of the song. Well composed and some really nice changes. I think the rest of the mix is fine. Just my 2 cents.

I used a "new" 3U Audio Warbler MK IV mic into the Apogee Duet 2. Warbler is the first transformer mic that I've had and I think that it sounds a bit "boxed" or "closed" (sorry couldn't find any other words to descripe..) compared to my previous mics without a transformer. But I think the raw files sound decent so there might be something else.....

Ah man love the chord progression in the chorus. Mix-wise. . . there's an effect on the vocals (maybe pitch correction artifacts or something?) that sounds kind of odd. I think with less compression on the master the track would breathe a lot better. Everything sounds great, the levels are good, I think the mastering step might need to be revisited, maybe try a lighter touch.

Ah man love the chord progression in the chorus. Mix-wise. . . there's an effect on the vocals (maybe pitch correction artifacts or something?) that sounds kind of odd. I think with less compression on the master the track would breathe a lot better. Everything sounds great, the levels are good, I think the mastering step might need to be revisited, maybe try a lighter touch.

Yep. It's a mellower song, it needs those dynamics. You've got it mastered like a Metallica or Red Hot Chili Peppers tune.

not much to add that has not been mentioned, I do not hear the vocal thing some have mentioned. and I like the clean sound, it's a mellow song so I think it fits well. the hat could come up a bit, If I was going to dirty up anything, maybe the lead guitar parts. I like the song, the backing vocals blend nicely. :thumbs up:

I like the guitar reverbs. They are somewhat aggressive but tastefully done and fitting. Nice arrangement. Nice harmonizing. I hear the vocal effect too but I don't mind it - it adds a little intrigue.

Thanks easlern. I try to make a new mix today with less compression / limiting. Before I do that, should I upload the mp3 file to this thread to be able to compare it to the compressed / converted soundcloud file?

not much to add that has not been mentioned, I do not hear the vocal thing some have mentioned. and I like the clean sound, it's a mellow song so I think it fits well. the hat could come up a bit, If I was going to dirty up anything, maybe the lead guitar parts. I like the song, the backing vocals blend nicely. :thumbs up:

Atkron205, thank you for the comment.

---------- Update ----------

I like the guitar reverbs. They are somewhat aggressive but tastefully done and fitting. Nice arrangement. Nice harmonizing. I hear the vocal effect too but I don't mind it - it adds a little intrigue.

Thank you ibleedburgundy, I'm glad you liked it.

Back