Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stones Cover-"Live With Me"

Thanks

Stones Cover-"Live With Me"

Sign in to disable this ad
    Listening to a lot of old Stones jams latley and thought this one would be fun to cover.My vocals suck as usual but it was fun to do.Any mix/arrangment critiques are welcome as doing these covers really helps me with learning how to mix my own stuff ...

Live With Me
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    Mix sounds ok. Way too much reverb in the mix for my taste though, especially on vocals. Levels are decent, though I would do something about trying to mix the bass a bit better. Maybe lower the bass levels a bit....Don't know if you are doing this, but referencing the original track usually helps.

I think you should aim to make the whole mix sound "dryer", would prob sound better, and give it a more rolling stones vibe.

Thanks
    Ahhh reverb!!I always seem to use to much of this in my mixes!Don't know how it gets so "wet"...maybe cause i keep adding a "little bit more...then a little bit more..." ...
    Agree about the bass as well...this is the 2nd mixdown I did of the tune and my 1st one was kinda lacking in the bottom end so I think I over compensated with kicking the bass up in the mix.
    Thanks for your ears...I really appreciate the feedback!
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    No prob.

Reverb is dangerous. When in doubt, use less then more. What are you using to record btw, and do you have one reverb on an auxillary track sent to all the tracks you wanted reverb on?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieballsss
    No prob.

Reverb is dangerous. When in doubt, use less then more. What are you using to record btw, and do you have one reverb on an auxillary track sent to all the tracks you wanted reverb on?

I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3, drum loops from smart loops,Line 6 variax guitar and pod xtlive,Peavey T-40 bass.I had all my vocal tracks going through an aux. bus with verb and a bit of delay.I also added some verb to the drum loop track.I think I have a Phil Spector wall of sound complex or something cause evreything I do seems to just sound very clutterd and dense.
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    This track sounds like a Kiss demo.

Keep the same reverb settings on the vocals but up the clean : verbed/ delayed output ratio, and you'll just about have Ace Frehley nailed. Reverb on the drums is just about right IMO; kill it entirely on the bass, that should be right up in your face. The guitar just needs a tiny bit of room, except on the solos... cheese works for that I think. Alternately, just add a second guitar for rhythm that's completely clean and leave the lead guitar alone.

*edit* All that's IF you want to make it sound even more like Kiss. If you don't, pay it no mind.
    Discord -- irritating the crap out of the rhythm section since 1988 or thereabouts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Discord

Keep the same reverb settings on the vocals but up the clean : verbed/ delayed output ratio, and you'll just about have Ace Frehley nailed. Reverb on the drums is just about right IMO; kill it entirely on the bass, that should be right up in your face. The guitar just needs a tiny bit of room, except on the solos... cheese works for that I think. Alternately, just add a second guitar for rhythm that's completely clean and leave the lead guitar alone.

*edit* All that's IF you want to make it sound even more like Kiss. If you don't, pay it no mind.
    Why would he want to make it sound like a kiss song, assumption is the mother of all fuck ups

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Discord

I dig alot of the old Kiss albums up to about Destroyer,so I could see how some Ace slips into my playing...I'm gonna try your suggestions and see how it sounds...Thanks alot for the feedback!!
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieballsss
    Why would he want to make it sound like a kiss song, assumption is the mother of all fuck ups
    I think maybe he was talking about the raw basic sounding vibe KISS had on there early albums..
    When I do my covers I try to do them in the spirit of the original,but my own interpretation..I have a very broad taste in music so I try and convey that in my playing if I can.So I guess what I'm trying to say is I try and capture a mood or feeling rather then try to emulate a bands exact sound.
    Lacking focus

Thanks
    Alright Variaxman does the stones, cool.
    I like the way you mix up the covers, your vox sound extra obnoxious on this one
    With all the verb it sounds like a live song or even a demo. Like a band jamming away in the basement studio. I always like the sound of reverb on drums, with that much reverb on the vox you sound faraway from the mic though, you might want to increase the volume level a bit or I think what Discord said would work pretty sweet.

I use GTP3 too, and for the new song I'm working on I had to click on the "17-32" button for the tracks. When I got the program a year ago I was thinking "Yeah right, I'll never use that many"

YEah back to the song, fun listen!

Thread Information