Stones cover..."Dandelion"

Sounds pretty good to me. There are some things that I think could be different, but I don't know the original or what choices you made to stick with the original style or whatever. One thing I notice is the toms pop a little too much. They're awesome and I love your new drum recording technique, but I think you can reel them back in a little for this mix. The kick/bass relationship is fantastic. The vocals are a little subdued to me. I think they can be a little clearer and a little out front more. As usual all of the performances and sounds are great, which gets you about 95% past everyone else before you even start to mix. Well done. I'm gonna go check the original now. I'm just a slightly-more-than-casual Stones fan. I got one of theirs on the back-burner I've been thinking of doing myself just for fun.

I like it. Has the same vibe as the original. (One of my favourite Stones B-Sides.)

Everyone has already chipped in with the ins and outs of the mix, I'll just add a :thumbs up:

Sounds pretty good to me. There are some things that I think could be different, but I don't know the original or what choices you made to stick with the original style or whatever. One thing I notice is the toms pop a little too much. They're awesome and I love your new drum recording technique, but I think you can reel them back in a little for this mix. The kick/bass relationship is fantastic. The vocals are a little subdued to me. I think they can be a little clearer and a little out front more. As usual all of the performances and sounds are great, which gets you about 95% past everyone else before you even start to mix. Well done. I'm gonna go check the original now. I'm just a slightly-more-than-casual Stones fan. I got one of theirs on the back-burner I've been thinking of doing myself just for fun.

Thanx Gergles.

It's only the second or maybe third tune I do since I started micing my toms, so it's very possible that I got carried away with their volume. I can definitely reel them in. I was a 4-mic man for so long that this tom mic thing is like a new toy.

Vocals can come up, too. I can't use the excuse that this is how it is on the original, because it wasn't my intention and they probably are louder on the original. I haven't listen to this since I posted it a few days ago, so later tonight Ill listen with fresh ears again and probably hear all the issues you mentioned, as well as a few others I'm sure.

Thanx man. :cool:

I like it. Has the same vibe as the original. (One of my favourite Stones B-Sides.)

Everyone has already chipped in with the ins and outs of the mix, I'll just add a :thumbs up:
Thanx MC. Most of my fave Stones tunes are B-sides or lesser known ones. Even though I sang "Start Me Up" and "Satisfaction" in almost every cover band I ever played in, you couldn't pay me to ever record them. :D

I did a cover of "Connection" a long time ago. It came out pretty awesome. :D

Holy crap. I had to go listen. A Stones tune I actually never heard or heard OF before. Weird.

Can't say I missed much. That's pretty brutal. :eek:

Another superior job Rami!

Not to derail but I am just starting to track drums, despite my pitiful playing, and I really like the way your toms sound. Are you muffling the resonant heads at all? Do you have a thread elsewhere describing you set-up for tracking, including how you prep your kit? I see you are miking you toms now which I won't be doing, but my toms just ring out too much for a good recorded sound. Last question is, though I've replaced all the batter heads and they tune up nicely, but the resonant heads are way old - probably original to the kit from late 1970s!! Will new resonant heads help me out?

Again, maybe should have PM'd you but wanted to refer to the sound of the toms on this tune.

Another superior job Rami!

Not to derail but I am just starting to track drums, despite my pitiful playing, and I really like the way your toms sound. Are you muffling the resonant heads at all? Do you have a thread elsewhere describing you set-up for tracking, including how you prep your kit? I see you are miking you toms now which I won't be doing, but my toms just ring out too much for a good recorded sound. Last question is, though I've replaced all the batter heads and they tune up nicely, but the resonant heads are way old - probably original to the kit from late 1970s!! Will new resonant heads help me out?

Again, maybe should have PM'd you but wanted to refer to the sound of the toms on this tune.
Hey Magoo. It's all good, we can talk about this here.

OK, yeah. You don't need to change the resonant heads as often as the top heads, but 45 years might be pushing it. :D

Depending how often you play, I'd say that you should change your bottom heads once for every 3 times you change your top heads, more or less.

I personally don't put any dampening, no Kotex, wallets, Gorilla Snot, Moon gel or anything else on my toms. If you find they ring too much, try thicker or even hydraulic skins on the top. Personally, I've always used Remo Pinstripes on top and clear Remo Ambassadors on the bottom. I know a lot of guys, like GregL, prefer Evans, so he can probably help with which ones he uses.

If you're not going to mic your toms, which I only started doing recently, you can still get a good sound, depending on the type of music you play. One trick I used to do was I'd copy my overhead tracks on new tracks, and then go through and cut out everything but the toms. So I ended up with a "pseudo" tom track that I could EQ and process however I wanted. It sounds like a long, tedious process, but when you think of it, you're really only hitting your toms a few times a song, unless you're doing some kind of jungle beat. I found I needed to do that to get my toms to not sound wimpy with the Glyn Johns set up. But now that I mic them, I'd never turn back.

I hope that helps. If you ever any other questions, fire away. :)

Last edited:
Cool tune dude :D
Mick and Keef thank you. :D

I'm back on Remos right now. Been for a while. Coated Emperor tops, Clear Ambassador bottoms.
Ah, I didn't know that. Cool. Yeah, so we're close. An Emperor is 2 Dimplomats stuck together, and a Pinstripe is 2 Ambassadors stuck together. So, I use a thicker skin than you on top, and you use a thicker skin than me on the bottom.

Vocals are perfect - not only lead but the backing and doubles are outstanding. Another excellent piece sir....
Love the chime as I call it of the backing music - very cool. You should be selling drum samples - JFC they sound excellent, especially that tight snare. There's just nothing I can criticize about his mix - damn you :D

Vocals are perfect - not only lead but the backing and doubles are outstanding. Another excellent piece sir....
Love the chime as I call it of the backing music - very cool. You should be selling drum samples - JFC they sound excellent, especially that tight snare. There's just nothing I can criticize about his mix - damn you :D
That's really cool, Ido. I appreciate that. Thanx dude. :cool:

Back